Ever regret selling something?

RickP

Gold Member
I rarely get sentimentally attached to drum gear so I rarely regret selling anything and want it back after I have sold it . There are some exceptions of course and they are :

Whitney Nesting Penguin 16 kit with wood hoops - the best nesting kit I have ever owned ( and I have owned lots of portable kits )- nested the drums have total weight of less than 35 lbs . The Quickframe is brilliant as well .

5” x 14” N&C Maple SS snare in honey maple gloss lacquer - sold it to a good friend , so that tempers the regret .

Attachments

Last edited:

bud7h4

Silver Member
I regretted selling my first Speed Cobra double pedal. They felt amazing at first, then for some reason just didn't feel right so I sold them.
Bought another pair a year later, they felt great, then again for some reason not so much, so I sold them.
Then in 2019 when Tama reworked their pedals, the upgrades looked too good not to try, so I bought a third Speed Cobra.

I'm keeping these now that I realize the reason the feel was inconsistent in the past was because I just hadn't played double bass long enough and the inconsistency was with my own footwork.

steadypocket

Gold Member
My original run 22" earth ride.

I got frustrated with it and got rid of it a few years ago and really miss it. One trick pony for sure but it had it's moments.
I used one provided with a back line kit. Sounded like and felt like hitting an anvil. Perhaps it was cracked. Multi-band setup so I had to jump on the kit and play. No time to inspect it.

steadypocket

Gold Member
So I parted with a Craviotto limited 6.5x14 cherry snare. It was finicky and didn’t like to stay tuned. Sounded great when dialed in though. Should have kept it. Had a Joyful Noise legacy maple solid ply that was SO good. I had an incoming stave maple drum which matched a kit I had ordered. Thinking I didn’t need two maple drums, I sold the JN to help fund another purchase. The incoming drum, and the kit, turned out to have major build problems, and had to be returned. Fast forward to today, I have a Noble & Cooley maple steambent drum, along with other maple drums so I’m getting by. Sure would like that JN back though.

TJK

90 Ludwig superclassic piano black lacquer. Virgin shells 24,24,18,16,15,14,13,12,10 with matching 6.5 with cast rims, not the standard die cast but the marching ones.

nolibos

A 24 inch mid 60s A Zildjian ride. Man it was big and heavy. I was eighteen and just getting started. I still have the 20 inch that it came with, but thirty years on, I wonder about that big ride.

MrInsanePolack

Platinum Member
Drum wise no. Only time drums get sold is out of necessity. I might not be happy about selling them, but the money gained has always served a greater purpose, like eating. I dont buy too much drum wise, usually only what I will use, so i dont really have much extra laying around.

Guitar wise, yes. I always end up with odd or unusual or just not very popular guitars. Then I sell them and can never find another one, or they become discontinued and super expensive, and then I cant afford another one.

I buy guitars like art. Sure I play them, but prefer to look at them hanging on the wall. Funny, I dont get the urge to play them that much until I have to sell one. Then the one I sell I want to play.

alparrott

Platinum Member
I let go of a 1960s vintage Ludwig Pioneer in blue deco when I was getting a divorce and deep in debt. I sold it to a music store for peanuts and they resold it for over $400 if I recall correctly.

Lennytoons

60's 20" Zildjian, 60's 14" hi hats. I did find similar ones that I bought a few years ago. That ride though...I don't think I've ever heard one as sweet as that one.

Drumolator

Platinum Member
Like many, I had to trade in old stuff to get new stuff. I only regret selling a few things but only years later, not right away. I have the gear I want now. Peace and goodwill.

single-ply

Getting ready to regret selling my pristine 1966 Ludwig Super Classic. I need to let it go because of space issues and I typically use a smaller set indoors and for outdoor or nasty venues, I use a Stage Custom set that if something were to get spilled on it, or has to sit in my hot car all day while I'm at work, I don't mind..

The Super Classic sounds wonderful and it'll be a very sad day for me when I finally get the stones to put it on the market. I keep putting it off.

wraub

My first bass bought new from the factory, and, my first fretless... bought on layaway, made a bus trip every two weeks to make payments.
Finally got it, and played it almost non-stop for over 6 years.
Sold it in financial desperation... a long time ago, and miss it still.

No drum gear regrets, yet... Give me a minute. ;)

sumdrumguy

1st generation David Garibaldi signature snare. It sat untouched in the case for years, and I sold it during a pairing-down phase.

I did later get a 2nd gen model for a good price, but still covet that 1st gen model.

Johnny2eyes

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Green Vistalites are the rarest color because nobody bought them back in the 70s. Supposedly, Ludwig only made 50 kits in green. They fetch a much higher price than the other colors because they're so rare. Were they concert toms or 2 headed?

From Drum Magazine.

The toms were two headed. It was a double bass with matching snare. I feel sick.......