Search results

1. J

XxxXxxXxxXxxXxXx...

... and other drum clichés. Variant on the above, (U2, Beautiful Day) would be XxxXxxXx (Coldplay, Clocks), or "resolving quarter note triplets". Working on new material yesterday, songwriter mentioned he was thinking along the lines of Coldplay for a drum part and I knew what he meant and...
  2. J

Led Zeppelin Bootleg Database.

For the ultimate fan... http://starship.gotdns.com/zeppelin/beauty/
  3. J

Your bands press / promo pics.

Not so much just you and your band on stage, unless it's stuff you actually use to promote. Let's see 'em. (Thanks for the idea, Andy) Here's Cedar: I'm top right.
  4. J

(not as) Recent (home) studio sessions, audio.

Got a round of mixes from a session we (Cedar) did a couple months ago, I employed a 4-mic technique to see how it turned out, without having spent anytime mixing, I thought it wasn't a bad representation of the kit and look forward to seeing what some eq and other studio magic will do. Here's...
  5. J

Recent studio sessions, sample audio and vid.

Couple little clips from a session I did last week, both vids offer room sound from the digi cam as well as a board mix we bounced out at the end of the day. This one starts with room and moves to bounced mix about a minute in. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQSKE_MvjkQ This one does the...
  6. J

Benefit show.

Played tonight, F-Cancer benefit. Good crowd: Took some video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6xxkX_zry74 Both the singer and I have lost people close to us to cancer, felt good to be a part of this event. Become aware of sodium nitrate.
  7. J

Drum Techs

Inspired by Larry's "Roadies" thread, (in my best Jerry Seinfeld voice...) What's the deal with Drum Techs? The new band is heading into a rather expensive studio next month. I'm used to having all the time in the world to get my drums up to snuff for recordings while in the studio as I...
  8. J

Joined a new band.

9. J

Would I be crazy to part out my kit?

I'd love to never part with any musical instrument, but a recent haul of unused stuff from my jam space back to the apartment has me considering otherwise. Part of the considering otherwise is that since I've moved to the 4-piece, I'm sitting on a matching Kick, rack and floor tom that could...
  10. J

Album done, feel free to download.

Just got back from a few weeks on the road with my gf, upon my return I was handed a mastered copy of the album. This is Cedar's 3rd album, titled "Alternate Endings". We are pressing vinyl and doing a digital downloads, no cd's this time. 11 songs available for free download to the good...
  11. J

More from the new album.

Hey everyone, more lurking than posting for myself recently; not working actually has me on the internet less... go figure. Still plugging away at mixes for the upcoming album, we are getting really close and have scheduled mastering for the beginning of October, we have been well over a year...
  12. J

Bass drum technique; what am I doing?

Never really given much thought to what I'm doing, but after reading some of the threads on bass drum technique and not seeing anything much that I could relate with, I became curious - what am I doing? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8uOIoYVSds Please excuse the lack of editing the head and...
  13. J

My new toy.

1985 Dodge Camper Van. The girl and I plan on doing some traveling this summer / fall, but it will also act as a springboard for the duo we will work on whilst traveling and have a pipe dream of it becoming a way to cover the costs of traveling. I may convince my girl to let me take a band...
  14. J

Now we're getting somewhere...

A track from our 3rd indie album, first mix I've heard that felt was worthy of showing you folks. http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9381485 Was the first recording I've ever done that included a scratch drum track. We recorded live off the floor in our jam space to a click with the other...
  15. J

Ingenious use of hardware.

A band that practices in my rehearsal space recently got a new drummer. He's a lefty, and usually there are other drummers in before me so I never really get to see his set up, (we all share my old Tama kit). Last night I went to jam with my band and I assume no one had been in the space since...
  16. J

The Average Drum Kit.

Not sure where the thought came from, but I was thinking about collecting data from members here to calculate what the average drum kit is. Included would be not only sizes, number of drums / cymbals, but positions as well. How high is your throne vs. the height of your snare, etc...
  17. J

Taste of our own medicine.

Although the majority of my drumming is done at a rehearsal place designed for making lots of noise, there have been times when I've not been so fortunate. I know from folks posting here that for the most part, we've all had to deal with complaints regarding how loud and annoying we can be from...
  18. J

My "Wall of Shame".

17" A Custom 18" A Custom 2 x 16" AAX Studio (1 brilliant, 1 traditional finish) 17" AAX Studio 18" Thin Crash (first cymbal I ever broke, still have the bell somewhere, used it as an effect for a while) 15" K Dark Thin The ones with whole sections missing were my practice cymbals for a while...
  19. J

"New" cymbals.

I've had this 20" Zildjian from the 70's for about 8 years and never really played it much - really doesn't match my playing style or my other cymbals. Last week I got a good deal on some hats from the same era via cl, the stamps match the ride and I thought I'd try them out together. The hats...
  20. J

Living the dream.

I've been in New Zealand for a week now, got 5 shows under the belt, 19 more to go. Playing music for people who have never heard you and having a dance party break out, seeing beautiful sights you've never seen and meeting some of the nicest people ever. I've been playing drums for 20 years...
Back