What's your latest purchase?

From 2112? I'm not currently in the market for anything, but I think they had the Tama as of several weeks ago. They also have the full range of the new Ludwig Universal snares.

I'd like to revisit birch and delve into other woods sometime. My only personal experience with a birch snare was around 2006, a Tama Starclassic Performer kit snare (that was when the Performers were all birch), and despite my futzing with different tunings, it was dull, boxy, and lifeless. I was unimpressed. I don't apply that experience to other birch drums though- not even to other SCP birch snares, 'cause this one may have just been a lemon. 🤷‍♂️
Yes, I played the new Ludwig snares there. I liked the cherry best.

I'd like to revisit birch and delve into other woods sometime. My only personal experience with a birch snare was around 2006, a Tama Starclassic Performer kit snare (that was when the Performers were all birch), and despite my futzing with different tunings, it was dull, boxy, and lifeless. I was unimpressed. I don't apply that experience to other birch drums though- not even to other SCP birch snares, 'cause this one may have just been a lemon. 🤷‍♂️
FWIW, I'm not a fan of Birch snares either. Pretty much for the reasons you mentioned,too.

FWIW, I'm not a fan of Birch snares either. Pretty much for the reasons you mentioned,too.
I compared the DW birch VLT to the Yamaha RC and Noble and Cooley solid shell birch. The Yamaha had nice sensitivity, but sounded dull, flat, and lifeless to me. Seemed overpriced for being MIC. The N&C was very nice, but not enough to justify spending almost $300 more than the DW. The DW has a lower tone and more body to it due to the vertical grain, but maintains that focus that birch is known for. That combo is what I really like about it. It will be great on larger stages and in the studio.

Glad you found something you like Heartbeat.
I've tried a myriad of Birch snare's over the years and never found one that sounded nice enough to make me pull out my wallet.
...and don't get me started on DW ( 🤢 ).
Two different experiences. Neither one better than the other, but each one works for each of us.
Have a good time with your new snare drum. 🥳

Elvis

My first B20 cymbal.

New to me UFIP Class 18" crash, 1420 grams (which I didn't verify yet).

Pretty good conditions, and I'm already working on removing that tape residue.

I like it. I didn't find any synergy with my rude hats, my 2002 18" crash or my other starter cymbals yet, but it was a pretty good deal.

Being an Italian that lives abroad, i like the idea to play UFIP (will try an official endorsement, but first I need to at least join a band and gig once I guess :ROFLMAO: ).

Worst case it still helps developing my ear, since it is easy to compare brightness, cut, shimmer, sustain, etc. with the 2002!

IMG_20220520_092537.jpg

IMG_20220520_092601.jpg

A bunch of zildjians mostly crashes all , most (6) 18” a medium thins from various vintage including 2 a customs ......a 22 medium ride and some others.......

Attachments

• C877AD2B-870D-458A-8F7F-A1BCAFDC4034.jpeg
    C877AD2B-870D-458A-8F7F-A1BCAFDC4034.jpeg
    469.2 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
My first B20 cymbal.

New to me UFIP Class 18" crash, 1420 grams (which I didn't verify yet).

Pretty good conditions, and I'm already working on removing that tape residue.

I like it. I didn't find any synergy with my rude hats, my 2002 18" crash or my other starter cymbals yet, but it was a pretty good deal.

Being an Italian that lives abroad, i like the idea to play UFIP (will try an official endorsement, but first I need to at least join a band and gig once I guess :ROFLMAO: ).

Worst case it still helps developing my ear, since it is easy to compare brightness, cut, shimmer, sustain, etc. with the 2002!

View attachment 119557

View attachment 119558
And it's gone!

In only 3 sessions, I managed to completely remove that ugly residue!

Only water, hands soap, and a bit of WD-40!

IMG_20220523_125743.jpg

Another bass batter head. Very soon.

View attachment 119695
hulk smash GIF

Picked up a new to me 22" TRX special edition ax ride today. I traded a 16" Sabian Hand Hammered med thin in on it. I love the tone of this ride. It's louder than my HHX Evo not as much stick definition but some serious tone. Doesn't crash well and bell is ok but that tone man I just like it. Did I mention the beautiful tone of this ride. 😀😀😀

Attachments

• 20220526_213405.jpg
    20220526_213405.jpg
    415.9 KB · Views: 5
Never tried Attack Drumheads so figured I’d give them a shot!

FDA84266-F7AE-4FB3-AC5C-46A0FDD11BE8.jpeg

Back