Gavin Harrison here!

Hi Gavin, lately I've been coming across a project where they called me to record prog drums for 3 albums! It's going to be a long road! I started recording at home and noticed that I had a sound latency of 5 milliseconds in my in-ears. This thing bothers me a lot! I wanted to ask you how do you record at home? I don't think you have this latency in your headphones. I'm also using Logic and using a template that I mixed myself.I listen to the sound processed by Logic. And therefore, having also the buffer size set to 32, "the minimum" unfortunately arrives late. I tried the low latency mode.But unfortunately I disable the effects chain and "Auto Align" which has saved me his or a lot of times. Would you have any advice? How does your monitoring work?

I hope you can help me! Thanks in advance!

Enea

Hi Gavin, lately I've been coming across a project where they called me to record prog drums for 3 albums! It's going to be a long road! I started recording at home and noticed that I had a sound latency of 5 milliseconds in my in-ears. This thing bothers me a lot! I wanted to ask you how do you record at home? I don't think you have this latency in your headphones. I'm also using Logic and using a template that I mixed myself.I listen to the sound processed by Logic. And therefore, having also the buffer size set to 32, "the minimum" unfortunately arrives late. I tried the low latency mode.But unfortunately I disable the effects chain and "Auto Align" which has saved me his or a lot of times. Would you have any advice? How does your monitoring work?

I hope you can help me! Thanks in advance!

Enea
I have had similar problems and the way I overcame this is by making the audio interface both the speaker and microphone default for the computer, and plugging headphones directly into the interface. If you're listening to the DAW from the PC there will be a 3-5 second lag time and it's nearly impossible to overcome.

I started recording at home and noticed that I had a sound latency of 5 milliseconds in my in-ears. This thing bothers me a lot! I wanted to ask you how do you record at home?
I never monitor the drums through Logic - no matter how low the latency (and I believe my interface has one of the lowest ever). I just don't trust it. I always monitor the drums through the desk or the interface directly.

Best of luck
Gavin

I never monitor the drums through Logic - no matter how low the latency (and I believe my interface has one of the lowest ever). I just don't trust it. I always monitor the drums through the desk or the interface directly.

Best of luck
Gavin
Thank you very much, I'll try to find a low latency solution!

Enea Sergi

Hi everyone, my name is Enea, I'm 17 years old. Lately I've had fun reconstructing the drums track of "Designer" so it's not an original track it's a "Remake" I want to specify. I want to make it clear that I am not sending this to anyone privately. I don't sell it nor do I intend to make money with this thing, I'm only sharing it for anyone who wants to try playing with this track. I respect Gavin's wonderful work.

Enea Sergi
View attachment Designer Gavin Drumless.mp3

Gavin, what about the Speed Cobra Double trumps the other double pedals you’ve tried
I must admit I haven't tried all the double pedals - or even tried any alternative ones recently - I have played the SpeedCobras for over 10 years now. Once I find a pedal that I really like - I stick with it. The frustrations are not really with the pedals but with my temperamental feet. Getting familiar with the feel of a new pedal takes time - and I obviously want to get to the point where it feels so natural to me that I don't have to think about it whilst I'm playing. So when I get comfortable with a pedal I play it for many years - until something convinces me to try another pedal.

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:
Hi Gavin

I am very much looking forward to the new PT dvd. I have noticed in Haridan you use your 12” snare during the 5 minute mark. It is difficult for me to distinguish the difference in tuning than your 14” Protean. As an owner of your 12” model could you please tell me how you like to have it? Is the fundamental note the same or is it slightly higher and are you using the steel snares and medium dampening ring? Or something different. Thanks so much. DaveC67800FA-AD03-4DC4-A9D7-846F98822F45.jpeg

Gavin,
Two things:
Of the three types of snare wires you demonstrate for the Protean snare and come with it, which one do you use the most, i.e., the one that simulates the wires you used to cut (eight with gap on the outsides), the one with the double gap in the middle etc.?

Also, have you tried or used the Trick extension for your double pedal and if so what is your opinion on that? It gets rave reviews but is costly.

Thank you,
Another of your biggest fans,
Stuart

As an owner of your 12” model could you please tell me how you like to have it? Is the fundamental note the same or is it slightly higher and are you using the steel snares and medium dampening ring? Or something different.
yes I definitely have it higher pitcher than the 14" and I tend to use the steel wires on it - at least for the Porcupine Tree show. I believe I use the medium ring on it too. Hope you like it.

Of the three types of snare wires you demonstrate for the Protean snare and come with it, which one do you use the most, i.e., the one that simulates the wires you used to cut (eight with gap on the outsides), the one with the double gap in the middle etc.?
The one I use the most is the steel one - 8 strands down the middle.
Also, have you tried or used the Trick extension for your double pedal and if so what is your opinion on that? It gets rave reviews but is costly.
Yes I have it and it's beautifully engineered and feels very nice. However, ..I can't play any faster !

cheers
Gavin

yes I definitely have it higher pitcher than the 14" and I tend to use the steel wires on it - at least for the Porcupine Tree show. I believe I use the medium ring on it too. Hope you like it.
Thank you so much Gavin and yes I absolutely love it. Very classy looking and sounds amazing! Wishing you well. Dave

Hey @Gavin Harrison!

What are your thoughts on the drummer El Estepario Siberiano? I'm assuming you have come across at least one of his videos, no need to share your opinion.

Btw, loving the new PThief song, the snare roll that starts at 5:10 is incredible and tastefully done, does it start out with one hand and then go to two?

Lastly, I'd like to one day get your protean snare, but I need more time to save up for it. I know it has been out for at least like ~8 years now right? My question is, is it going to be discontinued anytime soon and should I somehow scrounge up the cash now to order it now? Or would you say it is safe to wait another year or two and still be able to find one (new)?

Thanks as always Gavin, been listening to your music since 2007 and appreciate your contributions to the musical world!

Btw, loving the new PThief song, the snare roll that starts at 5:10 is incredible and tastefully done, does it start out with one hand and then go to two?
it's all two hands - but I can tell you the last roll in that section is 16th triplets played RRL RRL RRL RRL etc
Lastly, I'd like to one day get your protean snare, but I need more time to save up for it. I know it has been out for at least like ~8 years now right? My question is, is it going to be discontinued anytime soon and should I somehow scrounge up the cash now to order it now? Or would you say it is safe to wait another year or two and still be able to find one (new)?
I think it's been out 10 years already. I don't believe it's going to be discontinued any time soon.

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin, I hope you're well! Loving the latest Pineapple Thief song, such a beautiful composition with such tastefully crafted and masterly executed drumming! I'd love to reach the level you're at with your compositional ear, I know it's all very subjective anyway, but without fail you always seem to craft up the most perfectly placed parts/notes, more importantly, the feel is always sublime. That was really evident for me with 'The Frost', from the interplay of the fundamentals of the kit, the hihat, kick and snare and all of the dynamics you articulated (with ghost notes especially!), to the introduction of the hi-hat work/motif in the first verse and develops throughout the song. It's placement around Bruce's vocals are brilliant. Is this pattern something you orchestrated intentionally? Or does it just come through you when playing in response to the songs during the writing process and decided to develop it/keep it? It's a wide-open song and all of your parts and intricate interplay compliment it so well, whilst your feel really allows it to 'breathe'.

I also can't wait to hear the new album and what you and the guys have in store! Looking forward to the new Porcupine Tree live release too. I've seen the two videos from the performance shared on Youtube so far ('Harridan' & 'Fear of a Blank Planet') and the mix on both are phenomenal. On that, I've just got a couple of questions for you. With the PT live release were you in control/in charge of the drum sound/their mixing too? Or were they turned over and entrusted to someone else?

Cheers
Adam

Is this pattern something you orchestrated intentionally? Or does it just come through you when playing in response to the songs during the writing process and decided to develop it/keep it?
The drum patterns (I like to think of them as a rhythmic design) are something that I first of all improvise - depending on how much of the picture I'm playing to. Sometimes the demo will evolve as I compose some initial patterns that might inspire Bruce to change or adapt his guitar or vocal lines. If he does, I might change my patterns to something else if I can imagine a better path - and then I carefully consider if and how they work. I might try a dozen or so patterns in any given section - but as soon as I find one I like, and can hear it working - I don't go looking beyond that point. I'm confident when I know I've found the right design. I refine them to fit around the vocals and the dynamic shape of the song.

With the PT live release were you in control/in charge of the drum sound/their mixing too? Or were they turned over and entrusted to someone else?
Never entrust them to someone else ! I mix them myself as I know very well how I played them.

Cheers
Gavin

Hey Gavin,

I am loving the new PT live album as was looking to buy it on Apple TV until I noticed that it was significantly shorter than the album. I am assuming that this was is a result of songs being cut, but I am curious if the blue ray release also has songs removed or if it is full show. Is there any chance you could share details about this?

I am assuming that this was is a result of songs being cut, but I am curious if the blue ray release also has songs removed or if it is full show. Is there any chance you could share details about this?
yes the DVD and BluRay DVD have the full concert of 21 songs - I believe it's about 2.5 hours. I don't know why Apple TV shows a shortened version. How long is it?

Cheers
Gavin

yes the DVD and BluRay DVD have the full concert of 21 songs - I believe it's about 2.5 hours. I don't know why Apple TV shows a shortened version. How long is it?

Cheers
Gavin
Thanks for the help Gavin, the Apple TV show looks to be 1h 40min.

Hey Gav,

It’s great to hear the new PT live album with your drums panned from your perspective. It always weirds me out to hear drums panned audience perspective. I mean, I get why some do it that way, but still.. Can’t wait to see the Blu-ray once it arrives (I’m in the US).

The Frost… what a great single for the new TPT album. I really hope there are plans in coming to the US once the European tour is over.

Back