Help Needed!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's the same rhythm but your teachers most likely want to see an 8th note instead of an 8th note rest on count 4. Then tie it to the note on beat 3.

Yeah, upon rereading my post, I wasn't counting that right. That 2nd measure does have enough note value- 4 counts for the half note, and "5 and 6" for the remaining. But, the question asks to correct groupings and beamings, so if that's wrong according to whatever curriculum the OP's course is using or to some other standard, I don't know what would be correct.
I know you don¨t know what is correct, that¨s why is so funny you keep writing and writting, hahah. Don¨t worry, you are not alone in this, in fact, EVERY thread is like that...

To me is very strange that because from time to time I put myself a band aid I don´t give doctor in medicine advise or "play" doctor. So I find strange that people do that with my profession, don¨t take it personal, I could have answered the same to almost anybody at the site.

Best regards!

I know you don¨t know what is correct, that¨s why is so funny you keep writing and writting, hahah. Don¨t worry, you are not alone in this, in fact, EVERY thread is like that...

To me is very strange that because from time to time I put myself a band aid I don´t give doctor in medicine advise or "play" doctor. So I find strange that people do that with my profession, don¨t take it personal, I could have answered the same to almost anybody at the site.

Best regards!
Alex, your answers would seem a little more sincere and helpful, if you would stop the "hahahah" after the threads you disagree with, and explain what you feel is correct rather than ridicule. Thanks.

Keeping the accent on the 1st and 4th, gotcha. But then it wouldn't make sense given the original.
Is there an accent somewhere that I missed? I meant this version:
problem 4 (2).jpg
Sorry for the lousy MS Paint tie. ;)
If you think "So what's the difference?" - You might just get the same notes as everbody else in the band and you want to know how long notes are held by other instruments to support them. https://www.alfred.com/blog/big-band-drumming-what-and-what-not-play/
If you want to get more fluent with reading the different notations, there's a section in "Syncopation" that shows rhythms notated differently.

A whole note as used in 4/4 would. As used in 6/8, it would not. That's not how they're used in 6/8.
I didn't say they did. (Or did I? If I did, I didn't mean to. I'm losing track of the thread because I don't wanna keep scrolling up & down to see what was replied to what. :LOL:

I didn't say they did. (Or did I? See my other reply above. :LOL: I did say "The half cannot equal two 'normal' quarters, because the actual 6/8 quarter does that. (Meaning, two counts.) (See my notation in the prior measure. Also, in 6/8, a dotted quarter fills 3 counts.) I don't think it goes as far as filling the space of two 6/8 quarters- four counts." A dotted quarter occupies half a measure of 6/8. A half note- I don't know, because I don't recall ever seeing one, but if its relationship to quarters doesn't change, then it would occupy two quarters, which in this case, would be four counts, right?
I misspoke on this, and addressed it earlier:

That said, I have no idea if a whole rest or note would occupy an entire measure of any time sig that contains more than 16 16th notes. I do know a whole rest covers an entire measure of 6/8, and I imagine a whole note would as well, unless the rule for each is different, and it may well be.
Ok. Please reread your above 3 posts. You seem to be debating yourself both for and against relative note values / note relationships. Clarifying:

— There isn’t a “normal” or “actual” note relative to the meter.

— A note’s value is defined relative to other note values, and not its name.

Better yet, let’s use currency to drive the point home. Since you’re in the US, think of it this way:

— When buying something priced at $1, we could use a $1 bill, two 50c coins, 4 quarters, etc. to buy it.

— If the price changes to say $1.25, would the value/relationship of any coin change in order to make up the additional 25c?

Is there an accent somewhere that I missed? I meant this version:
View attachment 90227
Sorry for the lousy MS Paint tie. ;)
If you think "So what's the difference?" - You might just get the same notes as everbody else in the band and you want to know how long notes are held by other instruments to support them. https://www.alfred.com/blog/big-band-drumming-what-and-what-not-play/
If you want to get more fluent with reading the different notations, there's a section in "Syncopation" that shows rhythms notated differently.
No I meant the feel of 6/8 with a slight accent on the 1 and 4

This has been an interesting and informative thread.

It would become even more informative if those who delivered inaccurate information went back and edited/deleted their posts.

Alex, your answers would seem a little more sincere and helpful, if you would stop the "hahahah" after the threads you disagree with, and explain what you feel is correct rather than ridicule. Thanks.
I put the haha because i don¨t want to sound so hard, do you doubt it is sincere? I go even beyond that, do you doubt it is true what I say?

Last edited:
Alex - I really appreciate you taking the time to deliver this information to us. It’s a strange world where a messenger of truth is criticized and ignorance is protected...

Whatever the argument here, I really appreciate everyones help, not only for my question but it's been interesting seeing different viewpoints on the same exercise.

Whatever the argument here, I really appreciate everyones help, not only for my question but it's been interesting seeing different viewpoints on the same exercise.

Well that's the problem, there are no viewpoints, there's just one right answer, and a lot of wrong answers. It's sort of fascinating to see how many ways people can not understand the question, or not understand the subject, while being very insistent about sounding off on it. But that only tells you about them, it doesn't tell you anything about music.

I put the haha because i don¨t want to sound so hard, do you doubt it is sincere? I go even beyond that, do you doubt it is true what I say?
I don't doubt your knowledge, but I think the hahaha makes it sound even harder. I think you are sincere in your thoughts, it's just the delivery. Peace.

The quarter note in the first measure and the half note in the second measure both cross over the implied 3 to 4 bar line,
making it unnecessarily difficult to read.

true...

but it is still not incorrect...and again, if you are a wind player, or bowed string player, the original iteration does give you the information for sustain of those notes. To us drummers, it does look odd...

true...

but it is still not incorrect...and again, if you are a wind player, or bowed string player, the original iteration does give you the information for sustain of those notes. To us drummers, it does look odd...

OK - I thought it was for drum notation (with this being Drummerworld and all).
And drums don't really sustain, except for roll notation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back