Ordered My New DW Set Today

The Performance Series feature much smaller lugs than the Collector's Series, and the Design Series lugs are smaller still. In other words, 2/3 of DW's lines feature lugs that are comparable in size to any of the major brands.

That wasn't quite my interpretation. Seems to me that the poster feels that his PDP kit sounds as good as any DW kit he has played or heard but he's not claiming that it's literally as good as a Collector's in any material way. It's just a preference, I believe,

Similarly, my Gretsch kit sounds better to me than any other drum kit I have played but I'm under no illusion that it's materially better than all of them. Not to toot my own horn but I've never met anybody who tunes their drums as meticulously as I do so from my perspective, all kits are at a sonic disadvantage to my own unless I have had a chance to tune them.
I'll cop to this: since "sounds as great as" is subjective, I should've said "sounds the same as".

After much thought, I decided the other day that it was time for a new DW set. My current DW set still sounds and looks very good, but they're 21 years old now, and I had the desire for something brand new.

I did some brainstorming with the artist relations guy at DW, and I ordered an all maple set; 18x22, 9x13, 16x16, 16x18 in the Black Galaxy wrap, which is a glass glitter that will look great under stage lights. I may add a matching snare later on. Deciding on the wrap was the hardest part. I was torn between Pale Blue Oyster, Black Ice, Black Galaxy and Ruby Glass. My daughter liked the Black Galaxy best, so that was that.

This is not the exact configuration, but it's close. I was told to expect a 16 week wait, but the last time I ordered a DW set, they arrived in much less time. I'll be like a kid at Christmas when they get here.
The fact you ordered an 18" floor makes me feel great. But I would feel a lot safer if you ordered the matching snare now too. I know I know. Easier typed than done, but I doubt you'd regret it. I'm pretty much gonna make my gear dreams come true for myself this year. I've got three ad ons arriving today. 🥳

The fact you ordered an 18" floor makes me feel great. But I would feel a lot safer if you ordered the matching snare now too. I know I know. Easier typed than done, but I doubt you'd regret it. I'm pretty much gonna make my gear dreams come true for myself this year. I've got three ad ons arriving today. 🥳
I had second thoughts and ordered a 6x14 matching snare. I'm way ahead of you. They're shipping out tomorrow.

After much thought, I decided the other day that it was time for a new DW set. My current DW set still sounds and looks very good, but they're 21 years old now, and I had the desire for something brand new.

I did some brainstorming with the artist relations guy at DW, and I ordered an all maple set; 18x22, 9x13, 16x16, 16x18 in the Black Galaxy wrap, which is a glass glitter that will look great under stage lights. I may add a matching snare later on. Deciding on the wrap was the hardest part. I was torn between Pale Blue Oyster, Black Ice, Black Galaxy and Ruby Glass. My daughter liked the Black Galaxy best, so that was that.

This is not the exact configuration, but it's close. I was told to expect a 16 week wait, but the last time I ordered a DW set, they arrived in much less time. I'll be like a kid at Christmas when they get here.
Congratulations on your new order. May the wait be brief. I've always loved the round lugs since I was a kid and saw them on those Camco drums back in the 60s.

what kind of sealer does DW use on inside of shells; chocolate milk, silver sealer or other

I had second thoughts and ordered a 6x14 matching snare. I'm way ahead of you. They're shipping out tomorrow.
Good. Good. I feel better now. I just took my new 9X13 tom to Pro Drum to get it made into a snare drum, but Stan talked me out of it. I guess I have to order a 18" matching floor tom for my kit now though otherwise I'm basically a hypocrite. Is an 8 piece overkill? haha

Attachments

• borat-borat-very-nice.gif
    borat-borat-very-nice.gif
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
Back