Ordered My New DW Set Today

BobC

Silver Member
After much thought, I decided the other day that it was time for a new DW set. My current DW set still sounds and looks very good, but they're 21 years old now, and I had the desire for something brand new.

I did some brainstorming with the artist relations guy at DW, and I ordered an all maple set; 18x22, 9x13, 16x16, 16x18 in the Black Galaxy wrap, which is a glass glitter that will look great under stage lights. I may add a matching snare later on. Deciding on the wrap was the hardest part. I was torn between Pale Blue Oyster, Black Ice, Black Galaxy and Ruby Glass. My daughter liked the Black Galaxy best, so that was that.

This is not the exact configuration, but it's close. I was told to expect a 16 week wait, but the last time I ordered a DW set, they arrived in much less time. I'll be like a kid at Christmas when they get here.

Attachments

• DW Black Galaxy.jpg
    DW Black Galaxy.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 114
How does anyone not love those round DW lugs wow. Maybe not quite as stratospheric cool as the Sonor phonic lug but still waaaaay up there in Coolseville baby. Yer gonna need some melatonin soon to sleep better. You lucky duck!.
Thanks all.

Buddy Rich, in his usual inimitable fashion, once said of the DW lugs: "They look like little clocks!"

Congratulation in the new DW kit! Looking forward to seeing them all set up!

After much thought, I decided the other day that it was time for a new DW set. My current DW set still sounds and looks very good, but they're 21 years old now, and I had the desire for something brand new.

I did some brainstorming with the artist relations guy at DW, and I ordered an all maple set; 18x22, 9x13, 16x16, 16x18 in the Black Galaxy wrap, which is a glass glitter that will look great under stage lights. I may add a matching snare later on. Deciding on the wrap was the hardest part. I was torn between Pale Blue Oyster, Black Ice, Black Galaxy and Ruby Glass. My daughter liked the Black Galaxy best, so that was that.

This is not the exact configuration, but it's close. I was told to expect a 16 week wait, but the last time I ordered a DW set, they arrived in much less time. I'll be like a kid at Christmas when they get here.
Sometimes the wait is real, and sometimes it's UNREAL. I went through Pro Drum Shop in Hollywood and wanted to add a 16x16 Collectors floor tom in black oyster FinishPly wrap, and the shop is cool letting me order it, and then letting me pay when it shows up - and I was told 12-weeks - so I figure I have time to raise the funds. WRONG - I called in the order on a Friday, and the shop called me the next Thursday and said the drum showed up! Talk about scrambling to pay for it! So either DW (which is just an hour away from Hollywood north in Oxnard) had absolutely nothing to do, or they had one lying around in their warehouse - but I learned to order drums when I actually could pay for it right then!

That's a nice looking set of tubs mate great color and great sizes that 22x18 is going to kick ars mate its going to be worth the wait 16 weeks isnt bad at all I waited 9 months for a 14in flr tom from Sonor.Cheers.

Looks like a great kit Bob sod you get any special grain orientation like VLT ? I love those Cherry/Mahogany kits DW sells .

Congratulations Sir on your purchase!

One thing made me laugh. You had to turn to your daughter about what finish to order. Frankly, I have to do the same thing. I don't have a daughter, but I trust my wife's input on a thing regarding style, appearance and taste; because I have none! :)

That's a nice looking set of tubs mate great color and great sizes that 22x18 is going to kick ars mate its going to be worth the wait 16 weeks isnt bad at all I waited 9 months for a 14in flr tom from Sonor.Cheers.
Thanks. I have a feeling these will arrive in January sometime. I think DW quotes a longer wait time to protect themselves, then, you're happy when they deliver quickly.
Congratulations Sir on your purchase!

One thing made me laugh. You had to turn to your daughter about what finish to order. Frankly, I have to do the same thing. I don't have a daughter, but I trust my wife's input on a thing regarding style, appearance and taste; because I have none! :)
She has a good sense of style. I picked four wraps, and she liked the Black Galaxy best. Ultimately, it would have been my decision, but I agreed with her. She didn't like the Pale Blue Oyster at all. She liked Black Ice, but Black Galaxy is just more vibrant.

Reactions: A J
Looks like a great kit Bob sod you get any special grain orientation like VLT ? I love those Cherry/Mahogany kits DW sells .
Rick, DW has that SSC thing, where they match the plies and layups to suit the sizes of the drums, so after peppering my AR guy with endless questions, he advised me to let them do it for me, and since I trust them out in Oxnard, I said go ahead.

Now, I'm considering adding a snare to the order, and I'm going nuts listening to sound samples of maple, oak and purpleheart snares. There really isn't that much difference that I can hear.

So you have a DW deal? Nice! Love the finish!
Yes, I have been a DW endorser since 2003. I tried a set one day at Sam Ash and became an immediate fan. I am very fortunate to have a deal. DW treats me like family. I couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
She has a good sense of style. I picked four wraps, and she liked the Black Galaxy best. Ultimately, it would have been my decision, but I agreed with her. She didn't like the Pale Blue Oyster at all. She liked Black Ice, but Black Galaxy is just more vibrant.
Yeah. I don't do ANYTHING regarding taste, color or appearance without talking to my wife. It's so bad that she actually checks to see what I'm wearing before we leave the house! Left to my own devices, I will make poor decisions.

The worst was when I left active duty Army and started working in the civilian world. Being in the Army, it's easy to dress because you wear a UNIFORM. Going to work as a civilian actually required to lay my clothes out for me the night before! :)

Excellent! Did you choose any special ply layup? I'd get choice paralysis when it came to DW's shell options.

Back