Ever regret selling something?

Maybe my first set of cymbals ever, back in the eighties. They were Zildjian As from the '70s. I traded them in a few years later for brand-new As, but looking back, just sticking with my initial set would have been nice. They'd be vintage at this point.

Last edited:
Hi IBite. Selling my Slingerland 1980 Country Road 671T Kit with 6 1/2" COB snare. Was just married and going back to school to get my EE. The year was 1991 or 92 and needed the money.

My 1999 Pearl Export. Was my first kit and regret selling it. I had two kits at the time and decided to sell the Export because then i though that a suspended tom system (on the Osan kit) was better then the Export mounting system = better drums. Still look with nostalgia to the pics of those days. Other thing i regret selling is my Zildjian 18" Oriental Crash of Doom. Didn't liked it anymore, but now i wish i kept it to make a stack or use as a secondary crash.

Mapex Black Panther Black Widow 5 pc kit. Elegant transparent black lacquer finish with brushed nickel hardware. Thin shell North American maple. Stick saver type Soniclear hoops. Sounded great too. What was I thinking? Good question. I think I had like 4 kits at the time and was thinning the herd. There was point where everything I had was for sale as I was trying to get into a Sonor kit. It's not so much that I regret selling it as much as remembering it fondly.

Nothing.

I've sold and traded guitars, amps, PA gear, mics, etc. I think when I know when it's time to go, it's time to go. I've not let anything go that I regretted.

I do not own a lot of equipment, but I get in these dumb moods where I think to 'pare down' (usually when playing out more).
My thinking at the time: "I have an aluminium snare, why do I need two? (Premier 2000 snare) "I have an 18 crash, why do I need two " (Paiste Giant beat 18) ...and on and on. I've gotten wise though, I hold on to ride cymbals.

10 piece Ludwig green Vistalites, cases and 6 Zildjian cymbals. I actually I donated them to the local high school back in 2000. Never thought I would ever have time to play. I asked the current band director and she said she’s never seen them. Oh well......
:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Green Vistalites are the rarest color because nobody bought them back in the 70s. Supposedly, Ludwig only made 50 kits in green. They fetch a much higher price than the other colors because they're so rare. Were they concert toms or 2 headed?

From Drum Magazine.

9TTgdCK.png

10 piece Ludwig green Vistalites, cases and 6 Zildjian cymbals. I actually I donated them to the local high school back in 2000. Never thought I would ever have time to play. I asked the current band director and she said she’s never seen them. Oh well......
OMG I bet it hurts more now than then. I'm guessing you didn't know they were rare. I just found out too. Like finding out that you gave away a winning lottery ticket years ago

There's been a few. As a recovering GAS addict this might trigger a relapse!

* 70s Slingerland Festival Snare with moulded case absolutely mint condition.
* 80s Tama Superstar in Tobacco fade
* 1984 Chicago big keystone 402 (I have the guy from Neds Atomic Dustbins 402 which is the same model but the one I sold was in better condition)
* Arbiter AT maple kit
* Hayman 26/13/16 kit
* 14" Rude Hi Hats

Wouldn't call it regret, but my first drumset. I sold it to help pay for my second drumset, which is my pride and joy and I still cherish that thing more than any other musical instrument I own.

I later wanted to buy a secondary set to teach lessons on and for the occasional jazz gig, and I thought my first set would have been perfect for it. I just needed to fix it, buy a front hoop/head for the bass drum etc. But needless to say, being five years later, that I wasn't going to get it back. So I bought another old Pearl a few years newer, fixed that up, and used that instead. And was perfectly happy with that. Now I sold that and replaced it with a nice small Sonor Bop set, which I'm, in the end, much happier with.

I always had to sell stuff to buy other stuff. I never had the cash to just buy outright. I've sold some sweet gear I wish I still had. Early 80's 6.5 x 14 hammered bronze Ludwig snare. That thing recorded beautifully. 1972 Ludwig 3 ply clear interior Bonham kit. I pieced it together from different sources and refinished it. It sounded great. Too big to to make the trip when I moved south from PA to Nashville. Paiste 22" dry heavy ride. Great bell and really nice defined stick sound. Not crash-able was the only other reason I parted with it. Various Yamaha recording custom kits. I wish I had one for recording still.

Has to be the Starclassic Bubinga kit I owned for a short while (2007-2008) in antique natural burst. Allthough I wasn't really 100% in on the finish, I think the main reason for selling it was that I really wanted a big doublebass kit in the end, and felt that I couldn't afford to upgrade the Bubinga kit to as big of a kit as I wanted, especially after finding a mint condition used Starclassic B/B in a doublebass configuration, for about the same price I got for the SC Bubinga.... But I would have been really happy with that Bubinga kit now, as it was probably the most high-end kit I have owned, everything just felt classy on that kit, sound, hardware, craftsmanship, handmade shells from Japan.... Yeah, definately miss that kit.

Last edited:
My 07 BMW Z4 with 6 speed manual with 50K miles. It was rare enough as it was, but also had M package. Wow that was fun.

I needed more room to haul clients around, but regretted it the moment I sold it. Wait...was this a drum only thread? Title didn’t say so!:ROFLMAO:

Not drum gear, since the only thing I've ever let go is the Catalina snare.

When it comes to guitar gear that's a different story and it was while I was in school had some health issues and needed money.

James Tyler Burning Water
Fender 50th Anniversary strat
Ibanez GB20 George Benson sig
Guytron GT-100 head

My original run 22" earth ride.

I got frustrated with it and got rid of it a few years ago and really miss it. One trick pony for sure but it had it's moments.

Reactions: TJK
I rarely get sentimentally attached to drum gear so I rarely regret selling anything and want it back after I have sold it . There are some exceptions of course and they are :

Whitney Nesting Penguin 16 kit with wood hoops - the best nesting kit I have ever owned ( and I have owned lots of portable kits )- nested the drums have total weight of less than 35 lbs . The Quickframe is brilliant as well .

5” x 14” N&C Maple SS snare in honey maple gloss lacquer - sold it to a good friend , so that tempers the regret .

Attachments

• 7FF24B76-25C2-4D55-981C-23004EB9BEE6.jpeg
    7FF24B76-25C2-4D55-981C-23004EB9BEE6.jpeg
    124.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 7F2E9B32-E229-4857-B7A0-8FC0823C8F2D.jpeg
    7F2E9B32-E229-4857-B7A0-8FC0823C8F2D.jpeg
    117.9 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back