What Artist did you worship, but no longer listen too?

Macarina

Silver Member
Inspired by Tomano Killer Band thread...

What artist/band did you worship, but no longer listen too?
Worship might be a tad strong, but you get my drift... loved and acquired all their music, followed them, went to their concerts, got excited when their songs got played.

For example, myself... REO Speedwagon (later just REO) was everything to me. Today, I don’t believe I’ve heard an REO song in more than a decade (Maybe accidentally on TV... I don’t listen to radi any longer). I don’t actively avoid them, I just think they faded for me.

Have any bands you loved, but no longer listen too? And why?

Al Strange

Aerosmith...I love Joey Kramer’s drumming and that’ll never get old. Saw them loads of times in the 90’s but then I read Steven Tyler’s autobiography, thought he was a bit of an @rse, and haven’t really listened to the band since!!! :unsure:

rebonn

Carl Palmer and Neil Peart. I was in college studying music and playing in bands. Didn't play any ELP in bands but did play a bunch of Rush. Now I rarely listen to them. Currently it's mainly songs I sing in the band to keep in tune.

Supergrobi

Technical Supervisor
For me it was U2. I inhaled every single note of those guys from early on. But then Bono decided to frame himself as Mr. Godfather of Charity while in fact being a billionaire doing crazy huge investments which really pissed me off. I think the guys from Southpark nailed it in S11/F9.

J-W

There are many, but Metallica is a big one for me.
Lars was an early influence on me in my mid to late teens and one of the bands I was in (late '89 - '91) was a (somewhat) tribute band and our set list could include every song they had done up until that point. I say "somewhat" because we didn't deliberately dress like them nor did I have an identical kit to Lars but I did have a white kit (still do) and had black reso's and our bass player was also our vocalist and played an explorer bass, so there were some similarities. Once the black album came out and they revealed themselves as complete sellouts, I lost ALL respect for them. When I returned from the tour I was on with another band, and this band had decided to include "Enter Sandman" and "Wherever I may roam" into the setlist, I knew I needed to move on.
Every great once in awhile I'll listen to the pre-black stuff for nostalgic sake, but having played it so many times I'm just plain tired of it....and them.

Juniper

Gold Member
The Who and The Jimi Hendrix Experience.

Worshiped both bands and drummers growing up as a teen. I still deem Mitch Mitchell and Keith Moon as two of the most important rock drummers ever.

These I much prefer spending time listening to things I've not heard before and exploring a little, rather than play the same old stuff without any new inspirations and stagnating somewhat.

Loved both bands and occasionally I'll hear a song and it'll bring back good memories but I've heard/seen it all thousands of times now.

Last edited:

Stroman

Platinum Member
As a teenager I loved KISS. Gene Simmons however is a major a$$. I've not listened to them now for years.
Same. I became very disillusioned with them.

Except, I DO still listen now and then! I can't help myself. :O

Old Dog new Cans

Metallica. . . .I absolutely can't stand their music any longer. Also, I'm one who just feels like Jason Newsted was TOTALLY dissed. I'm also one who used to really dig Lars but feels like he's fallen into douche-dom.

Also, Eric Clapton. He's truly an arrogant jerk. And, has come of as racist idiot on some occasions. I hate that crap. I love From The Cradle. Absolutely some of THE best blues covers put together on a single cd. And I can't bring myself to listen to it now.

Billy Joel, same stuff.

Last edited:

DrumEatDrum

Platinum Member
The two biggest:

U2 - In Junior High and High school, I had U2 posters on my walls. I thought they were the most important band, and I really wanted to be like them. But then around Rattle and Hum I just lost all interest. I never bought Achtung Baby or any albums after that.

They just ceased to be the same band. And the more popular they got, the less I liked them. I recall I got a free ticket to see them in like 96/97, and I couldn't believe how bad they were. Worse, when playing their early material, I felt like Bono was mocking the Joshua Tree and earlier material. I didn't even stay for the whole show, it was that bad.

I still love and worship their first 4 albums, but not much beyond that.

Dream Theater - In their early days, I was such a huge fan. I bought Images and Words early on, and saw them on that tour. Over the 90's and early 2000's I saw them live 20+ times. I had all the albums. But I never liked Scenes from a Memory, though I thought Train of Thought was a good album. But as the band went on, they wrote fewer and fewer songs, and more and more focus on just long technically showing off for showing off sake. One of the last straws was seeing them at the Greek Theater on the Progressive Nation 2009, where they played 7 songs. That was it. Just 7 songs, but they had a 30 minute guitar jam, and then a 30 minute drum solo, and lots of just improve in between. It was such a disappointment.

I did see them with Mangini just because I was curious. And Mangini was amazing. And for some reason, I bought a ticket to see them a 2nd time with Mangini, but I remember arriving at the venue, finding my seat, and then wondering why I am even here?

Not only did I stop following them, but I lost almost all interest in listening to any of their older material, even the stuff I used to love. Outside of a few songs here and there, I mostly now wonder what I ever saw in them.

felonious69

Probably The Who and The Moody Blues. I actually still like the Moodys quite well, I just never seem to have occasion to listen anymore.
Love Ride My Seasaw, but it ain't easy finding the version with the insane intro, for some reason.

felonious69

Ted Nugget...until I found out who he really is.
Grew up in the huge KISS era...always thought they were THE MOST OVERRATED BAND EVER.

felonious69

Inspired by Tomano Killer Band thread...

What artist/band did you worship, but no longer listen too?
Worship might be a tad strong, but you get my drift... loved and acquired all their music, followed them, went to their concerts, got excited when their songs got played.

For example, myself... REO Speedwagon (later just REO) was everything to me. Today, I don’t believe I’ve heard an REO song in more than a decade (Maybe accidentally on TV... I don’t listen to radi any longer). I don’t actively avoid them, I just think they faded for me.

Have any bands you loved, but no longer listen too? And why?
Love the You get what you play for Album.
Gary Richrath was an exceptional guitar player. Golden Country holds true...ESPECIALLY today.