Gavin Harrison here!

psycle_1

Hi Gavin!
I’m a bit embarrassed to say I’m just now getting into PT even though I’ve been a fan of prog rock since hearing Brain Salad Surgery almost 40 years ago when I was a kid thanks to my father.

I saw where you are battling tennis elbow in your right arm. Have you tried ulnar nerve flossing? I suspect that’s why it doesn’t hurt when you play, only when you stop. I’m having the same issue thanks to a car accident injury and it seems to help.

Anyways, love your work. Thanks for being a great human being!

agsoucy

Hey Gavin,

Curious about what you’re after/looking for in those times when you reach for a Coated Pinstripe as a snare batter as opposed to the CS Black Dot you usually use?

Thanks a bunch! Hope the European leg of the PT tour is going well!

mikyok

Platinum Member
Hi Gavin

Just seen you absolutely tear it up in Amsterdam. Can't believe its been 13 years since I last saw you guys @ Wolves Civic.

Kit sounded amazing out front. Very well played sir!

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
I saw where you are battling tennis elbow in your right arm. Have you tried ulnar nerve flossing?
Thanks for the suggestion - I did try it for a while but it didn't make any difference. Maybe I didn't do it for long enough.
Curious about what you’re after/looking for in those times when you reach for a Coated Pinstripe as a snare batter as opposed to the CS Black Dot you usually use?
I used a Coated Pinstripe on a metal snare drum that I had around 2005. It sounded good on that particular drum - better than a CS to my ears at that time.
Just seen you absolutely tear it up in Amsterdam.
Thanks glad you enjoyed the show !

cheers
Gavin

theheitorlima

Hi Gavin,

I see you mention a lot your "window of acceptability" when recording/playing to a click. Could you further develop that, please? I wonder how do you judge when it's just a part of human nature and we "flam" with the click a few mili-seconds here and there and when it's an actual mistake and you have to redo it? What is your "barometer" to make a call on one instance or the other?

Thanks!

psycle_1

Thanks for the suggestion - I did try it for a while but it didn't make any difference. Maybe I didn't do it for long enough.

The OK sign exercise seems to help me a good bit and is a good stretch for your wrist/forearms anyways. I’ve noticed a big difference in my finger and wrist speed and flexibility in regards to playing guitar and drumming. It’s also helping me regain sensation in my right hand ring finger and pinky due to spinal compression in my neck.

Tyler R. Roland

Hello there Gavin,

I'm curious to know your thoughts on the King Crimson piece "The Errors" aka "Radical Action III." It's one of my favorites and it was seldom performed live.

You have a co-writing credit on the track. Any particular thoughts on it/how it came to be?

SalvadorDDVS

Since adding the 3 toms by your 12” snare, have you had to get a wider rack to suspend the 17” K China? Can you discuss the rack setup for this tour? Having expanded my cymbal setup I realize I need a rack for more floor space. Thanks as always for your time Gavin!

- Salvador

Gavin Harrison

DRUMMERWORLD PRO DRUMMER
I see you mention a lot your "window of acceptability" when recording/playing to a click. Could you further develop that, please? I wonder how do you judge when it's just a part of human nature and we "flam" with the click a few mili-seconds here and there and when it's an actual mistake and you have to redo it? What is your "barometer" to make a call on one instance or the other?
Another term for 'window of acceptability' could be: 'how good are your ears?' and what sounds 'in' or'out' to you? 30 years ago - what I thought was 'tight and in time' was only as good as my ears could recognise. Over time my attention to detail improved and I could hear things in finer detail. So that became my 'window of acceptability' and so on. I certainly can't play as accurate as a computer click - and I can hear when I'm 'off'. So it comes down to a question of 'how off' is it. Hopefully these days I can hear it going off minutely and correct it without it sounding obvious. My goal is always to have something feel good. It doesn't necessarily have to be 'grid-perfect' from a computer point of view to feel good. If something doesn't feel good to me - I will do it again.
I'm curious to know your thoughts on the King Crimson piece "The Errors" aka "Radical Action III." It's one of my favorites and it was seldom performed live.

You have a co-writing credit on the track. Any particular thoughts on it/how it came to be?
Yes there's certainly a few rhythmic illusions in there. I think we only played it on one or two tours. It started off as a song that Jakko Jakszyk wrote and I arrange the rhythm track for three drummers. Quite a hard one to perform.

Since adding the 3 toms by your 12” snare, have you had to get a wider rack to suspend the 17” K China? Can you discuss the rack setup for this tour? Having expanded my cymbal setup I realize I need a rack for more floor space.
I just extended my Gibraltar rack out to the side to accommodate the extra tom.
IMG_9834.jpeg

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:

psycle_1

Gavin,
What preamps/converters are you using in your studio?

Also, I thought of an idea regarding recording your drums and mixing them for surround. What about putting up another pair of C12’s in front of the kit, equidistant to the rears? Send the rear OH’s to the rear surround channels, front OH’s to front L-R.

Use the difference in levels/delay to steer the stereo image of your drums to where, in a surround system sitting in the sweet spot, it would realistically image accordingly as if you were sitting behind your kit in real life, especially in terms of depth (ie distance from seating position to all the different components of the kit).

As clean as your drums sound, it would be an interesting experiment. It could give us common folk (LOL) to really hear what you hear behind your kit.

Keep in mind I’ve never mixed in 5.1 so I don’t even know if it’s possible, but it’s a neat idea IMO.

tradgrip

Hi Gavin,
I hope you're able to enjoy a little well-deserved vacation now that the PT tour has ended. I was wondering if you'd mind sharing your thoughts on some of the bassists whom you've recently played with (including SW) and the unique, individual aspects to their approach that you might like and/or find inspiring.
All the best!