Stubborn/bullheaded equiptment choices...

Bozozoid

Platinum Member
Over the years I really havent read this type of attitude with equiptment choices from many members if AT ALL. Unlike most I've become pretty stubborn on using 13" snaredrums in 10 years but I'm critical ON that choice..few impress me at all. Lately the Tama 7x13 SLR? maple has me thinking hmm..maybe..youtube clips (some) are making me think ya..ok..i can't have my Brady 7x13 sheoak or lemon scented gum but this Tama drum has my heart rate up. I'm also bullheaded on 22x18" bass drums..not 16 not 17.5 (18). Since I've left behind my 24 and 26 days the 22x18 is IT..nothing else but I'm not ruling out a 23 DW drum. Anyone have any equiptment choices (sizes) you refuse to leave?. I almost feel like I'm on an island by myself on being as bullheaded as I am with certain equiptment choices. Maybe you refuse anything other than 20" rides etc etc.

Nah, I'm pretty flexible. Of course, I'm at a point where I have all I need, and anything else I get is just for fun, so I don't really have to follow any rules.

I don't like 18x22 bass drums, though. 😉
Flexible is a good trait..wish I was more that way but at my age I'm just stupid picky. I'd make a horrible studio drummer having producers tell me to use a different drum 😠. Kind of like telling Bonham to use a 20" BD on this tune..i think we all know the answer. 😃

I think there's a certain point where it's "I've gone over this 450,000 times now bud.. this is over"

Everything's finite ya know. ya got 100 years +/- to make a closing decision Commit
but don't do it too early; take 30 or 35 years maybe 60 ..but that's pushing it.
around 40 years ya start to feel the direction you're headed

I think there's a certain point where it's "I've gone over this 450,000 times now bud.. this is over"

Everything's finite ya Know. Ya got 100 years +/- to make a decision Commit
but not too early; take 30 or 35 years..maybe 60 but that's pushing it..
Problem is is that I'm OVERLY committed 😃.

Harder to break; but you know the saying;

In my opinion that kind of attitude can be a road block and at the same time lead to overthinking. You can have an idea in your mind that this one thing has to be exactly that what you need, but then you may stumble on something that shows you otherwise which can left you sitting there overthinking instead of just listening to what your ears are saying. Just seeing the vast amount of gear reviewed on sites like DCP or MDS can left you feeling overwhelmed by the amount of choice. I guess having in mind the musical context for which you're buying gear and a little open mind to try stuff and not to be so set in stone can help a lot. Personally, I'm not into crashes smaller than 16" and hats smaller than 14", on everything else I'm fairly flexible.

It's very age dependent which I wish everyone's age was known listed in their bio.
Talking with a 20/30 year old on subject like this is different than speaking with a 60/70 year old- somewhat- helps- in fine tuning understanding and response

My 14x7 Maple snare. It'll blow your head clean off if wanted. But has the body of a supermodel any time.

It'll blow your head clean off
dirty harry cop GIF

.... Unlike most I've become pretty stubborn on using 13" snaredrums in 10 years but I'm critical ON that choice..few impress me at all. Lately the Tama 7x13 SLR? maple has me thinking hmm..maybe ....
SLP G Maple: https://www.tama.com/eu/products/snare_drums/slp_g-maple_snare_drum.html

I've currently got four 13" snares. The SLP 13x7 is my favorite.
I kept waiting for Ludwig to put out a 13" Black Beauty, but it doesn't seem like that will happen.
Closest to that might be the 13" Universal Brass snare from them.

My stubborness is related to bass drum size. Has to be 20 or 18.
I also don't budge from a 5 pc. set.

"his blonde better not get in the same room as my brass is all I'm saying right now."

At this point, I'm settled on what I like and what works: Nothing smaller than a 22," with depths of 14," 16," or 18." No 8x12 toms, wooden snares only, cymbals that are bright and glassy, or dark and trashy. The drums can be new or vintage, but I want them to look good. No excessive mods or changes, rewraps are OK as long as they look nice and are well done. I almost always use a four piece set, occasionally two floor toms, but I have sets that are larger. I just leave the drums I don't need at home.

I do own a set with a 16x20 bass drum, but that's only out of necessity when space is tight. I won't play a 14x20, and will never touch an 18" bass drum again. They are just too small for me, and I don't play bop jazz, so no need.

I'm curious... what's the difference between being stubborn and just having a preference?

Besides, like jda hinted at, don't most people's preferences change over time?

Maybe that's the difference... stubborn is when you stick to something in spite of everything telling you it's time to change.

Back