Finally! 15" HiHats for my kit!

Part of me very much wants to go the 15" route. There was a time I played 16" crashes for hats and loved the sound and feel. Now I'm pretty happy with the sounds I get from my collection of 14"s. But I'm always on the lookout for a set of 15"s I might be able to fall in love with.

Part of me very much wants to go the 15" route. There was a time I played 16" crashes for hats and loved the sound and feel. Now I'm pretty happy with the sounds I get from my collection of 14"s. But I'm always on the lookout for a set of 15"s I might be able to fall in love with.
I kept holding out saying meh but now I see what the rave is all about. Definitely if you see something pull the trigger.

...That is cool....Doug Clifford/CCR...I believe... went up to 17" hats on their recordings.....Love em'.
BUT....I also love John Guerin's 13" hats.........many hats.

...That is cool....Doug Clifford/CCR...I believe... went up to 17" hats on their recordings.....Love em'.
BUT....I also love John Guerin's 13" hats.........many hats.
17s?! That's insane! And I have a side pair of 13" hats on one of my other kits. They were great for some things but definitely tough to use full blown...

CORRECTION!-......from Dan RH......who spoke to John Fogerty's son Jeff.....on a gig.
Clifford played......18" Hats.......John Fogerty told Clifford he could not hear the standard 14's.
2........ 18" crashes........"chicking"

I'd love to have some 15" hats in the future as well. 15" 2002 Sound Edge hats are the ones i have set my sights on, but think that 15" Rude hats would be perfect.

They sound to good here so I went to YouTube and listened. I wasn't (as) impressed but I liked them. You were on YouTube going between stage and medium. I liked the AAX mediums best. I used 15 paiste soundedge forevvver. I'm playing a pair of 14" Sabian Pro hats that blew my mind for such cheap tuna can lid hihats. As of late the 13" K/Z hats that Cole Paramore plays on YouTube is flipping me out and has been for a month. I still think your clip here has them sounding better than they actually do as weird as that is to say. This post had me confused for a minute. I'm still flipped over the 13 KZ's but your playing here has the 15's sounding very very nice....but not enough to change my mind...(I think). 😕.

I also switched to 15" lately - Paiste Formula 602 Modern Essentials. Guess I'll never go back. What a creamy, well balanced range of sound with perfect pitch.

I played 14" hats since I started, but about two years ago I discovered 15" K Light hats.
Plenty volume for my purposes, without being harsh or overpowering. Lovely, lush and
full sound that works well for different situational requirements. Playing them just under
half-open is a joyous aural experience!:love:

Last edited:
They sound to good here so I went to YouTube and listened. I wasn't (as) impressed but I liked them. You were on YouTube going between stage and medium. I liked the AAX mediums best. I used 15 paiste soundedge forevvver. I'm playing a pair of 14" Sabian Pro hats that blew my mind for such cheap tuna can lid hihats. As of late the 13" K/Z hats that Cole Paramore plays on YouTube is flipping me out and has been for a month. I still think your clip here has them sounding better than they actually do as weird as that is to say. This post had me confused for a minute. I'm still flipped over the 13 KZ's but your playing here has the 15's sounding very very nice....but not enough to change my mind...(I think). 😕.

hahaha well swing over to Wisconsin and you can try them all out lol

24" Ride Hats. That's where it's at. 😉

I Joke, but Marketing are jumping on board with "Ride hats" as I write this post.

There is a vid somewhere on YouTube and that guy used two gongs as a pair of hats.
It sounds exactly like you thought they would. Clang.

Back