(not as) Recent (home) studio sessions, audio.

jer

Silver Member
Got a round of mixes from a session we (Cedar) did a couple months ago, I employed a 4-mic technique to see how it turned out, without having spent anytime mixing, I thought it wasn't a bad representation of the kit and look forward to seeing what some eq and other studio magic will do.

Here's a pic of the kit and mics:

For the actual tracking, I put a moving blanket over the front of the kick, but not touching the skin at all.

Here's a track from the session:

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10017027

Also, we did one of those late night "hey we're done all the songs we wanted to do and there's still beer in the fridge, let's jam on something new and track it" songs. No drums but I play banjo, (be afraid, aydee). IMHO one of the nicest songs this band has ever produced.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=10017021

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Thought the kit sounded great in the first clip. A real natural vibe that sits so well in the song. Nice to resist putting it through too much glitter & stardust. Perhaps the kick could use a little definition help.

2nd track, now this I really like. It's the best track I've heard from your band, & one of the most attractive original songs I've heard this year! Superb, & great banjo too! I'd get that track together pretty fast, it would make a superb Christmas song, no, really!

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Freeway - I thought the drums really made that song. Especially the way you mixed up the textures ... it really gave the song a good shape.

Demon Attack - lovely late night music. Playing the banjo! Yep, it worked. Interesting idea to add that - what gave you the idea? Abe's sig? :)

jer

Silver Member
Thought the kit sounded great in the first clip. A real natural vibe that sits so well in the song. Nice to resist putting it through too much glitter & stardust. Perhaps the kick could use a little definition help.

2nd track, now this I really like. It's the best track I've heard from your band, & one of the most attractive original songs I've heard this year! Superb, & great banjo too! I'd get that track together pretty fast, it would make a superb Christmas song, no, really!
I was totally thinking "natural" or "honest" when I decided to mic that way. Agree with definition on the kick, I put the mic on the skin rather than in the hole to soften the blow, which it does, but now I figure I'll have to dial in some snappy-ness to get it a little more in your face for the mix.

Thanks for the comp on that second tune! I was pretty blown away when I got this mix. One of those, "this is my band?" moments where I though maybe iTunes was on shuffle or something...

Freeway - I thought the drums really made that song. Especially the way you mixed up the textures ... it really gave the song a good shape.

Demon Attack - lovely late night music. Playing the banjo! Yep, it worked. Interesting idea to add that - what gave you the idea? Abe's sig? :)
Thanks Pol. I can't give credit to a certain forum member for the banjo. Has more to do with it being too late for drums. Banjo was still in the van from a recent trip, no rules when writing and tracking on the spot.