Gavin Harrison here!

Just heard a demo…sounds like you’d expect it to…a splashy China. But what is the piggyback aspect? Are they meant to be stacked?
Yes, a review from when they were new in 1988/89:

Zildjian Piggyback

In recent years, it has become popular to
mount two cymbals together, producing a
dry, short sound best described as a "splat."
Terry Bozzio mounts various combinations
of cymbals in this manner, and Dave Weckl
has a China mounted over a crash, which
he uses for punctuation. But there has been
no particular standard in terms of what
cymbal combination produces the best re¬
sults.

Zildjian has attempted to standardize
things a bit by introducing a cymbal spe¬
cifically designed to be used in conjunc¬
tion with another cymbal: the EFX Piggy¬
back. The cymbal is 12" in diameter, has a
China-type profile, and is very thin and
lightweight. Its size and shape make it ideal
for a variety of mounting applications. You
can mount it right side up on ride or crash
cymbals, or you can invert a ride or crash
and mount an inverted Piggyback inside of
it. You could also mount a larger cymbal
over the Piggyback, or mount a small splash
inside an inverted one.

There are no hard and fast rules when it
comes to matching a Piggyback with an¬
other cymbal, and experimentation is defi¬
nitely called for. Generally, when mount¬
ing two cymbals together, you'll get that
basic "splat" sound, but within that you
can get some variation. The pitch will be
affected by the cymbal that you are using
with the Piggyback. We tried a Piggyback
inverted inside an 18" A Zildjian crash as
well as inside a 17" K Zildjian. While the
overall character was the same, the pitch
was significantly different.

We also found that the sound could be
varied quite a bit by how tightly the cym¬
bals were held together by the wing nut.
We experimented with an inverted Piggy¬
back mounted inside an inverted 17" crash.
When angled and screwed down tightly,
there was very little sound. When mounted
fairly flat with little or no tightening of the
wing nut, the cymbals would vibrate against
each other for a couple of seconds. Various
degrees of tightening the wing nut produced
various effects, ranging from a fairly nice
sizzle effect to a rather annoying rattle.
There were also differences in sound de¬
pending on whether we struck only the
edge of the 17" or both cymbals together.

We had interesting results when we
mounted a Piggyback underneath a 20" K
Light Ride. By placing a very thin piece of
felt between the bells and angling the cym¬
bals just a little, we were able to get just a
hint of a "trash" sound when playing on
the ride cymbal. I must mention that it took
quite a bit of experimenting on our part to
determine the optimum thickness of the
felt and the right amount of tilt on the cym¬
bals.

We encountered one potential problem.
We borrowed three Piggyback cymbals for
review, and one of them was slightly
warped. That was only a problem in cer¬
tain applications, where we were trying to
get one cymbal to vibrate evenly against
the other (as in the above example of the
Piggyback mounted under the ride). Given
the thinness of these cymbals, it's easy to
see why they could be prone to warpage,
so you might want to check for that before
you make your purchase.

Zildjian's promo for this cymbal states
that it can also be used as a small China.
The MD editors who tried it felt that it was
too thin and high-pitched for that use, and
preferred it in combination with another
cymbal. But that's not to say that someone
else wouldn't be able to use it by itself and
be pleased with the sound.

The EFX Piggyback has a list price of
$164.00, which is comparable to what you
might spend on a 17" crash. Considering
that the Piggyback can be used in several
different ways—depending on what you
mate it with—it might not be a bad invest¬
ment if you're looking for something differ¬
ent.

—Rick Mattingly , Modern Drummer

Hi Gavin, I went to see 'In The Court of the Crimson King' last night, and enjoyed the peak into the working life of the band and its history - as well as a further glimpse into the philosophies of Robert with regard to what King Crimson is. I thoroughly enjoyed it, however, I couldn't help but notice a lack of your presence throughout (Apart from you serenading Jakko with his favourite practice pad number). Was this just down to the final edit? I know there has been a couple of revisions since the footage had been filmed for what was intended to be the original documentary 'Cosmic FuKc', or was it a conscious choice from yourself to minimise distraction whilst being in a working environment? I can imagine it being quite taxing to be on tour with a band such as KC and have a camera following you around at any given moment!

All the best
Adam

PT show in Boston was fantastic. Porter and Davies question? I've seen pictures of you with the Gigster. Are you using that on this tour? or the bigger units? and do you feed snare and toms into the engine as well as kick?

Hi Gavin, I've been wondering it for a long time but can't seem to find the info anywhere - What ride cymbals did you use on In Absentia?

It sounds like there are a couple, and that pingy ride has always been one of my favorite recorded ride sounds.

Loved the PT show in Washington DC, by the way. Glad my friend and I were able to make it!

Hi @Gavin Harrison On the Zildjian website It mentions that your favorite ride is the 21" k custom complex, I rather like this ride too but since it is now discontinued I was wondering if you have any recommendations for something similar and what you seem to gravitate towards lately? Thank you for your time and the new Porcupine Tree is fantastic! :)

On the Zildjian website It mentions that your favorite ride is the 21" k custom complex, I rather like this ride too but since it is now discontinued I was wondering if you have any recommendations for something similar and what you seem to gravitate towards lately?
Yes I do love that K Complex 21" ride and I'll probably hang on to it for many years. This year I have been playing the 20" K Ride as it suits what I do with Porcupine Tree.

Cheers

Hi Gavin!
I’m a bit embarrassed to say I’m just now getting into PT even though I’ve been a fan of prog rock since hearing Brain Salad Surgery almost 40 years ago when I was a kid thanks to my father.

I saw where you are battling tennis elbow in your right arm. Have you tried ulnar nerve flossing? I suspect that’s why it doesn’t hurt when you play, only when you stop. I’m having the same issue thanks to a car accident injury and it seems to help.

Anyways, love your work. Thanks for being a great human being!

Hey Gavin,

Curious about what you’re after/looking for in those times when you reach for a Coated Pinstripe as a snare batter as opposed to the CS Black Dot you usually use?

Thanks a bunch! Hope the European leg of the PT tour is going well!

Hi Gavin

Just seen you absolutely tear it up in Amsterdam. Can't believe its been 13 years since I last saw you guys @ Wolves Civic.

Kit sounded amazing out front. Very well played sir!

I saw where you are battling tennis elbow in your right arm. Have you tried ulnar nerve flossing?
Thanks for the suggestion - I did try it for a while but it didn't make any difference. Maybe I didn't do it for long enough.
Curious about what you’re after/looking for in those times when you reach for a Coated Pinstripe as a snare batter as opposed to the CS Black Dot you usually use?
I used a Coated Pinstripe on a metal snare drum that I had around 2005. It sounded good on that particular drum - better than a CS to my ears at that time.
Just seen you absolutely tear it up in Amsterdam.
Thanks glad you enjoyed the show !

cheers
Gavin

Hi Gavin,

I see you mention a lot your "window of acceptability" when recording/playing to a click. Could you further develop that, please? I wonder how do you judge when it's just a part of human nature and we "flam" with the click a few mili-seconds here and there and when it's an actual mistake and you have to redo it? What is your "barometer" to make a call on one instance or the other?

Thanks!

Thanks for the suggestion - I did try it for a while but it didn't make any difference. Maybe I didn't do it for long enough.

The OK sign exercise seems to help me a good bit and is a good stretch for your wrist/forearms anyways. I’ve noticed a big difference in my finger and wrist speed and flexibility in regards to playing guitar and drumming. It’s also helping me regain sensation in my right hand ring finger and pinky due to spinal compression in my neck.

Hello there Gavin,

I'm curious to know your thoughts on the King Crimson piece "The Errors" aka "Radical Action III." It's one of my favorites and it was seldom performed live.

You have a co-writing credit on the track. Any particular thoughts on it/how it came to be?

Since adding the 3 toms by your 12” snare, have you had to get a wider rack to suspend the 17” K China? Can you discuss the rack setup for this tour? Having expanded my cymbal setup I realize I need a rack for more floor space. Thanks as always for your time Gavin!

- Salvador

I see you mention a lot your "window of acceptability" when recording/playing to a click. Could you further develop that, please? I wonder how do you judge when it's just a part of human nature and we "flam" with the click a few mili-seconds here and there and when it's an actual mistake and you have to redo it? What is your "barometer" to make a call on one instance or the other?
Another term for 'window of acceptability' could be: 'how good are your ears?' and what sounds 'in' or'out' to you? 30 years ago - what I thought was 'tight and in time' was only as good as my ears could recognise. Over time my attention to detail improved and I could hear things in finer detail. So that became my 'window of acceptability' and so on. I certainly can't play as accurate as a computer click - and I can hear when I'm 'off'. So it comes down to a question of 'how off' is it. Hopefully these days I can hear it going off minutely and correct it without it sounding obvious. My goal is always to have something feel good. It doesn't necessarily have to be 'grid-perfect' from a computer point of view to feel good. If something doesn't feel good to me - I will do it again.
I'm curious to know your thoughts on the King Crimson piece "The Errors" aka "Radical Action III." It's one of my favorites and it was seldom performed live.

You have a co-writing credit on the track. Any particular thoughts on it/how it came to be?
Yes there's certainly a few rhythmic illusions in there. I think we only played it on one or two tours. It started off as a song that Jakko Jakszyk wrote and I arrange the rhythm track for three drummers. Quite a hard one to perform.

Since adding the 3 toms by your 12” snare, have you had to get a wider rack to suspend the 17” K China? Can you discuss the rack setup for this tour? Having expanded my cymbal setup I realize I need a rack for more floor space.
I just extended my Gibraltar rack out to the side to accommodate the extra tom.
IMG_9834.jpeg

cheers
Gavin

Last edited:
Gavin,
What preamps/converters are you using in your studio?

Also, I thought of an idea regarding recording your drums and mixing them for surround. What about putting up another pair of C12’s in front of the kit, equidistant to the rears? Send the rear OH’s to the rear surround channels, front OH’s to front L-R.

Use the difference in levels/delay to steer the stereo image of your drums to where, in a surround system sitting in the sweet spot, it would realistically image accordingly as if you were sitting behind your kit in real life, especially in terms of depth (ie distance from seating position to all the different components of the kit).

As clean as your drums sound, it would be an interesting experiment. It could give us common folk (LOL) to really hear what you hear behind your kit.

Keep in mind I’ve never mixed in 5.1 so I don’t even know if it’s possible, but it’s a neat idea IMO.

Hi Gavin,
I hope you're able to enjoy a little well-deserved vacation now that the PT tour has ended. I was wondering if you'd mind sharing your thoughts on some of the bassists whom you've recently played with (including SW) and the unique, individual aspects to their approach that you might like and/or find inspiring.
All the best!

Back