What's your latest purchase?

Beyerdynamic DT700 PRO X, the latest addition to the famous Beyerdynamic range of studio headphones, introduced in 2021. I'll use it as my main monitor for whatever recordings, including drums. It doesn't reduce bleed as much as the Ultrasounds, but good enough to not let any click get into the microphones and to keep the real drums out of the monitor mix. Since I'm not only recording drums but many other signals as well, it's much more versatile than a purely drum-oriented monitor.

There's just a single version of this headphones @ 48ohms, which makes it loud enough without introducing any kind of distortion (even with a subkick added to the monitor mix). The sound can be described as very linear, not emphasizing bass or treble. It has a great response to transients. Bass signals don't get muddy or indifferent. It is all in all quite close to what I hear on my Neumann KH310 without the physical bass sensation. In fact while exercising my first tests on the drum set I had to put it off from now and then to see that it's really the microphones I'm hearing and not the real set bleeding into the phones because of its "realness".

It's very light compared to the cancellation it provides and doesn't put much pressure on the ears. It sits very comfy, fully enclosing the ears and can be worn for hours. Everything is replaceable, including the 3m long cable, which is also a great plus. So far I'm totally happy with it. I recorded an upright piano, drums and acoustic guitar on my own by now and had a female singer testing it with great success.

After using the 770 PRO 80ohms for quite some time now this is a great improvement.

Beyerdynamic-DT700-ProX.jpg

Picked up a couple things this week.......really need to pause on the GAS.

While I added the N&C Alloy last week I also picked up a simple Taye 13x4" Maple snare with a nice wrap........short money, really short as in barely triple digits after shipping. Figured I will clean it up as another "sound". New coated G1 on the way for it.

Then since I picked up bass a few months ago I figured everyone needs a P-Bass of some flavor so I picked up the Squire Classic Vibe 60s P-Bass demo from SW for a decent deal. This joins my Yamaha bass. Honestly, a few days in with the P-Bass......I like the Yamaha better. I am swapping the P-Bass to flat wound strings next week as the stock strings are way too bright for me. I also need to go through a better setup for it.

IMG_2909.jpegIMG_2908.jpeg

Picked up a couple things this week.......really need to pause on the GAS.

While I added the N&C Alloy last week I also picked up a simple Taye 13x4" Maple snare with a nice wrap........short money, really short as in barely triple digits after shipping. Figured I will clean it up as another "sound". New coated G1 on the way for it.

Then since I picked up bass a few months ago I figured everyone needs a P-Bass of some flavor so I picked up the Squire Classic Vibe 60s P-Bass demo from SW for a decent deal. This joins my Yamaha bass. Honestly, a few days in with the P-Bass......I like the Yamaha better. I am swapping the P-Bass to flat wound strings next week as the stock strings are way too bright for me. I also need to go through a better setup for it.
Those Classic Vibes are great bang for buck. I bought a CV precision for the same reason...gotta have a P bass. With flats it does the classic tones pretty much like the real thing.

Those Classic Vibes are great bang for buck. I bought a CV precision for the same reason...gotta have a P bass. With flats it does the classic tones pretty much like the real thing.

Thank God!!! The stock round wounds might as well be LEDs they are so bright. Of course they are also new but still...... The "C-Neck" feels a bit different as overall it is fairly thin compared to the Yamaha TRBX I have. I'm sure I will grow to like it......

An Evans bass reso head.
I would be glad to show a picture of it but according to DHL track & trace they delivered it 5 days ago, decided it to take it back again to their warehouse and now it's missing.

Thank God!!! The stock round wounds might as well be LEDs they are so bright. Of course they are also new but still...... The "C-Neck" feels a bit different as overall it is fairly thin compared to the Yamaha TRBX I have. I'm sure I will grow to like it......
Yep swapping in some flats was the first thing I did. To me the neck is a pretty typical and pretty comfy modern C profile...I agree it'll probably grow on you.

Accessories to dress up my kit:

Rogers Swivomatic bass pedal, and the muffler was thrown in for free.

On the pedal, I like the old fashioned lever to the left under footboard that clamps on bass drum hoop.

Muffler needs the adjustable wing screw tension where the Phillips head screw is currently to retract or muffle.

Both are functional and by no means does the Swivo strap give my Demon drive a run for its money. 🙂
EACBB182-2928-4056-9B5C-3153A3AA0FB6.jpeg474B92ED-133E-475E-AABB-2EFE0EB52A95.jpeg

Nice drum... would love to hear your review of it. BTW, I really miss the Mike and Mike (Johnston and Dawson) Modern Drummer podcast. It was a great team combo of super positive teacher and massive gear head.
I also really miss their MD podcast. Are you listening to their new podcasts? Dawson does "Drum Candy" and Johnston does "Drum w/Mike and Eddy". Both are quite good. I also enjoy Drum History, Drummers Resource, You're Good Get Better, and a few others.

Beyerdynamic DT700 PRO X, the latest addition to the famous Beyerdynamic range of studio headphones, introduced in 2021. I'll use it as my main monitor for whatever recordings, including drums. It doesn't reduce bleed as much as the Ultrasounds, but good enough to not let any click get into the microphones and to keep the real drums out of the monitor mix. Since I'm not only recording drums but many other signals as well, it's much more versatile than a purely drum-oriented monitor.

There's just a single version of this headphones @ 48ohms, which makes it loud enough without introducing any kind of distortion (even with a subkick added to the monitor mix). The sound can be described as very linear, not emphasizing bass or treble. It has a great response to transients. Bass signals don't get muddy or indifferent. It is all in all quite close to what I hear on my Neumann KH310 without the physical bass sensation. In fact while exercising my first tests on the drum set I had to put it off from now and then to see that it's really the microphones I'm hearing and not the real set bleeding into the phones because of its "realness".

It's very light compared to the cancellation it provides and doesn't put much pressure on the ears. It sits very comfy, fully enclosing the ears and can be worn for hours. Everything is replaceable, including the 3m long cable, which is also a great plus. So far I'm totally happy with it. I recorded an upright piano, drums and acoustic guitar on my own by now and had a female singer testing it with great success.

After using the 770 PRO 80ohms for quite some time now this is a great improvement.

Beyerdynamic-DT700-ProX.jpg
I have two Audio Technica ATM50, They are great for recording and practicing but I have always wanted to spend 500$ish to get a real one for mixing but I thought that an open one was better, like the ATM70, what do you think?

Last edited:
I have two Audio Technica ATM50, They are great for recording and practicing but I gave always wanted to spend 500$ish to get a real one for mixing but I thought that an open one was better, like the ATM70, what do you think?
For mixing and mastering I also prefer open ones, but this one is for monitoring purposes only. I don't know the AT ones, so no statement about them from my side.

I ordered these last August and they have finally arrived . Going to pick them up in an hour . Here are some pics my dealer sent me yesterday . Details - Gretsch USA Custom Caribbean Twilight satin finish , 20/12/14 . Bass drum has the tom mount bracket , cymbal arm bracket and Pratt muffler . This will be my new main gig kit going forward for all my Big Band gigs and some of my Kingfishers gigs . My first pro level kit was a Gretsch kit , it is apropos that the last brand new kit I will be buying is a Gretsch kit .View attachment 118855View attachment 118856View attachment 118857

Lovely! How I envy you! Enjoy!

Picked up 2 snares I've had my eyes/ears on:
6.5" DW Collector's Birch VLT 10-ply (no re-rings)
6" Tama SLP Fat Spruce

The last time I bought a non-Ludwig snare was 30 years ago, but I've been looking for woods other than maple and mahogany, of which I have plenty. Really enjoying these.

DW_Collectors_Birch_2_sm.jpgTamaSLPFatSpruce_6x14_1_sm.jpg

Picked up 2 snares I've had my eyes/ears on:
6.5" DW Collector's Birch VLT 10-ply (no re-rings)
6" Tama SLP Fat Spruce

The last time I bought a non-Ludwig snare was 30 years ago, but I've been looking for woods other than maple and mahogany, of which I have plenty. Really enjoying these.
From 2112? I'm not currently in the market for anything, but I think they had the Tama as of several weeks ago. They also have the full range of the new Ludwig Universal snares.

I'd like to revisit birch and delve into other woods sometime. My only personal experience with a birch snare was around 2006, a Tama Starclassic Performer kit snare (that was when the Performers were all birch), and despite my futzing with different tunings, it was dull, boxy, and lifeless. I was unimpressed. I don't apply that experience to other birch drums though- not even to other SCP birch snares, 'cause this one may have just been a lemon. 🤷‍♂️

My local shop had this 18” N&C Walnut bass drum that the person that ordered prior to the Pandemic and never picked up . I picked it up for a crazy insane deal . I ordered a matching 12” rack and 14” floor tom to complete the kit . View attachment 119290View attachment 119291

That is a RIDICULOUSLY good looking drum. N&C are fantastic.

Back