Journey's new drummer is......

Interesting , I thought they might have gone back to Omar Hakim.

That band is just a franchise at this point. I liked them best when they had Greg Rolie and Ainsley Dunbar. Narada is a bad mofo though. If I could get a cheap ticket I'd go just to see him play again. I saw him play with Jeff Beck and I really dig his fusion stuff from the 70's.

Very interesting choice. I think he’ll bring some nice power and flavor. Omar would’ve been great too. Not really a fan anymore but it’s always good to see drummers getting gigs! Not to say Journey didn’t hold a very special spot in my heart in the early 80s

Interesting in that Steve Smith considered Naarda a major influence. The one time I saw Narada in person behind the drums was a drum duo show with Steve Smith.

Narada is an incredible drummer. Though he's mostly known for pop-drivel, he replaced Billy Cobham, in the Mahavishnu Orchestra,.

I am a bit more surprised Narada and Randy Jackson would be interested in joining. They both have had a ton of success in the producing/tv world, going back on the road would almost seem like a step-down.

Interesting in that Steve Smith considered Naarda a major influence. The one time I saw Narada in person behind the drums was a drum duo show with Steve Smith.

Narada is an incredible drummer. Though he's mostly known for pop-drivel, he replaced Billy Cobham, in the Mahavishnu Orchestra,.

I am a bit more surprised Narada and Randy Jackson would be interested in joining. They both have had a ton of success in the producing/tv world, going back on the road would almost seem like a step-down.

Wouldn’t you jump at the chance to tour and play Journey tunes with Randy Jackson, especially if your kids are all grown and out of the house? Touring doesn’t suck nearly as hard if you’re playing with incredible musicians that you respect on multiple levels, and who are also good to hang out with. Just a thought. LOL

Wait, really??? Narada is one of my all time favorite drummers. That's insane. And I didn't even know Omar played with them. I've been sheltered for way too long. When did Omar play with Journey and did he record any albums with them or just tour?

Wait, really??? Narada is one of my all time favorite drummers. That's insane. And I didn't even know Omar played with them. I've been sheltered for way too long. When did Omar play with Journey and did he record any albums with them or just tour?

Omar toured with Journey back in 2015, I think. I don't know that he recorded with them.

He's one of my all-time favorites. I saw him with Sting in 1985. Quite a performance. Few drummers are as versatile.

Omar toured with Journey back in 2015, I think. I don't know that he recorded with them.

He's one of my all-time favorites. I saw him with Sting in 1985. Quite a performance. Few drummers are as versatile.

I saw him at The Iridium in NYC with his band. I would have liked to see him with Mahavishnu but this will have to do. Visions of the Emerald Beyond is one of my all time favorite albums and my favorite Mahavishnu album. Cobham left some really big shoes to fill and Narada filled them and then some.

Omar only played a small handful of shows in 2015 after Deen Castronovo got arrested (and then fired) for his domestic/drug problems. The band had commitments they had to fill, and Omar came in on a last-minute basis

The band officially replaced Deen with bringing back Steve Smith.

Man, there are a small number of Journey songs I like, several I strongly dislike, and in general, I just have no interest in their stuff. But damn they've had some incredibly drummers.

Wait so Steve Smith is out again?

Man, there are a small number of Journey songs I like, several I strongly dislike, and in general, I just have no interest in their stuff. But damn they've had some incredibly drummers.

I agree. I was never a fan of their music. The only reason I would consider listening was knowing it was Steve Smith on drums. I suppose if one of my friends were to suggest going to see them in concert and I knew Narada was playing, I suppose I could suffer through a night of their music. LOL.

Yes. There was a story circulating around that Steve Smith and bassist Ross Valory tried to take control of the band name, and this led to them being fired. I believe Rolling Stone covered it some months ago.

That got totally past me! Not that I'm a Journey fan or something like that, i do follow Steve Smith on YouTube and Facebook.
But darn... always comes down to money and stuff like that that breaks a band apart.

Back