New Pearl L Arm thoughts?

Totigerus

Why now after 70 years of being proprietary are Pearl deciding to play nice with others?
(or are they? like what's the L arm's size? It looks like a 12.7 but not quite sure)
This is making me think twice about Pearl, (in a good way) since I never liked their tube style tom arms for being proprietary and cumbersome.
What's your thoughts on their thinking? Is this a betrayal to hard core Pearl fans?

Attachments

• pearl l arm.jpg
    pearl l arm.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I like it. Good on them for finally making it available.
Saw a new Pearl in store recently with these arms. They looked solid, and I could see their function working well.

I never disliked the Pearl mounting system with the arms and optimounts. Each to his own i guess. Wasn't a fan of the I.S.S. mounts and replaced those with Optimounts on my Vision kit. That was great upgrade soundwise! Optimounts came with my Masters kit and those work just fine. Now, on rocket toms though... mounting those with the current hardware is a pain in the ****. Hope that Pearl will develop a mount that allows rocket toms to use the new L arms, because i think that mounting rocket toms on those is way more easier to get everything where you want without having comparatively big tom arms for small drums.

The new mounting bracket though... i guess i need time to get used to that ;)

Maybe there is a shortage of 7/8" OD pipe......"uhh...ok.....lets make it smaller."

"Bonham ( hero) used an Auge rail consolette and Moby Dick and Livin Lovin Maid didn't suffer"

Last edited:
They're still relatively massive and use a lot more real estate to mount a tom that a smaller, more compact ball-style mount would seem to. The good news is that since they made the system 12.7mm standard, you can use other kids' tom arms instead.

1691759542951.png1691759878045.png

I tried searching for this subject before i posted but i found nothing. How the F do you search on this site? I typed something like "new pearl L tom mounts"😠

It helps if you've been here a while and remember the thread.
Anyways - in the search box, i picked 'search everywhere', typed in 'Pearl', clicked 'Search titles only, and then clicked 'search'.
The thread I linked to is on the first page of results.

In my opinion: Pearl 7/8" tubes and optimounts are the best tom mounting system on the planet. Hands down.

But... Pearl is in the business of making money. Since so many drummers love L-arm mounts, I think it's a very wise move to offer them as an option. Pearl is simply satisfying a customer demand. Everybody is happy. Both optimount and L-arm fans get what they want.

In 1994, I traveled to a music store an hour away to buy a drum set. There were three kits within my budget: Tama Rockstars, Ludwig Rockers, and Pearl Exports. The #1 reason I went with the Tamas? Those ball-and-socket tom mounts.

I think this was a good move.

In 1994, I traveled to a music store an hour away to buy a drum set. There were three kits within my budget: Tama Rockstars, Ludwig Rockers, and Pearl Exports. The #1 reason I went with the Tamas? Those ball-and-socket tom mounts.

I think this was a good move.
I hear ya! My first kit had a pearl-style tom arm. I know real pearl arms are of better quality, but when I bought my second kit, a Tama Imperalstar, the ball-L-arm mount was the biggest upgrade of a lifetime.

I have no-name pearl mounts to my rocket toms and main they are a pain in the as to get to the right placement.

In my opinion: Pearl 7/8" tubes and optimounts are the best tom mounting system on the planet. Hands down.

But... Pearl is in the business of making money. Since so many drummers love L-arm mounts, I think it's a very wise move to offer them as an option. Pearl is simply satisfying a customer demand. Everybody is happy. Both optimount and L-arm fans get what they want.
If Sonar and Yamaha start making normal 12.7mm/10.5mm L arms, we'll know for sure the world is coming to an end and heads will explode. 🤯

• Haha
Reactions: A J
Back