If you could start over

Moved to sunset strip in '81 and joined one of them there hair bands where all the guys got rich and lost it all on incompetence, drugs and greedy managers. That way I would now be married, 20 pounds overweight, working a regular job and playing in a cover band. Hey wait a minute😂😭

Artist's rendition of future @C. Dave Run taking a drum solo:

MV5BMWQ2N2QwNTEtOTkxMC00ZDI3LTgxM2QtNjAyODczZTFkNDU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjMxMzk2OA@@._V1_.jpg

I think that would not look as exciting to see you sit there thinking. Maybe if you shot fireworks out of your head, or maybe a laser show.
That's a fantastic idea! By that time there will surely be human light diode implants or something similar!

So many things I would have done differently. At least dabbling in playing open-handed, for sure. Trying different setups and different cymbal makers. But most of all I wish I had been more adventurous.

By the time I was in high school, I had already internalized the idea that feel, and being tasteful, and playing to the song, was the thing. Which I still believe! Except -- in my case -- it contributed to my chops never really progressing much since my teen years. And in retrospect I think I would have been better served by taking advantage of my youthful energy -- and all that time I used to have -- to really work on playing harder and faster and more complex, at least in the practice room. I wish I had tried out things I might never have used on the bandstand, and used the impetuosity of youth to find out what I could and couldn't do, and try to eradicate more of the stuff I couldn't (yet) do. I wish I had gone bigger and then pulled back from there, rather than sorta starting small almost right from the beginning.

So many things I would have done differently. At least dabbling in playing open-handed, for sure. Trying different setups and different cymbal makers. But most of all I wish I had been more adventurous.

By the time I was in high school, I had already internalized the idea that feel, and being tasteful, and playing to the song, was the thing. Which I still believe! Except -- in my case -- it contributed to my chops never really progressing much since my teen years. And in retrospect I think I would have been better served by taking advantage of my youthful energy -- and all that time I used to have -- to really work on playing harder and faster and more complex, at least in the practice room. I wish I had tried out things I might never have used on the bandstand, and used the impetuosity of youth to find out what I could and couldn't do, and try to eradicate more of the stuff I couldn't (yet) do. I wish I had gone bigger and then pulled back from there, rather than sorta starting small almost right from the beginning.
I did similar on bass, although I did try to work out hard stuff for a while before I gave up on it. Still, there are gaps in my playing I wish I didn’t have. Been working more at it over the past decade or two, though. Never too late.

I did similar on bass, although I did try to work out hard stuff for a while before I gave up on it. Still, there are gaps in my playing I wish I didn’t have. Been working more at it over the past decade or two, though. Never too late.
Absolutely. But, for me at least, it’s akin to the way little kids pick up new languages effortlessly, and for the majority of people, that aptitude diminishes greatly over time. So while you may be able to new learn a new language later in life, there’s an extremely good chance that it will be much harder and you’ll never be as good as if you had started far earlier. (Which isn’t to say you shouldn’t at least try, of course.)

I would have taken private lessons more serious in my tweens. I took them, but I didn't really practice what I should have been

I would have actually marched drum corps, and not wussed out. <----that is the single greatest failure/regret in my life to this day.

I would have gone into Music Education in my first stint in college, not Architecture...I wasted 3 years of time, and my own money paying for that first stint...

and I wish I would have started my Roth IRA 20 years sooner!!!

Edit; what I really meant was:

"If you could start over"

I could easily list a dozen regrets or things I'd change, but these days I try hard not to think that way (anymore). I can get real sad like that, there's no going back so I don't want to focus on regrets and past mistakes, I just I hope I Iearned from them.
Life is only now and from now on.

Last edited:
I would like to have spent less time in drum forums (sorry guys, but it's true 😄) and buying new gear, and practiced more instead, from my twenties into my thirties at least. Not that I think I'm not pretty decent now, but I used so incredibly much money on gear earlier (compared to today), it would be nice to have actually accomplished more instead. I could have swapped bands earlier as well, not sticking to a very mediocre band leading nowhere, since we were good friends.

My first years of drumming was good though, I started early (7-8) and exelled a lot during my teenage years with bands and whatnot... It's just that it all got a bit stale during what could have been the best years following.

Last edited:
A surprising number of posts here mention "playing open handed".
I have been practicing open handed lately, just for fun and for helping my percussion independence, but I'm not sure I will ever play that way.
What's your motivation? Is it _really_ that useful? (Please convince me to spend more time practicing! 😀)

As an 11th dan pink belt in bullshido I can tell you it ain't all it's cracked up to be. Sure I have ninja stars and a pretty rad pony tail but I get beaten up a lot and I haven't spoken to a woman since 1987.

The key is to develop your own signature move that never works so people would be scared to enter the ring with you. Mine for instance would be instead of the "Triangle of Death" would be the "Isosceles Triangle of Death".

To answer the OP's question I would say learning the benefit early on of practicing slow, not just focusing all the time on speed.

Really committed to a good practice schedule and employed the practising techniques I've seen on youtube rather than just watching the video. Making time for rudiments, technique, composition and active listening.

I also wish I had tried out more cymbals before buying. I like what I have but it isn't exactly right for either of the styles I play.

Back