Let's see your POV/ Driver's seat pics

Is tuning the second bass drum a PITA? I know I’d struggle getting them to match pitch& tone.

They are still very new, so to date I have not had to do anything significant.
Did the initial set up in the shop, took around six hours to get it how I wanted it.

Last edited:
Can I ask how did you think it would work?

At purchase I bought the double and a single.
I wanted the versatilaty of being able to play different combinations between left and right (it looked good on paper).
I originally had the left beater on the right drum wound back so I could treat it as two singles but the left side drum beater wasn't striking the head cleanly because it was too far back.
I am happy I purchased both, if I want to break it down into a smaller kit, I still have a double kick.
Was pretty much one of those things you have to find out for yourself along the way..... :unsure:

Last night's gig with the "Cajon kit." A cheap LP cajon with a Meinl cable driven pedal. Acro snare, crash/ride, and pie-plate hi hats (from an old cocktail kit) that actually sound pretty good. We were jammed into a corner of a fairly small pub, but the Cajon had an amazingly loud kick sound. The hardware is from an old Peavey kit and is really light and sturdy enough for the job. Load out took about 5 minutes!
Rays Used Cars Cajon Kit Arrowhead 2-18-2023 small.jpg

Last night's gig with the "Cajon kit." A cheap LP cajon with a Meinl cable driven pedal. Acro snare, crash/ride, and pie-plate hi hats (from an old cocktail kit) that actually sound pretty good. We were jammed into a corner of a fairly small pub, but the Cajon had an amazingly loud kick sound. The hardware is from an old Peavey kit and is really light and sturdy enough for the job. Load out took about 5 minutes!
View attachment 130769
That K crash ride probably cost more than the rest combined haha. I had that same GP cocktail kit and I agree that the little set of hi hat-like cymbals it included didn't sound that bad for what they are.

A quick pic of the Saturn i get to use these days. Kit that is provided in the rehearsal space since i can't store my Pearl Masters, but this is one of the best sounding provided kits I've played.

The stands are a nightmare though, so i bring my own: 2 Yamaha stands with Pearl and Gibraltar cymbal booms is all i need!

Thought to mix things up a bit and take out the Paiste 3000 Reflector 18" China Type again after many years. Got it 8 or 9 years ago for a practice set and mothballed it after a year or so until now. Amazing how easily it blends in the with the 2002 Novo, but yeah... same alloy! Looks really beat up, no idea how old it is (3000 series were around from 1986 - 1995), but it sounds amazing. Got it on eBay or something similar, but funny to have a cymbal that predates when i started drumming (around 1998/1999).

20230224_150714.jpg

A quick pic of the Saturn i get to use these days. Kit that is provided in the rehearsal space since i can't store my Pearl Masters, but this is one of the best sounding provided kits I've played.

The stands are a nightmare though, so i bring my own: 2 Yamaha stands with Pearl and Gibraltar cymbal booms is all i need!

Thought to mix things up a bit and take out the Paiste 3000 Reflector 18" China Type again after many years. Got it 8 or 9 years ago for a practice set and mothballed it after a year or so until now. Amazing how easily it blends in the with the 2002 Novo, but yeah... same alloy! Looks really beat up, no idea how old it is (3000 series were around from 1986 - 1995), but it sounds amazing. Got it on eBay or something similar, but funny to have a cymbal that predates when i started drumming (around 1998/1999).

View attachment 130942
Oh yeah... cymbal city! I love your rig! Enjoy!

my 66 G 20/12/14/brass/ rwp RBs'

LisaSat 001.JPG

scored 48 years ago : )
micro changed to sidelightning in 76 and rail changed out to a Lud post (oh well)
pearl covering still an 8 out a 10

LisaSat 003.JPG

LisaSat 002.JPG

Cheers,

Last edited:
LisaSat 009.JPG

Fusion left- 9x10 10x12 12x14 14x18
Jazz (bebop Max Roach) right- 8x12 14x14 14x20
One is not the other
Fusion sizes 21st century fusion contemporary flexible adaptable to anything modern or retro
Jazz sizes tom depths 20th century pretty much in 60s Motown or Miles tonalities

I brought out the 60s set
for a space limited gig tonight. I'll be missing the expansive tones of the Modern toms.. Will have to adapt Quickly (or so I say)
But (beside snares..) I dislike going backwards.
That 66 Brass has not sounded better to me in 48 years than it does today (I must be finally at peace with - and found- it's tension sweet spot : )
the 20" bass drum has always sounded good to me; I'll just miss - the vast breadth expressiveness of the power (9x10,10x12) and fast (12x14) toms.
Don't cry for me Argentina.

2:30 pm edit: After packing and loading the 1966 Gretsch RB (after I think they're are heavier than the 2000s BKs.. whew. The Big lug 14x14 alone felt like 25 lbs (lol..

Last edited:
Back