Recent studio sessions, sample audio and vid.

jer

Silver Member
Couple little clips from a session I did last week, both vids offer room sound from the digi cam as well as a board mix we bounced out at the end of the day.

This one starts with room and moves to bounced mix about a minute in.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQSKE_MvjkQ

This one does the opposite;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TUynmedsYRY

The takes on the video aren't the same takes as the audio, but basic structure is there.

This was the session I was asking about drum techs for, I ended up doing it myself and was happy with the result, thanks to those who encouraged me. I had a couple small issues getting things where I wanted them, specifically my 14" floor didn't seem to want to stop resonating without sacrificing attack, and in the slower tune, the snare I used and how I tuned it buzzed more than I would have liked when I hit my rack tom.

Overall a great couple days, we did 3 tunes with this 7-piece band and are really only left with acoustic guitar and vocals to track.

Some pics in this album from the day, bunch of drum and mic shots as well as some randoms of the band / crew. - http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b226/jeremydrury/Recording Dec 2010/

[EDIT] PS - this is the best thing ever invented:

Last edited:

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Hey jer, great idea to cut in / out the full track. It really strips away the mystique of studio recordings and gives a real sense of what's happening.

The first track was an eye opener (ear opener?). At first it seemed pretty dire but once you get the drum sound through good mics and mixed with the rest of the music it sounded really good.

As for the second tune, I really enjoyed your country shuffle and the variations played with your usual inventiveness, but all that banjo seems a bit cruel to at least one forum member :)

jer

Silver Member
Hey jer, great idea to cut in / out the full track. It really strips away the mystique of studio recordings and gives a real sense of what's happening.

The first track was an eye opener (ear opener?). At first it seemed pretty dire but once you get the drum sound through good mics and mixed with the rest of the music it sounded really good.

As for the second tune, I really enjoyed your country shuffle and the variations played with your usual inventiveness, but all that banjo seems a bit cruel to at least one forum member :)
I always feel a little odd about syncing a video of one take with the audio of another because they never match perfectly, it seemed like a way to make it "real" without posting an entire vid of either just my playing or just the recorded audio.

I was very surprised that the producer and engineer liked how that snare sounded in the control room on the slower tune - it sounded rather unpleasant sitting next to it. A great eye/ear opener for me knowing that what sounds good to your ear might not always translate the same through mics.

Sorry about all the banjo.

Just kidding, no I'm not. Expect more.