What's your latest purchase?

I do this with my STS kit.
I have Mastercasts on batters and Super Hoop IIs on reso.

The die casts come through more for me on larger shells, they definitely let me down tune to sing, and they hold without getting that flappy headed floor sound.
This is what I expect from a die hard die cast user!

I was a big spender last week. 😁 Hi-hat washer.

1652140735949.png

Last edited:
All this talk of DC hoops made me realise these Yamaha AHMs are probably the first kit I have owned with DC on the toms. I have DC hoops on some snares, but can't recall them on any toms.

Yamaha put them on the AHMs for a reason. Once I've played them for a bit I will swap out a drum or two. Check for noticable difference.

You may already know this but those Yamaha hoops are aluminum.

You may already know this but those Yamaha hoops are aluminum.
I was not aware of that, or that Tama's DC hoops are made of die cast Zinc which is supposedly 'stronger' than either steel or aluminum. For those doing rim shots with iron drum sticks...

Who knew? 🤷‍♂️

yammy DC hoops.JPG

tama DC hoop.JPG

Last edited:
Tama's DC hoops are made of die cast Zinc which is supposedly 'stronger' than either steel or aluminum.
My perception is that zinc die cast doesn't vibrate like other metals. It sounds much more muted than a triple flange when struck with a stick (off a drum). The "sharp" aspect is due to the efficient transfer of energy from the stick to the head/shell. There's less flex and less dispersion of energy from deformation.

My perception is that zinc die cast doesn't vibrate like other metals. It sounds much more muted than a triple flange when struck with a stick (off a drum). The "sharp" aspect is due to the efficient transfer of energy from the stick to the head/shell. There's less flex and less dispersion of energy from deformation.
Here's an interesting bit of info:

I hadn't thought about it but your post inspired me to do some searching.

Based on this video, the difference sonically between zinc and aluminium DC hoops on a snare is subtle. Perhaps more difference between DC and other hoops. Or maybe the difference is more in durability and holding tuning?
On the drum, the notes sound very similar. Hanging off his finger, the aluminum rings much more than the zinc, especially when struck laterally (as one does when mounted on a drum).

Last edited:
So is this true?

No vibration = stable
Vibration = unstable

I want my drums to stay in tune and stable during a 4 hour session without having to keep tuning. Not sure how the physics work, but it seems to me that the more rigid the metal, the more resistance to loosening from the act of being struck. The shells produce the tones, whilst the rims and heads act as conveyors of those tones.

If there are any metallurgical engineers or physicists out there please let me know if I have it wrong, I'm always eager to learn from experts.

*We have not touched on the other aspects of this conundrum such as lug composition/design, shell material, and heads.... so the discussion continues.

The Shining GIF

Last edited:
I hadn't thought about it but your post inspired me to do some searching.

Based on this video, the difference sonically between zinc and aluminium DC hoops on a snare is subtle. Perhaps more difference between DC and other hoops. Or maybe the difference is more in durability and holding tuning?
Thanks for posting this! It seems to my ear that the aluminum hoop has a looser and higher tone which would certainly affect the sound produced compared to a more densely constructed zinc model. This is probably 88% drummer preference.

As a guy who has spent his life loosening and tightening fasteners, the less vibration the hoop transfers to the lug screw would be what determines how quickly out of tune the drum would get. All of the vibration from the drum will lead to the lug screws moving, unless they are secured by either a nylon insert locking nut, a nord lock washer, or Loctite.
If I have a temperamental drum upon which the lug screws like to back out, I use nord locks and a dab of blue Loctite.

As a guy who has spent his life loosening and tightening fasteners, the less vibration the hoop transfers to the lug screw would be what determines how quickly out of tune the drum would get. All of the vibration from the drum will lead to the lug screws moving, unless they are secured by either a nylon insert locking nut, a nord lock washer, or Loctite.
If I have a temperamental drum upon which the lug screws like to back out, I use nord locks and a dab of blue Loctite.
Now this is extremely helpful info @someguy01, I use whatever washers come with said drum but will now consider using better (different) lug screws or most likely washers. This is great info.

Back