If you could start over

I would have tried to get the best teacher possible. Nowdays that’s much easier with skype lessons and such. I guess I got the best teacher possible for the time.

Shoulda been a doctor.

I've been at this for a much shorter time than most. Been taking lessons for a year and a half (?) I'm making good progress, but I told my instructor that I want to start in August and devote a full year to hands only. Just the pad and/or snare, no kit.

While making progress as a whole, I wasn't progressing toward my ideal vision of the drummer I want to be. That is due to my lack of vocabulary on with rudiments. Time to correct that. Maybe our beginning point is not what we wanted, but our ending point can be.

1) Never should have sold my Pearl Export
The best bar-basher kit ever! Was my first "real kit" & I still remember it to this day.
3) Learn to read and play along to sheet music (i have basic understanding of sheet music, but i can't read and play at the same time)
This for me as well. The drumming opportunities from knowing how to sight read drum chart are endless.

• Like!!
Reactions: iCe
I'm fine with my choices. I could have committed to being in one place and bought a house 10-15 years sooner. At one point in the 90s there were some things I decided were just limitations, that I figured out later were not limitations, I just needed to work on them differently-- I could have figured that out sooner. I absolutely could have hung out a lot more.

I wouldn't have stopped playing in my 20's. Let alone going 20 years before playing again.

And I would have practiced more...

I would have made the transition from weekly-rehearsing non-gigging original bands to gigging cover bands far sooner. But you learn things along the way that shape who you become, so you can't always just skip the bad parts.

I wish I would have learned to play with a traditional, "right-handed" setup. I think I missed out on some opportunities because someone else wasn't willing to switch their kit around and/or I didn't know how to advocate for myself as a kid. I also wish I would have paid attention to smaller details and focused a bit more on learning to tune drums from a young age. I got discouraged a lot because of those two factors.

Peggy Carter would really be the First Avenger.
agent carter abc GIF

I wish I would have learned to play with a traditional, "right-handed" setup. I think I missed out on some opportunities because someone else wasn't willing to switch their kit around and/or I didn't know how to advocate for myself as a kid. I also wish I would have paid attention to smaller details and focused a bit more on learning to tune drums from a young age. I got discouraged a lot because of those two factors.
Are you a lefty?
I’ll go one further and request a pic of Matt’s setup.

I would have been born in 2137. My conscience would be downloaded into a drum processor. I would be able to drum freely on thought alone and still get the same emotional response I do now.

Guess I'll continue to do it the hard way lol.

I would have been born in 2137. My conscience would be downloaded into a drum processor. I would be able to drum freely on thought alone and still get the same emotional response I do now.

Guess I'll continue to do it the hard way lol.
I think that would not look as exciting to see you sit there thinking. Maybe if you shot fireworks out of your head, or maybe a laser show.

Back