Dear fellow drummers,
Since I was patching up an old steel snare (bought it somewhere around 1988) I was wondering if I could call this snare a vintage snare. My gut feeling said 'yes' but thinking about the real age of it (about 37 years) I thought 'no'. But I was not sure wich was the right answer. So this is my question to you all:
When can you call a drum set or snare drum vintage?

Yeah I'd say maybe over 30 for some, over 40 for sure. I'm sure drums age but is it like wine-age to perfection? I know they say guitars wood age improves sound and I know many drummers believe vintage sounds better. But I wonder how much of that is a real objective sonic difference and how much is our biases showing? Personally I think drum shells are better now, and it's not just the hardware has improved. Of course that's a subjective opinion and I fell in my own dang rabbit hole.

I am not diagreeing, but still I wonder why this makes sense to you?
Answering for myself.....
It's all subjective, nothing hard and fast. As I was a student in the 70's and a professional musician in the 80's, the 70's feels more 'vintage' than the 80's to me.
Also, taking the loose definition from the world of antique fairs etc, anything pre-1983 would be 'vintage'.

Answering for myself.....
It's all subjective, nothing hard and fast. As I was a student in the 70's and a professional musician in the 80's, the 70's feels more 'vintage' than the 80's to me.
Also, taking the loose definition from the world of antique fairs etc, anything pre-1983 would be 'vintage'.
And do you 'believe' drums get better when they age?

There's two points to look at "vintage" from.

From the date we are in this moment.
And as a category in times "previous"

in the first there's an arbitrary agreed upon number- like 20 years- 22 years etc. from the present moment.
In the other it's an agreed upon time frame i.e. Primitive -1899-1920 /Vintage- 1929-1959/ Modern 1960-1975/ Post-Modern etc etc

In other words (loose example) you may be able to get "antique" plates for your 1989 Impala SS but at Pebble Beach that car will be in the "Modern" or post-modern category.. (loose example)

Last edited:
or cymbals; no
methods of - and materials of production -possibly not available or practiced today; is what leads to - that value- judgement at times.

I do. There's something about wood instruments where they have to decide that they are going to stop being a tree and start being a drum (or a guitar, or violin, etc.). It has to do with them drying out and getting harder which takes time, especially with something made of plies.

When can you call a drum set or snare drum vintage?
It's really kind of a sliding scale. The newer the drum you're calling "vintage", the more push-back you're gonna get.

I used the google machine ..... and found one answer to say "anything before the mid-90's". So, you're in the clear by THIS definition ..... but maybe not everyone's definition.

There is no clear established delineation between what is vintage or not. It’s a term that people use to their own benefit.

Some people believe in a sliding deadline, like 25 years, or 30 years, or whatever, where on one day your kit isn’t vintage, but somehow, the next day, something magical happens and *poof!* your kit is suddenly “vintage.” It somehow justifies trying to sell that 1987 Pearl Export for more money.

Some people believe that vintage is an older drum set made with certain manufacturing techniques, from “the good ol’ days” (3-ply drums w/re-rings, Jasper shells, horizontally-seamed metals snares, etc…). “They don’t make ‘em like THIS anymore.” “The wood is tight grained from old growth forests and has aged well.” “You can really see the craftsmanship.”

Vintage is a term originally used to describe things of quality, particularly wine, as “of a certain year” that makes it desirable, but there is no cutoff. “This wine is of a 2015 vintage, from this country, from this grove, yada yada yada…” So, I lean more towards that definition, although, the drums of distinguished quality, to me, are typically of the mid-70s and before. But, I have referred to high end 80s Tamas and Yamahas as “vintage” without batting an eye, so… 🤷‍♂️

Back