Would I be crazy to part out my kit?

jer

Silver Member
I'd love to never part with any musical instrument, but a recent haul of unused stuff from my jam space back to the apartment has me considering otherwise.

Part of the considering otherwise is that since I've moved to the 4-piece, I'm sitting on a matching Kick, rack and floor tom that could potentially clear space and bring in a few hundred bucks.

The kit is an "Obelisk", Keller shells, single point brass lugs, black lacquer finish. Great sounding and looking drums, but almost nobody has heard of them. I've got 7 pieces, I use the 18" kick, 10" rack and 14" floor and am storing a 22" kick, 12" rack and 16" floor, I'd hold on to the snare.

To my knowledge, based on research - I've never seen an Obelisk kit in this configuration, my thought is that this is truly a "one-of-a-kind" kit, based on this alone, am I being crazy even considering parting it out? OR due to such a low demand for these drums, would it even matter?

When I bought it, I was buying a kit that would last me forever. Although I intended on playing the whole kit when I got them, I also considered that I was covering "all my bases" by having different size options for different gigs. Turns out I've been happy with the 18/10/14 sizes for the styles of music I play, both live and recorded. I see little need in the future to keep a 22" Kick when I know I'm happy with the 18". Likewise with the toms.

I've love the idea of someday having a place to set them up as 2 kits side by side, but I also don't really have a plan to find that place anytime soon... the drums I'd part with have no sentimental value as I hardly every use them.

If I did decide to sell, I'd use the money to upgrade my gigging kit further... a deeper snare, a dryer crash, some new hardware. I'm torn.

Thanks for taking the time to read, I look forward to the voice of reason.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
jer, what are the chances of you wanting to replace those parts in the future and kicking yourself for selling?

jer

Silver Member
One question, would I ever want to run double bass again?

If I did, I'd get a double pedal. Although I did enjoy getting different sounds, a double pedal would suffice.

Would I ever want to add more toms to my existing kit?

After downsizing from the whole kit, I played as a 5-piece with 2 down for a good while. After the NZ tour, (which I played a 4 piece on), I realized that I could just as easily get by with out the second floor. I think I'd only want 2 racks if I were playing a double bass kit...

Would I ever what to play a 4-piece kit in those sizes?

If I did, I think I'd be in the market for some vintage Ludwigs.

Where I'd be kicking myself would be when I wanted to setup a big kit for fun, or someday when I'm not gigging and have the space to set it up permanently. Neither of which I see happening anytime soon :)

eamesuser

Silver Member
Keeping the other pieces would be a good idea if you thought you would be in a position to set them up as a practice kit where you live,or wanted to leave a practice kit set up at a rehearsal space,but if you want a different flavor vintage would offer you something different,and may inspire you to play different I have found when bouncing from a modern custom kit to a vintage style one.How much money you could get for the Obelisk kit might be an influencing factor also,from what I have seen in this economy some very nice smaller/boutique makers that have been around a while like Spaun and GMS are taking a price beating,especially in the local market if they are not well known.

jer

Silver Member
Keeping the other pieces would be a good idea if you thought you would be in a position to set them up as a practice kit where you live,or wanted to leave a practice kit set up at a rehearsal space,but if you want a different flavor vintage would offer you something different,and may inspire you to play different I have found when bouncing from a modern custom kit to a vintage style one.How much money you could get for the Obelisk kit might be an influencing factor also,from what I have seen in this economy some very nice smaller/boutique makers that have been around a while like Spaun and GMS are taking a price beating,especially in the local market if they are not well known.
Great thoughts.

I do already have a practice kit at my jam space, I share it with other guys - otherwise these extra pieces would be there instead of my older Tama kit.

Yeah the idea of something quite different has me thinking vintage, instead of the same drums in different sizes. Don't get me wrong, there is no way selling these drums would collect enough scratch to get me a kit I'd be after, I'd do the upgrading to my existing kit. Vintage would be down the road if I ever got the itch enough to get into larger sizes.

You make a good point about getting any value out of the remaining kit. I doubt someone who has never heard of the brand would be willing to pay what I feel they are worth... I guess it would come down to me sticking to my guns on setting myself a "reserve" price and being patient that someone would come along who knows what they are getting. That may just be the determining factor.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Jer, buyer ignorance of quality is no reason to sell at a low price. Yes, of course, something's only worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it, but selling at a lower value than you know it to be worth in terms of peers, will always eat at you. Letting something go, & getting a good price for it, leaves you with a comfortable feeling, even if that turns out to be the wrong decision further down the line. Let price be the determining factor.