Journey's new drummer is......

In case anyone wants to catch up on what led to this:

Vapor Trail

I've been a longtime fan of Journey. The first album I owned as a kid was Evolution (purchased by mom randomly when I was given a record player). Happens to be the first Journey album with Smith on drums. That album inspired to take up the drums (at first, with chopsticks on pillows as I wore the album out). I still think that record has amazing musicianship and songwriting.

Evolution, Departure and Captured are all phenomenal. Captured beautifully "captures" the essence of the group live when they were firing on all cylinders. The drum solo on Captured to this day is one of my all time favorites. Escape and Frontiers that followed after Jonathan Cain joined is the last of what I consider their best era.

Really stinks to see the band go down in vicious cycle of in-fighting like this. I was willing to accept their current singer to see them live, happy to otherwise have the classic 80's line-up intact.

I highly doubt Steve Smith and Ross Valory were trying to maliciously steal the rights to the Journey name, etc, as the lawsuit from Schon and Cain allege. Sounds totally bogus and completely far-fetched. Valory has filed a countersuit, that seems more in-line with reality. See below:

The replacement players clearly have pedigree and talent. But Steve Smith's approach to Journey's music remains unique. I've never seen it properly emulated. Taking him out of the band once again brings Journey back into the realm of the world's best cover band.

Push pull stroke

Platinum Member
The replacement players clearly have pedigree and talent. But Steve Smith's approach to Journey's music remains unique. I've never seen it properly emulated. Taking him out of the band once again brings Journey back into the realm of the world's best cover band.
I hear you. But there aren’t many people I’d rather see replace him. Maybe Dennis Chambers? Steve is an unbelievably clean and tasteful player, I completely agree.

Winston_Wolf

Platinum Member
I saw Journey a couple of years ago. I was really excited to see Escape-era band on stage and they did not disappoint at all. I hate that all of the in-fighting has ruined what had been a solid line-up. That said, I'm intrigued by Randy Jackson coming back, though it's a shame Larry Londin is no longer with us to make a Raised on Radio-era reunion possible.