My Pearl Vision VBA in Dynamite Burst

iCe

Gold Member
Hi all!

Sadly our basement rehearsal space in an old university was going to be demolished and that meant looking for a new rehearsal space. We went back to a place where we've been before (2012 or so). For the last year or so i was using my trusty Pearl Masters BCX kit. I want to check the humidity for this place first when storing a kit, so i started using my Pearl Vision again. Eventually i hope to start using the BCX again, but in the meantime this allows me to evaluate if i want to store my dream kit there. Rather have something happen to my VBA than my BCX.

Still a lot of fun to play this kit again. Cymbal setup is the same, but this kit lacks a 2nd bass drum and 8" tom. Makes everything a bit more compact and that's what i like about this setup. We have some issues in this room that the bass drum 'disappears' and have a hard time hearing it when the guitar cabinets are blasting, so still finding the sweet spot for the kit the next sessions (or maybe tune it differently, since it's tuned now as a typical metal bass drum with lots of attack).

Specs
Pearl Vision VBA in Dynamite Burst
22x18, 10x7, 12x8, 14x12, 16x14, 14x5.5 snare (probably going to use my 14x6.5 ltd edition kapur snare since i always have troubles with this snare)
6x12 and 6x15 rocket toms (might buy and add the 6x18 later)
Tama Iron Cobra Hi-hat stand and Power Glide double pedal (have this since 2005 or 2006 and still going strong!)

All Zildjian cymbals except for the Paiste 20" 2002 Novo China. 16" Oriental China Trash, 18" K Custom Dark Crash, 14" A New Beats, 8 and 10" A Fast Splashes, 10" Oriental China Trash, 21" A Sweet Ride, 13" A New Beats, 19" K Dark Thin

Vic Firth 2B sticks

For now; here are some pics.

Attachments

• 2019-10-04 16.40.39_R.jpg
    2019-10-04 16.40.39_R.jpg
    649.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 2019-10-04 16.40.55_R.jpg
    2019-10-04 16.40.55_R.jpg
    885.6 KB · Views: 78
Whoa, what a beaut!

One of nicest finishes I've ever seen!

How do you like your Paiste Novo China?

Reactions: iCe
It's a wrap though, but you couldn't tell if you didn't spot the seam ;)
I really like the Novo China. I spotted this one as a b-stock model and was € 40 cheaper than a brand new one. Having to want one since i started drumming, i just had to get it and let go of my 'all Zildjian cymbals OCD' :p
It's loud though, but i like the feel of it. Because of the reverse bell it plays just like a crash. And i like how it moves when you hit it. Blends is nicely with the other cymbals as well. Compared to the 16" Oriental it's a tad less trashy (obviously since it's 4 inches bigger)

It's a wrap though, but you couldn't tell if you didn't spot the seam ;)
I really like the Novo China. I spotted this one as a b-stock model and was € 40 cheaper than a brand new one. Having to want one since i started drumming, i just had to get it and let go of my 'all Zildjian cymbals OCD' :p
It's loud though, but i like the feel of it. Because of the reverse bell it plays just like a crash. And i like how it moves when you hit it. Blends is nicely with the other cymbals as well. Compared to the 16" Oriental it's a tad less trashy (obviously since it's 4 inches bigger)
Very unique! So nicely done.

As for OCD, or as I refer to it, ANAL, I know all about letting go of single brand name hangups.

Really nice setup you have there!

Many thanks for sharing your experience related to the Novo!

That is a very nice drum set. May they give you years of musical joy. Peace and goodwill.

Wow the Pearl and the one behind both look great. Buy a cheap humidity gauge to see what humidity is-if a minor issue use the absorbent buckets of Damprid or buy a dehumidifier if above 45-50%.

Very unique! So nicely done.

As for OCD, or as I refer to it, ANAL, I know all about letting go of single brand name hangups.

Really nice setup you have there!

Many thanks for sharing your experience related to the Novo!

Yeah, i might get a trash crash at some point again to 'replace' the china on the left side. I like the sound of the PST-X trash crashes the most. And might get a Zultan 10" Q-series splash to stack with the 10" china. And add another rocket tom at some point, maybe add a 10" aux snare...
But first time so save up since i'm getting married next year and that ain't cheap either :p

Yeah, i might get a trash crash at some point again to 'replace' the china on the left side. I like the sound of the PST-X trash crashes the most. And might get a Zultan 10" Q-series splash to stack with the 10" china. And add another rocket tom at some point, maybe add a 10" aux snare...
But first time so save up since i'm getting married next year and that ain't cheap either :p
Having a solid game plan is what it's all about.

Extending my congrats to you on your up and coming knot-tying venture.

Reactions: iCe
Back