What Artist did you worship, but no longer listen too?

Heresy I know but Led Zeppelin - inhaled their albums as a teenager and Bonham was a huge influence on my playing growing up (and continues to be). I picked up a few live bootlegs from record stores in London in the late 80s but it wasn’t really until the advent of YouTube that I really delved into the “magic” of the concerts. I’ve listened to dozens and dozens of performances over the years and apart from the first few years up to ‘71/72, I pretty much find them unlistenable and have given up. I don’t like Plant’s low pitched vocal, Page’s guitar is always too trebly and to my ear very slightly out of tune, and I just can’t handle 35 tedious minutes of D&C or No Quarter. Totally get that you had to be there.. The more I’ve read about Bonham, the more it seems he wasn’t a particularly pleasant guy.

I listen to the albums weekly but definitely without the unadulterated worshipping.
Plant can get pretty annoying

I listen to the albums weekly but definitely without the unadulterated worshipping.
That’s a great point. As much as I still love and listen to The Police (they’re my favourite band), I can’t say that I hero worship them like I did as a youngster. I think it’s important to recognise the flaws in what people do, it’s what makes us human. If there’s someone who, in your eyes, can do no wrong, you’re hero worshiping them and projecting onto them an expectation of perfection that isn’t real or healthy. Thinking about it, I should dig out my Aerosmith albums. :unsure:

There is a bit of a difference though with bands that simply don't put out music anymore so perhaps you don't listen to has often.

I mean, I love Rush. But they haven't put out an album in 8 years, they no longer exist, and as much I love them, I simply don't spend that much time listening to them these days because I've already listened to every Rush album 10,000 times. But that doesn't mean I stopped loving them.

Zep, similar. I grew up hearing them on the radio multiple times a day, and then some. I still like them, but I'm not going out of my way to put them on.

I tend to gravitate to new bands and newer albums, with some classics sprinkled in.

But that's different than bands where I just stopped buying that bands albums (Dream Theater, U2, Metallica)

I think it's a bit different in the metal world (Metallica comments notwithstanding)- once you decide on "your band(s)" that's it for life.

Or maybe I'm just a boring old fart who can't move on :cool:

nope...I am the same way...For me it is Maiden, Rush, Fates Warning and Queensryche....

Well, it's tough to say no longer as I might occasionally put it on for some nostalgic value, but I would say Metallica, The Offspring, Green Day, The Prodigy, Dream Theater. Metallica would be the one band I held highest, and I might occasionally listen to some of their early classics, my band today might even cover a tune or two if we feel like it, but compared to how much I listened to them earlier, I would say I "never" listen to them nowadays. All their newer works are no longer interesting to me (Heard their newest album one time, never felt like putting it on again. Not to say it was bad, just not interesting enough to me). As for the other ones, I had a big punk era in my youth, it was a cool thing then and it brings me back quickly if I were to hear a song on the radio. But yeah, I outgrew it quickly... Dream Theater, well. I just feel they sound too polished, too perfect in a way, I lost interest.

Last edited:
This week I bought four Pink Floyd albums which is new to me

Which ones? These days I find I listen to More and Obscured by Clouds quite a bit more often than I do any of the classic albums. They're not nearly as good as the more obvious choices, but I've heard them so many hundreds of times fewer that they just seem so much fresher.

I picked up a few live bootlegs from record stores in London in the late 80s but it wasn’t really until the advent of YouTube that I really delved into the “magic” of the concerts. I’ve listened to dozens and dozens of performances over the years and apart from the first few years up to ‘71/72, I pretty much find them unlistenable and have given up. I don’t like Plant’s low pitched vocal, Page’s guitar is always too trebly and to my ear very slightly out of tune, and I just can’t handle 35 tedious minutes of D&C or No Quarter.

Listen to enough Led Zeppelin live (and it really doesn't take all that much) and just how sloppy Page could be live is really kind of shocking. Part of it's drugs and/or drink and part of it's that—to his credit—I think his reach often exceeded his grasp. He's still one of my favorite guitarists ever, but yeah...there's only so much live mid-to-late 70s LZ I can handle.

Most of the bands I really enjoyed broke up before I could get sick of them, so, that worked out for me. :D

I was/am a huge Beatles freak and I always listened to Jimmy Smith, jass organist, but I never worshipped anyone. My musical background is such that I can remember , drum, bass, keyboard and brass parts, and not know the members of the band. When I first came to this sight I was amazed at the members knowledge of who all of the drummers were for every band. That wasn't important to me. But I can still hear parts to songs as if it was yesterday. But no hero worship.

p.s. if you want to hear a really good bass part, listen to Son of a Preacher Man, at the end. The bass player is really walking that bass.

My musical background is such that I can remember , drum, bass, keyboard and brass parts, and not know the members of the band. When I first came to this sight I was amazed at the members knowledge of who all of the drummers were for every band. That wasn't important to me. But I can still hear parts to songs as if it was yesterday. But no hero worship.
THIS ⬆ pretty much sums it up for me. Except that I knew the drummers’ names for my favorite bands.
The music was infinitely more important than the individuals making it, I simply had very little interest finding out the hobbies of Charlie Watts or Phil Rudd.
Most of the time when you dig too deep into the personal lives of ‘celebrities’ you are going to hit the septic tank. And perhaps I was too busy chasing skirt and playing to give a rat’s arse.
However it seems that like many I still prefer to listen to the music from my younger life

Pantera. Not because of anything musical, but Vinnie was a big early influence on me and it's just sad to think about him and Darryl. At least the brothers are together again.

Back