Album done, feel free to download.

jer

Silver Member
Just got back from a few weeks on the road with my gf, upon my return I was handed a mastered copy of the album.

This is Cedar's 3rd album, titled "Alternate Endings". We are pressing vinyl and doing a digital downloads, no cd's this time.

11 songs available for free download to the good folks at DW here: http://www.soundclick.com/cedar - (in case it's hard to figure out, it's the songs labeled 1-11...)

Enjoy, thanks.
Jer.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Jer, great stuff. Absolutely not my thing, but compelling listening. I love the guitar sound in track 1, the full groove intro into track 2 (tasty kick drum placement), lovely bass & drum groove through track 3, track 6 kinda works for me, track 7 has a strong guitar hook, lovely beat work on track 11, couldn't load track 10, error message.

Anyhow, I really wish this was my kinda stuff, because it's so well done. Major props to any act that's penning their own stuff, but most of the tunes don't hook me in. The rhythm section is the star of the band for me. Always nicely locked in and inventive. Got to be honest, most of the guitar playing grates on me. I find it just a little sour & sometimes sloppy. Vocals are good, but, again, for me, lack statement & definition. Overall, again IMHO, a band of two halves. A tight driving rhythm foundation with a kinda thin & floating top end.

Super impressed with your playing though Jer. Lovely kick placement & cymbal work through all the numbers. I hope this does well for you. I'm sure your target audience will soak it all up.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Thanks jer - very generous of you! I won't have time to listen to them all tonight but just letting you know that you're on the radar :)

Just listened to 6 now. No drums but a lovely atmosphere. Now listening to 1 ... also ethereal and imaginative. Gorgeous band sound and your playing is spot on as usual. I really like your band!

Will listen and comment more tomorrow after work. BTW, I had an error trying to download 10.

jer

Silver Member
10 should be working now...

Andy, for a guy who's thing this isn't, I really appreciate the feedback. Most of my circle of friends listen to this kinda stuff so you usually get the "yeah, sounds great!" response. Although the guitars work for me, I'd have to lean a bit to the side of wanting something more from the vocals. I think the guy is a talented singer and lyricist, I just wish a confidence level could be reached to help him reach his potential. Also, thanks for the kudos on my playing. :)

Pol, ahhh, track 6. Funny thing about that track. We dropped 2 songs from the sessions to allow the album to fit on vinyl and retain a certain quality, I would have much preferred one of those other tracks over this. Although you can't really hear it all that great (or at all), I play organ on it.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Jer, why did you put it to vinyl? It's made a bit of a comeback here but is still very much a niche interest.

As for #6, yer talkin to an old Brian Eno fan so I have that leaning :)

Just listening to #2 now. Killer track, very cool arrangement. In some tracks your singer struggled a little with the high notes but he sang that one great.

jer

Silver Member
As for #6, yer talkin to an old Brian Eno fan so I have that leaning :)

Just listening to #2 now. Killer track, very cool arrangement. In some tracks your singer struggled a little with the high notes but he sang that one great.
Not that I wasn't unhappy with track 6, I just felt as though one of our more... umm... 'songs we didn't write on the spot in a heavily altered state' should be on the album.

The idea came up to auto-tune some of those notes that are maybe a few cents off, although we aren't dead against this, we feel good about not having used it anywhere on the album.

Last edited:

jer

Silver Member
Jer, why did you put it to vinyl? It's made a bit of a comeback here but is still very much a niche interest.
The boxes (and boxes) of unsold cd's we all have in our possession was one of the first thoughts when deciding on a format for this album. We had no interest in adding to these piles. Doing a digital release was obvious, but we still wanted something we could hold in our hands. Vinyl, making a strong comeback here and actually having higher sales growth rates than digital, was always a fantasy for this group of music fans. We are starting with a shorter run than we would with cd's (it's about the same cost for 300 records as it is for 1000 cd's) and can charge a bit more so that a larger portion of our costs are covered by moving the 300 units - we wouldn't do the same selling 300 cd's at $10 a pop, (the going rate for indie bands cd's here).

It just so happens that the niche market buying vinyl tends primarily to be fans of music similar to what we do, so it's was a good fit there as well.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
Cheers Jer, you really need to take my comments in the context of a guy that doesn't get the vibe. My very personal issue with the guitar is more a timing than a notation thing. I think the guitar is especially highlighted because the vocals don't stamp much of an identity on the tracks. The guitar almost becomes the lead melody. That's cool, but if something's the main feature, it needs to be nailed. The guitar playing wanders somewhere between washy/dreamy and rhythmic. To my ear, it needs to be one or the other at any given point.

All that said, it's still a bloody good bit of music making, and you should be rightly proud.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
Jer I really like your drumming, your drum sounds, but especially what you choose to play and how you play it. The final product is very professional sounding.

I hope you have to print about 10 million more discs.

On a scale of 1 to 10...how satisfied are you with your own personal effort?

jer

Silver Member
Jer I really like your drumming, your drum sounds, but especially what you choose to play and how you play it. The final product is very professional sounding.

I hope you have to print about 10 million more discs.

On a scale of 1 to 10...how satisfied are you with your own personal effort?
Thanks Larry, super nice compliment!

Your question is one I haven't considered until now... sure, there are a couple things I would do differently given the opportunity - but there really isn't much.

Every hit on there is intentional. We weren't paying by the hour to track drums so if I wasn't happy, I did it again until I was. I also did my own editing, so anything that slipped through the cracks during tracking was cleaned up by me. From a sheer performance standpoint, I'd say a 10.

From a musical standpoint, I really focused on playing for the songs and picking my spots wisely on this album, not something I paid much attention to as much on previous efforts by the same band. For the most part, I feel I do a decent job of this - there are still a few spots I feel I could have backed off even more, but at the same time I wish I spiced things up or just plain played something different in other spots. I'll be more critical of myself here and say 8, but I am quite proud of the end result and will feel confident promoting a product I believe in.

larryace

"Uncle Larry"
A very honest evaluation jer. It's great that you had that much control over your drums in front of and behind the mics. I thought you fit the music beautifully, held back enough, let it fly enough, and you are an active integral part of the music rather than just serving a function.