Ordered My New DW Set Today

salt 'n peppa finish.
always liked that Black Velvet finish ever since seeing that Peter Erskine video years back
almost like the big cube Slingerland black marine X 10 from years ago

Last edited:
Excellent! Did you choose any special ply layup? I'd get choice paralysis when it came to DW's shell options.
I got the standard SSC layups. I was going crazy trying to figure it all out. They know how to match layups to maximize low end response.

salt 'n peppa finish.
always liked that Black Velvet finish ever since seeing that Peter Erskine video years back
almost like the big cube Slingerland black marine X 10 from years ago
A friend of mine has the Black Velvet finish. He also has a DW set with the cow finish and uses them almost all the time. They're not my cup of tea, but he likes them. If you knew him, they fit his sometimes warped sense of humor. LOL. He keeps a stuffed cow doll tied to the top of the bass drum named Matilda.

Reactions: jda
Yeah. I don't do ANYTHING regarding taste, color or appearance without talking to my wife. It's so bad that she actually checks to see what I'm wearing before we leave the house! Left to my own devices, I will make poor decisions.

The worst was when I left active duty Army and started working in the civilian world. Being in the Army, it's easy to dress because you wear a UNIFORM. Going to work as a civilian actually required to lay my clothes out for me the night before! :)
I just wanted a second opinion. Once you decide on a drum wrap finish, that's it. It's not like changing your shirt! You've gotta' live with it.

Man that is absolutely gorgeous! I'm trying to talk my better half into letting me get a DW after the first of the year!

Rick, DW has that SSC thing, where they match the plies and layups to suit the sizes of the drums, so after peppering my AR guy with endless questions, he advised me to let them do it for me, and since I trust them out in Oxnard, I said go ahead.

Now, I'm considering adding a snare to the order, and I'm going nuts listening to sound samples of maple, oak and purpleheart snares. There really isn't that much difference that I can hear.
I'd suggest getting a matching snare, that's such a great finish, might as well get another drum with it :)
While historically most kits from various brands used to spec an aluminum or brass snare, I always thought that it was cool that DW went with wood as their goto. John Good has developed a lot of options over the years, but I have to say that one of my favs is the old 10+6 Maple model.

You simply must describe the inside shell smell in as much detail as you can muster
Lol. Put me in that group. My (other brand) are from 93 and a head change is always a nice surprise when I smell that new drum smell.

I'd suggest getting a matching snare, that's such a great finish, might as well get another drum with it :)
While historically most kits from various brands used to spec an aluminum or brass snare, I always thought that it was cool that DW went with wood as their goto. John Good has developed a lot of options over the years, but I have to say that one of my favs is the old 10+6 Maple model.
If I get a snare, it will match the rest of the set.

Last edited:
Congrats! Hopefully your wait time isn't too painful. I ordered a 12x14 matching floor tom last December and just got it this November.
My AR guy told me sixteen weeks, maybe sooner.

Love that finish

Ironically people do hate those lugs.
I'm in that camp, but I don't hate on DW otherwise- I wouldn't kick a DW kit outta bed for eatin' crackers. :LOL: The size of the lugs adds unnecessary weight and covers too much of their beautiful finishes (and the smaller the drum, the more that effect is magnified). The width isn't necessary because all the torque is vertical. Slim lugs are just a better choice for functionality and looks, IMO.

All that said, they're great looking and sounding tubs. My current rehearsal kit is a Pacific CX (see my sig) and sounds as great as any DW kit I've played and heard- *with the stock top & bottom tom heads still in place* (at this point, it's a science experiment- I refuse to change them until they no longer sound fantastic)- it was my main gig kit before my current Mapex kit.

I'm in that camp, but I don't hate on DW otherwise- I wouldn't kick a DW kit outta bed for eatin' crackers. :LOL: The size of the lugs adds unnecessary weight and covers too much of their beautiful finishes (and the smaller the drum, the more that effect is magnified). The width isn't necessary because all the torque is vertical. Slim lugs are just a better choice for functionality and looks, IMO.

All that said, they're great looking and sounding tubs. My current rehearsal kit is a Pacific CX (see my sig) and sounds as great as any DW kit I've played and heard- *with the stock top & bottom tom heads still in place* (at this point, it's a science experiment- I refuse to change them until they no longer sound fantastic)- it was my main gig kit before my current Mapex kit.
Doesn't hate on DW but proceeds to hate on DW. smh... Then touts a $500 kit to be as good as a Collectors.

Doesn't hate on DW but proceeds to hate on DW. smh... Then touts a $500 kit to be as good as a Collectors.
Disliking the aesthetics of the lugs "otherwise" isn't hating on the company. I like DW.

I didn't say "be as good as Collectors". I literally said "sounds as great as any DW kit I've played and heard", because it does. This is also a compliment to the company.

SYH all you want, but you should check your reading comprehension first. SMH, lol :LOL:

The Performance Series feature much smaller lugs than the Collector's Series, and the Design Series lugs are smaller still. In other words, 2/3 of DW's lines feature lugs that are comparable in size to any of the major brands.
That wasn't quite my interpretation. Seems to me that the poster feels that his PDP kit sounds as good as any DW kit he has played or heard but he's not claiming that it's literally as good as a Collector's in any material way. It's just a preference, I believe,

Similarly, my Gretsch kit sounds better to me than any other drum kit I have played but I'm under no illusion that it's materially better than all of them. Not to toot my own horn but I've never met anybody who tunes their drums as meticulously as I do so from my perspective, all kits are at a sonic disadvantage unless I have had a chance to tune them.

Last edited:
Back