Is your crash ride necessary?

Just got back from my 2nd hand store rounds. There was a stash of about 10 broken cymbals for $5 each. All badly broken. A 22" Rude or 2002 ride, AA crash, 2 Paragon, 3 china one a Zildjian. Very interesting stuff with huge breaks. Sad, really.

Reactions: I-P
I have a 24" crash cymbal, with a nice bell(for funky figures). It's great for build ups and lifts. I can even ride it when the bass drops out like during a break section.

My favorite ride a is Z series heavy Power ride. You really can't crash it. It's too thick.

My other favorite ride is a K heavy ride. It is somewhat crashable, but I if I'm using that ride, it's usually a situation where crashing on it wouldn't be appropriate.

I like having crash rides in my setup. Even though I'm often tempted to just play my main ride. I feel like a crash ride adds a dimension of washy character even when just riding it.
A 20" 2002 ride is crashable in a pinch I don't crash mine. It takes a firm whack and gets too loud. A thinner ride such as a 404 or 505 will do, as will designated Mediums such as Giant Beat, 2002 Medium, or Formula 602 (in which case even the Heavy works for me)

I am planning to buy a crashable ride in about five weeks. That way I can use three cymbals besides hats. Is it necessary? No, but it would be convenient, and I would not have to but a fourth cymbal stand. Peace and goodwill.
I still have that 4th stand for a China Type. It would be nice to not have that 4th stand.

Just got back from my 2nd hand store rounds. There was a stash of about 10 broken cymbals for $5 each. All badly broken. A 22" Rude or 2002 ride, AA crash, 2 Paragon, 3 china one a Zildjian. Very interesting stuff with huge breaks. Sad, really.
I often wonder how much abuse a Ride cymbal like a tank 2002 has taken to crack and damage it.

This is why I absolutely love my Sabian AAX Omni. It's got a great sounding bell and a very nice bow that is a bit pingier towards the bell and quite washy at the edge. The crash is very manageable - great for crash riding, with a lovely bottom end and a bit of high-end sizzle on top, and excellent for softer crashes or pairing with your left hand crash.

I spent a lot of time looking for a versatile, crashable ride with a great bell. Before I landed on the Omni, I almost went for a Sabian AA Bash Ride or a Zildjian Sweet Ride, both of which are great cymbals. A lot of medium rides from both those companies are great crashes as well. But the Omni was really what I was looking for.
I have the same Omni and like it a lot. I have tried the same model when I see it in stores just for fun and its seems like they never sound as good as mine. I wonder if they are very inconsistent in their sound. Since they don't appear in the stores very often I've probably only tried 2 or 3 different ones.

I have the same Omni and like it a lot. I have tried the same model when I see it in stores just for fun and its seems like they never sound as good as mine. I wonder if they are very inconsistent in their sound. Since they don't appear in the stores very often I've probably only tried 2 or 3 different ones.
I got mine used and a friend picked it up for me. I never heard it before I owned it, and while I never recommend doing that, it worked out great. I have heard a couple of others that sound decent, but I know my cymbal and what it does.

I got mine used and a friend picked it up for me. I never heard it before I owned it, and while I never recommend doing that, it worked out great. I have heard a couple of others that sound decent, but I know my cymbal and what it does.
I ordered mine from my local drum shop with the understanding that I could return it if I didn't like it. I loved it but it didn't fit in like I had hoped with the band I was in, so I returned it and bought a 20" ISO crash that fit that music really good. Quite a few months later I had money and repurchased the Omni that I returned. So I bought it twice lol

I ordered mine from my local drum shop with the understanding that I could return it if I didn't like it. I loved it but it didn't fit in like I had hoped with the band I was in, so I returned it and bought a 20" ISO crash that fit that music really good. Quite a few months later I had money and repurchased the Omni that I returned. So I bought it twice lol
It's obviously that good! :cool:

Crash-riding is not something I do all that often, except (ironically) in the church band I played for. There's a lot of modern church music that calls for it these days, believe it or not.

My Zildjian Sweet K 21" is great for crash-riding. I highly recommend it as an all-purpose ride (that is also crashable).

Last edited:
What do you mean by "cushion of sound?"
I've not heard that term before but I think it's crash riding but not very hard or loud, providing a constant swell of cymbal wash under the music. I do it towards the end of some of our songs. The Omni is pretty good for that because it doesn't take over the music, just kind of provides an undertone.

I've not heard that term before but I think it's crash riding but not very hard or loud, providing a constant swell of cymbal wash under the music. I do it towards the end of some of our songs. The Omni is pretty good for that because it doesn't take over the music, just kind of provides an undertone.
Thats it...when you need it you need it. I love Buddy's choice of ride sound. A heavy K ride just wouldn't have worked for him as well. The 20 Istanbul traditional original ride I'm after is aggressive for a 20 and a drop dead gorgeous buttery ping.

Thats it...when you need it you need it. I love Buddy's choice of ride sound. A heavy K ride just wouldn't have worked for him as well. The 20 Istanbul traditional original ride I'm after is aggressive for a 20 and a drop dead gorgeous buttery ping.
Hmmm…I need to check this instanbul out

Memphis drum shop 1914 grams. I'm computer challenged or I'd bring it here 😥. I'm actually truly upset that I haven't put myself in my white leather jacket on the forum but I'm asking people to help me with that..it bugs the sh** outa me.. 😠
Here it is….I like it! A lot! Too bad my wallets all tapped out lol

Here it is….I like it! A lot! Too bad my wallets all tapped out lol

That's like frikkin magic!...thanks! for that..thats the one! 😃..Memphis texted that to me. It is more than possible it will be sitting in the basement by Wednesday next to the 24 2002 they recently sent. This is so frikkin cool!. I'm showing this to my fiance tonight sittin at Chili's sipping a few 🍺 🍺 🍺 s. Glad you like that sound!. I can't believe this.. 😎

Back