15" Hi Hats Shootout - 10 Hats, 5 Manufacturers

My appetite for Meinl has been growing, and the Pure Alloy Hats don't disappoint, but there's something about Paiste that reaches deep into my soul.

Paiste moves me, it drives my taste for more.

Many thanks for putting this together DCP!

Your reviews and shootouts are second to none.

That Agop Mantra is really nice.
I have the 15" K Sweet and like that one too...

Fantastically well done video. As for which I'd like.....hmmmm...I've listened to them again over the last three days and I'll give them a 7 out of 10. 7 I'd like to have an 3 I'd pass on. Just like the crash comparison video. Really narrowed it down for me. LOL!

I didn't even watch it yet but I have to comment how timely this personally is. I sense that I'm being called into 15" hi hat territory, so I'm interested to hear if any of these wiggle my piggys. Thanks a metric ton Shane.

I liked the new Sabian complex hat's. Since I purchased those Paiste 602 ME they have turned into my favorite hats. That extra little bit of playing surface is nice, and the sound is a bit milder not as sharp.

Another outstanding video from the DCP Crew. Thanks for providing these to the drumming community.

The surprising thing about this particular video is how many of the featured hi-hats I wouldn't mind having and playing.

I've played a number of Paiste, Sabian, Zildjian & K hi-hats back in the day (in different sizes). The clear winner of this video for
me is the 15" Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary hi-hats. But I'm biased . . . I own them. Definitely my favorite hi-hats of all time.

Funny - I got to try four of those hats (not the exact hats in the vid of course). In that video, Í liked the K Sweets the most, followed by the Paiste 602, Istanbul Anniversary and New Beats.
In real life, the winner was Paiste, then K Sweet, NB, and I didn´t like that particular pair of Istanbuls at all. The 602s went home with me and I absolutely love them.

Another outstanding video from the DCP Crew. Thanks for providing these to the drumming community.

The surprising thing about this particular video is how many of the featured hi-hats I wouldn't mind having and playing.

I've played a number of Paiste, Sabian, Zildjian & K hi-hats back in the day (in different sizes). The clear winner of this video for
me is the 15" Istanbul Agop 30th Anniversary hi-hats. But I'm biased . . . I own them. Definitely my favorite hi-hats of all time.

Absolutely agree. The 30th Anniversary hats sound magical, like old Ks from the 1950s.

I didn't even watch it yet but I have to comment how timely this personally is. I sense that I'm being called into 15" hi hat territory, so I'm interested to hear if any of these wiggle my piggys. Thanks a metric ton Shane.

I'm in exactly the same boat, been feeling the draw of the 15" hats for a while now.

Reactions: TJK
One that wasn't in the comparison but is really good and had a huge difference in 14" vs. 15" in the same model is the Meinl Classic Customs Dark. When I heard the 14's, I thought they didn't sound bad, but when I tried the 15's, I was instantly reaching for my wallet. If you're looking at 15" hats, definitely worth checking out.

I really like these shootout videos! However, they keep leaving out my favorite brand: Dream. I have a pair of 15" Dream Contact Hi-Hats that sound every bit as good (or better) than any of those in the video. I wish they would expand to more brands like Dream, and possibly Bosphorus too.............

no Keropes or K Cons ?, most sound generic ,602's for me.I don't think they lack volume they lack unwarranted overtones. Keropes sound like 30th Anniverary's..or vice versa. Be good to see some old and new comparisons as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back