Finally! 15" HiHats for my kit!

Part of me very much wants to go the 15" route. There was a time I played 16" crashes for hats and loved the sound and feel. Now I'm pretty happy with the sounds I get from my collection of 14"s. But I'm always on the lookout for a set of 15"s I might be able to fall in love with.

Part of me very much wants to go the 15" route. There was a time I played 16" crashes for hats and loved the sound and feel. Now I'm pretty happy with the sounds I get from my collection of 14"s. But I'm always on the lookout for a set of 15"s I might be able to fall in love with.
I kept holding out saying meh but now I see what the rave is all about. Definitely if you see something pull the trigger.

...That is cool....Doug Clifford/CCR...I believe... went up to 17" hats on their recordings.....Love em'.
BUT....I also love John Guerin's 13" hats.........many hats.

...That is cool....Doug Clifford/CCR...I believe... went up to 17" hats on their recordings.....Love em'.
BUT....I also love John Guerin's 13" hats.........many hats.
17s?! That's insane! And I have a side pair of 13" hats on one of my other kits. They were great for some things but definitely tough to use full blown...

CORRECTION!-......from Dan RH......who spoke to John Fogerty's son Jeff.....on a gig.
Clifford played......18" Hats.......John Fogerty told Clifford he could not hear the standard 14's.
2........ 18" crashes........"chicking"

They sound to good here so I went to YouTube and listened. I wasn't (as) impressed but I liked them. You were on YouTube going between stage and medium. I liked the AAX mediums best. I used 15 paiste soundedge forevvver. I'm playing a pair of 14" Sabian Pro hats that blew my mind for such cheap tuna can lid hihats. As of late the 13" K/Z hats that Cole Paramore plays on YouTube is flipping me out and has been for a month. I still think your clip here has them sounding better than they actually do as weird as that is to say. This post had me confused for a minute. I'm still flipped over the 13 KZ's but your playing here has the 15's sounding very very nice....but not enough to change my mind...(I think). 😕.

I also switched to 15" lately - Paiste Formula 602 Modern Essentials. Guess I'll never go back. What a creamy, well balanced range of sound with perfect pitch.

I played 14" hats since I started, but about two years ago I discovered 15" K Light hats.
Plenty volume for my purposes, without being harsh or overpowering. Lovely, lush and
full sound that works well for different situational requirements. Playing them just under
half-open is a joyous aural experience!:love:

Last edited:
They sound to good here so I went to YouTube and listened. I wasn't (as) impressed but I liked them. You were on YouTube going between stage and medium. I liked the AAX mediums best. I used 15 paiste soundedge forevvver. I'm playing a pair of 14" Sabian Pro hats that blew my mind for such cheap tuna can lid hihats. As of late the 13" K/Z hats that Cole Paramore plays on YouTube is flipping me out and has been for a month. I still think your clip here has them sounding better than they actually do as weird as that is to say. This post had me confused for a minute. I'm still flipped over the 13 KZ's but your playing here has the 15's sounding very very nice....but not enough to change my mind...(I think). 😕.

hahaha well swing over to Wisconsin and you can try them all out lol

24" Ride Hats. That's where it's at. 😉

I Joke, but Marketing are jumping on board with "Ride hats" as I write this post.

There is a vid somewhere on YouTube and that guy used two gongs as a pair of hats.
It sounds exactly like you thought they would. Clang.

Back