Is your crash ride necessary?

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
OK..ive preffered a 22 Paiste 2002 ride for 30 years now. In moments where I've musically wanted some cushion of sound I'd go to my 18 signature fast crash. Sometimes my 22 if it was extreme. How many of you pick a (crash) ride for situations of cushion not wanting to move to a crash if I'm conveying this right. Do you pick a 20 crash ride for this specifically?. 22 or 24 crash rides can be super aggressive if you use it for cushion of sound to carry a particular moment in music. For a ride only I prefer bigger cymbals 22..24. But looking at crash rides specifically I'm leaning towards 20s. I know it's all up to the individual but I get great insights from all the minds here at DW which can cause me to left turn from my opinions. Thanks for your thoughts.

the term is not necessary.
A Ride thin in weight should (in a Zildjian sense) suffice.
Think the early 60s (some 70s) Zildjian 20" Medium rides. Their weight (2000ish Gs) and "give" allowed the dual function.
Paiste maybe moreso in their earlier preserial 602 days; but they (Paiste) later, like "specific"
whereas Zildjian and other old Turks had 'leeway' . A thin Ride could be a light medium 20 ride and serve that function. That dual function that yes I don't live without.

Last edited:
I've only used a 20" Zildjian Zmac as a ride. I crash it occasionally. It's good enough and I won't spend retail money on a ride. Bought it in about 1991 at a closing retail store downtown.
The decay is too long for crashing much.

I sometimes use the bell of the 18" Signature Fast Crash.

This is why I absolutely love my Sabian AAX Omni. It's got a great sounding bell and a very nice bow that is a bit pingier towards the bell and quite washy at the edge. The crash is very manageable - great for crash riding, with a lovely bottom end and a bit of high-end sizzle on top, and excellent for softer crashes or pairing with your left hand crash.

I spent a lot of time looking for a versatile, crashable ride with a great bell. Before I landed on the Omni, I almost went for a Sabian AA Bash Ride or a Zildjian Sweet Ride, both of which are great cymbals. A lot of medium rides from both those companies are great crashes as well. But the Omni was really what I was looking for.

Was here not too long ago.

Love my 22" 2002 Ride.
Went to a 22" Formula 602 Modern Essentials Ride for some time, then a 22" Signature Symphonic med-heavy used as a Ride.
I was still searching for a crashable ride.
Settled on a 21" 2002 Big Beat. I use the F602ME if I require more ping and bell. To which I haven't needed yet.

Last edited:
I find crash rides are in no mans land. I've got the K 21" Brilliant Crash Ride and it's a great cymbal but it does neither exceptionally.

Now the 22" K Con Renaissance is a fantastic ride and a big dark complex crash that gets out of the way surprisingly quickly. It's a daddy cymbal. If I want a heavier version I use a 22" A Medium.

Obviously for some styles of music you want what I call a ting and ding ride (heavy ride)

The reason I'm considering a 20" Istanbul traditional original ride..1714 grams..is not only the buttery ping but the quick swell without the loss of that ping. This is stupid but I want to put the 20 on the bass drum without a separate stand. My latest 24 2002 would look like some big elephant ear on the BD...thats the stupid part. Awhile back jda used the word supreme in a post with reference to weight in that gram range which really took alot of concern off my shoulders with focusing on to heavy a 20. All's it takes is a view point and I can absorb that and accept or reject. This Istanbul can also (for me) be a great ride but eliminate my wanting a 20" crash..its that as well.

Reactions: jda
I find crash rides are in no mans land. I've got the K 21" Brilliant Crash Ride and it's a great cymbal but it does neither exceptionally.

Now the 22" K Con Renaissance is a fantastic ride and a big dark complex crash that gets out of the way surprisingly quickly. It's a daddy cymbal. If I want a heavier version I use a 22" A Medium.

Obviously for some styles of music you want what I call a ting and ding ride (heavy ride)
Totally get that..

My most comfortable setup includes a traditional (or flat) ride and a 20” crash ride with rivets. The crash ride is about a fifth higher than the trad ride. The trad is also crashable. So I definitely wouldn’t use a CR as my one and only, but the higher harmony plus the rivet sizzle makes it a perfect second voice.

I’ll crash my ride when I want a huge crash. I have a thin 15” crash that I’ll smash/ride quarters or eighths on when it needs that smashing intensity, I could not take that kind of duration of volume that my ride would make playing that way.

I have a 22 thin paiste masters that’s 2100 and it’s been my c/r for a while. But since I acquired a 19 GB, I really don’t use the 22 masters much any more. That 19 GB is stupid versatile and rides surprisingly great for only 1540. I use the 22 more as a gongy type crash to mid break or exit songs

You haven’t lived until you try the 24” Paiste Masters Thin Ride - it pings great and washes great and can serve as a great crash - I just did a gig with it as my only cymbal. I used to do this with a 22” Zildjian K Light Ride too.
During this conversation I thought about your ride. It really made me think wow..ive been buying rides to heavy all along.

Reactions: I-P
I have a 22 thin paiste masters that’s 2100 and it’s been my c/r for a while. But since I acquired a 19 GB, I really don’t use the 22 masters much any more. That 19 GB is stupid versatile and rides surprisingly great for only 1540. I use the 22 more as a gongy type crash to mid break or exit songs
See..yet another opinion that sways my thinking over the last 30 years. I need this type of think tanking. 😃 🎶.

In moments where I've musically wanted some cushion of sound[...] How many of you pick a (crash) ride for situations of cushion not wanting to move to a crash if I'm conveying this right.

What do you mean by "cushion of sound?"

I am planning to buy a crashable ride in about five weeks. That way I can use three cymbals besides hats. Is it necessary? No, but it would be convenient, and I would not have to buy a fourth cymbal stand. Peace and goodwill.

Last edited:
Reactions: I-P
Back