Thrones: Round or Saddle - opinions?

Round or saddle, I think it depends how big your ass is. Big butt is good saddle for the side spill. I don't know if necessary though, I want my back and core for the posture but maybe a seat helps in a certain respect. Not getting any skinner though...

I just sold my Roc n Soc and in the market for a new one, just thought it was too heavy all around. I'm looking at Canopus Hybrid Throne II, it's got hybrid base and seat is supposed be more breathable to keep cooler. So maybe back to round to test my fat ass theory.

I’ve come to the conclusion that it really doesn’t matter for my butt. Mine is round and it works for me, although I want to add a backrest eventually.

I prefer round thrones, but I do still have a nitro/tractor Roc-N-Soc throne. It's my go-to studio chair these days.

Between the bounce messing with my balance, and an oh-so-conveniently-placed bump in the very front part of the upholstery in the tractor throne, it started causing me a surprising amount of pain. No such issues with the stable spindle round thrones.

I sit towards the edge of my round Roc-n-Soc. Doing that with the cycle seat isn't good. My legs being free under the cycle just feels weird. I think the cycle sit is only good for trikes.

Years ago I got this chair for free thinking it was a cool computer chair, when I realized it was the exact height I like my drum stool… and then I realized it was a vintage Herman Miller. 💰

Its the perfect drum stool for me, super comfy and swivels so smooth and easily, never creaks or tips like most stools do, a bit of a pain for touring but it does come apart easily and have played 250+ shows and toured with it ✌️

Attachments

• 2E5ED1F8-0B77-4F9F-84B8-A622F408D94D.jpeg
    2E5ED1F8-0B77-4F9F-84B8-A622F408D94D.jpeg
    865.7 KB · Views: 19
Cheers for feedback guys. I sit at a regular height with knee only about an half an inch lower than my hip so almost horizontal leg, but with very slight downward angle, but this is enough for the edge of my rather hard round stool to dig into the legs underneath. Cmdr. Ross, yes, ' numb balls & dick' is also a slight issue so I'll look into the Ahead split tractor - does it wobble and swivel though, after playing for 20 minutes as I've yet to find a throne that does not.

Curtis, doesn't the 'swivelling' do your head in? If my stool swivels, even a tad, it messes up my kick technique as my arse is swivelling around while I'm trying to do fast double kicks. I need a firmly planted rock solid stool that does not move at all.

Curtis, doesn't the 'swivelling' do your head in? If my stool swivels, even a tad, it messes up my kick technique as my arse is swivelling around while I'm trying to do fast double kicks. I need a firmly planted rock solid stool that does not move at all.
No not at all! I never sit with my back to the back of the seat while playing either, and I guess that stops it from swivelling unless I want it to… although I’ll have to actually be conscious of it when I play today and see if I do move it at all- certainly is nice after every song to lean back and sip a drink though!

It’s fun that we all do things differently🤠… playing different kits on a back line keeps us on our toes that’s for sure

I was tired of numb balls & dick after 2 sets. ;)
What have the bass player and singer got to do with it?:unsure:😁 Team round here. I was “violated” for a couple of years by an old Premier 245 throne that I got with my first kit in 1988…it increased my vocal range exponentially; that’s all I want to say on the subject!:oops::ROFLMAO:(y)

I have varicocele and have had several hemorrhoid surgeries, I don't need some hard nub shoved way up in my gooch while I'm playing drums so I have always stayed away from saddle type seats.

Years ago I got this chair for free thinking it was a cool computer chair, when I realized it was the exact height I like my drum stool… and then I realized it was a vintage Herman Miller. 💰
I've tried a few things lately, and I'm leaning toward "Four legs good, three legs bad." If I can find a solid chair with reliable height adjustment, I think I might use that instead of a drum throne. Long ago, I used stacked milk crates cut to the the height I like, with a piece of high density foam on top. Not adjustable, not compactable, but rock solid. I might even go back to that.

Lately I'm finding that I want to sit further back, with my thighs supported and my feet sort of dangling. That lets me play both pedals in a more-or-less heel-up position. My tractor seat is not great for that, and any throne with a lot of wobble is horrible. (And I'm a heavy guy, so I need something solid to start with.)

I sit close to the edge of the seat anyway at gigs. I prefer the saddle/tractor shape. The little horn in the front is all my bottom touches. I play heel down on both feet so I'm super stable. Physically. My mental stability is another topic for another time lol.

I don't like 4 leg thrones. I always stub my toes on a 4 legger. 3 legs are all I need. On my throne.

After round seats for a few early years i got a saddle (tractor seat) like throne and have never looked back since. Supports me totally and feel like my back rests more. Each to his/her own ofcourse. I still use the same throne after 20+ years (A WorldMax model, don't think they make those anymore). Has some wobble if i sit too long on it (screws come undone), but i still the nicest thing to sit on!

I've tried a few things lately, and I'm leaning toward "Four legs good, three legs bad." If I can find a solid chair with reliable height adjustment, I think I might use that instead of a drum throne. Long ago, I used stacked milk crates cut to the the height I like, with a piece of high density foam on top. Not adjustable, not compactable, but rock solid. I might even go back to that.

Lately I'm finding that I want to sit further back, with my thighs supported and my feet sort of dangling. That lets me play both pedals in a more-or-less heel-up position. My tractor seat is not great for that, and any throne with a lot of wobble is horrible. (And I'm a heavy guy, so I need something solid to start with.)
Hmm, one of my bands new songs is called Four Legs… this adds a new fun element to it hehe.

Keep experimenting and think outside the box! I’m likely about to tour with a wooden four leg stool with a pillow on top and material stretched so it looks sort of upholstered haha

A four legged fold up drum stool would be really neat

...think outside the box!
I see what you did there. ;)
I’m likely about to tour with a wooden four leg stool with a pillow on top and material stretched so it looks sort of upholstered haha
I'm thinking about getting a four-legged stool with a steel frame, so it's good and rigid, and cutting the legs to the correct height. Most wooden stools are not terribly well made. You don't want your throne falling apart in the middle of a set.

Personal preference but I am now a saddle covert. played round thrones since about 1977 and never thought i was having any issues however, once I bought my saddle (last month) i am convinced i was having issues with round thrones. I had Pearl, Pork Pie, Ahead, all round and they put pressure on my upper hamstrings and were never really comfortable. I wanted them to be but they werent.
Its a leap of faith buying one, I know people say try them at a drum shop but its not the same as 2 or 3, 3 hour gigs in a row. you wont know till its really put to the test but i say saddle from now on.

Never realised how conditioned I was to round thrones until I got my hands on a relatively new Tama First Chair saddle throne which came with a new kit purchase.

Thought to myself "I have finally arrived" after years of my crappy old throne, sat down and HATED it! For whatever reason I was always pitching forward (while just sitting) but doing double bass? Forget it- felt like I was going to fall out of the damn thing every 5 seconds.

Sold it the next day and went back to "old faithful"

Back