More from the new album.

jer

Silver Member
Hey everyone, more lurking than posting for myself recently; not working actually has me on the internet less... go figure.

Still plugging away at mixes for the upcoming album, we are getting really close and have scheduled mastering for the beginning of October, we have been well over a year on this project so far.

What I have for you today is 2 versions of the same tune - first of which is a jam space recording of the first time we played it as a full band, I'm guessing that it's my first crack at it at all based on my performance; in my defense I'll say I was probably focusing more on listening than anything. Sound is crappy, (recorded on a MacBook's internal mic), and it's kinda boring.

'ere: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9678431

I posted here some time ago asking for suggestions for household items to use as a drum kit, this was the song I had in mind. After toying around with boxes, cans, bottles and random stuff, I gave up. I just wasn't happy with any sounds I was getting.

The bass player was messing around with ideas himself and looped a piece from a Hammond organ's drum machine, played with eq's and such, we ended up using it on top of the track I recorded originally as a place holder for my "household kit". We didn't intend on using my drums here at all - after hearing first mixes of the song it grew on us and we decided to keep it pretty much as I recorded it, save for some delay effects. The organ drums float in and out, the song will fade out at the end, around the 4 minute mark, we'll do that in mastering.

Here it is: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9678432

Feedback is welcome, otherwise enjoy hearing a song the first time a band tries it verses it being recorded. Cheers.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Classy, jer. Sounds a bit like Coldplay to my ear. What bit is the looped drum machine? Maybe it's late at night and I'm half asleep and I've imbibed a bit much, but I can only hear a drummer going hell for leather - not a machine or household items.

jer

Silver Member
Classy, jer. Sounds a bit like Coldplay to my ear. What bit is the looped drum machine? Maybe it's late at night and I'm half asleep and I've imbibed a bit much, but I can only hear a drummer going hell for leather - not a machine or household items.
Thanks, Pol.

Off the top, the 16th note pattern on hats is the machine, most of it's low end is rolled off leaving the crispier bits. Drops out at around 1:09, comes back in at guitar solo @ 2:29.

Andy

Administrator
Staff member
I love the drumming Jer. Beautifully overplayed in parts, & that's a good thing. I like the juxtaposition of urgent drums and washy vocal that leaves the guitar struggling to find a purpose. That's a very clever piece of tension creation.

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Thanks, Pol.

Off the top, the 16th note pattern on hats is the machine, most of it's low end is rolled off leaving the crispier bits. Drops out at around 1:09, comes back in at guitar solo @ 2:29.
Somewhat less weary and inebriated now :) Locking in with a 16th note hat groove the way you did isn't easy. Kudos! I did notice some flamming early on - not a deal-breaker, though IMO - but it cleaned up later on.

In theory, as Andy said, you were overplaying. But the drums are such a major voice in the song that I think it's more a matter of creating an original feel - an unusual combination of ballad music with maniacal groove drumming to add starch to the shirt - a nice mix!

jer

Silver Member
Thanks folks.

Pol, I'm sorry, I can't take credit for locking in with anything but the click. If anything, the bass player should get the credit for matching the machine with my playing. He spent some time sampling the machine and time compressing it to match the click generated by Protools, the Hammond is analog - can't just punch in a bpm and have it match. On top of that, agree with the flams; my ghosts aren't exactly perfect :p

Here's another track, more of a rocker and exactly what I had in mind when we started tracking...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9683178

Pollyanna

Platinum Member
Pol, I'm sorry, I can't take credit for locking in with anything but the click. If anything, the bass player should get the credit for matching the machine with my playing. He spent some time sampling the machine and time compressing it to match the click generated by Protools, the Hammond is analog - can't just punch in a bpm and have it match. On top of that, agree with the flams; my ghosts aren't exactly perfect :p

Here's another track, more of a rocker and exactly what I had in mind when we started tracking...

http://soundclick.com/share?songid=9683178
Sorry jer, still impressed :) We all know there's two sides to locking in with a click - keeping in line with the clicks and precision with the notes between the clicks. Harder when you're lining up against 16th notes.

The rocker is such a classic indie track. I like your approach to this because these kinds of songs can so easily sound one-dimensional. Are you playing it note-perfect or do you leave yourself a bit of wiggle room in the arrangements? It sounds like the latter, which keeps the whole thing feeling more organic.

You, and the band generally, has good energy and sound in the rocker, and the melody is good. Damned if I can make out the words, though :)