Please advise: Offered a gig

Neilage

I received the following text from a band leader via Bandix:

"This is ____ ____ college band. Can you play a 3-hour drum gig in Athens, GA this Friday? $300 and do you do cover music?"
After texting back and forth, I've learned that the setlist is pretty straight-forward classic rock with some country tunes. Nothing really complex that I can't handle (Sweet Home Alabama, Brown Eyed Girl, Honky Tonk Woman, etc.).
I texted back asking if it was a backline kit.
Should I be concerned that I have never met or played with these people?

"This is ____ ____ college band. Can you play a 3-hour drum gig in Athens, GA this Friday? $300 and do you do cover music?"
After texting back and forth, I've learned that the setlist is pretty straight-forward classic rock with some country tunes. Nothing really complex that I can't handle (Sweet Home Alabama, Brown Eyed Girl, Honky Tonk Woman, etc.).
Have they got an online presence or showreel so you can check them out? :unsure:

I was offered a gig similar to this a few months ago and my answer was yes. Depending on your answers to these questions, you answer should be yes too.

- If the pay is guaranteed, what do you have to lose?
- Are you losing money due to travel costs? (especially if you need to stay overnight)
- Do you know any of the players, even by reputation? As long as there's no people with red flags flying over their heads, it should be fine.

I agree with Bo, either you're looking for your next gig or you don't have a next gig.

How far do you live from Athens? Less than 100 miles?

No reason not to talk to them like it's a real job. I would take the conversation off of the site, get their name, email, and phone number, call them up and talk to them about it. Get the details-- exact location, load in time, set up time, start time, finish time, dress, food/accommodations, parking, what you need to bring, who pays you and when, etc...

It would be suspect if a) they won't tell you who they are, b) they don't ask anything about you or your ability to play the music, c) they can't give you details about the event, d) they ask to give you a $3000 check and you give them back $2700.

I'm all in!

They are definitely legit as they have representation via multiple agencies:

I am about an hour and a half drive from Athens; UGA is my Alma Mater.
My only concern is that it is a college football game day weekend and there are zero hotels.

Update:

While I was on a conference call for work, he texted that he found another drummer.
I thanked him for considering me and asked that he reach out should he find himself in need of a drummer in the future.
Bummer though, as it sounds like it would have been a blast.

Update:

While I was on a conference call for work, he texted that he found another drummer.
I thanked him for considering me and asked that he reach out should he find himself in need of a drummer in the future.
Bummer though, as it sounds like it would have been a blast.

Bummer, but……Probably needed to give confirmation to whoever’s hiring for the venue and needed someone’s answer quick or lose the gig . No sweat though as he’s got your name and number for future fill ins 👍🏼

Last edited:
For $300 I would do it and be happy about it no matter how bad it is. I would, however, try to verify their existence ;)

Reactions: A J
I realize that it got cancelled, but I would have done it.

If it goes well, great!

If not, then you’ll have some stories to tell.

For the chance to make a band connection I'd probably drive back home that night. Or go on down South GA and stay with a friend who always asks me to visit.

I would have done it. The material sounds easy and standard stuff. As long as they're legit and they provided all the necessary information. Sorry it didn't work out for you. Next time, just say yes and do it!

"Neilage left home Friday afternoon on September 22nd for Athens and was never seen again."

Sounds risky to me. Give me their email, I will cover it.

Back