14" New Beats
20" K Custom Dark or Medium ride
19" K Constantinople Crash/Ride
20" Crash of Doom

yes...the crash of doom noit only for the sonic purposes, but for protection!!!

I like my cymbals dark and expressive
Istanbul Agop 30th anniversary 22” ride (heavier wt)
Istanbul Agop 30th anniversary 18” crash
Zildjian K custom special dry trash crash 19”
Istanbul Agop 30th anniversary 15”hi-hats ( heavier wt)
Istannul Agop signature china 20 or 22”

There's a lot of love for Paiste here, but I just can't warm up to them because they're too bright for my taste.

I would choose the Zildjian K Sweet set. It's what I have, and they're perfect for every genre...from jazz to metal. They are dark, articulate, rich, smooth, buttery, and best of all, satisfying to hit.

14" K Sweet hats
18" K Sweet crash
19" K Sweet crash
21" K Sweet ride

I would probably concentrate on building a set that can be versatile as possible in terms of applicability, while also be able to record really well.
My example:
Paiste 15" Formula 602 Classic Medium hi hats
Paiste 19" Signature Fast crash
Paiste 19" Formula 602 Modern Essentials crash
Paiste 22" Signature Dark Energy MKII ride
Paiste 22" Masters Swish

Some of you laugh but this is legit since there’s nobody else on this island to play music with anyway. Nobody will know 😂

yeah...I chose mine b/c if that is all I get to hear for the rest of my life, that is what I want

wasn't thinking there would be others on the island....

yeah...I chose mine b/c if that is all I get to hear for the rest of my life, that is what I want

wasn't thinking there would be others on the island....
I kinda look at it from a practical standpoint: why play if there’s nobody to hear it? I guess my whole thing is to make a connection with an audience (or audient if there’s maybe one person other than me on this island 😉)

I kinda look at it from a practical standpoint: why play if there’s nobody to hear it? I guess my whole thing is to make a connection with an audience (or audient if there’s maybe one person other than me on this island 😉)

well, I really only ever learned drums - and music in general - to see if I could be as good as my heroes. Playing in bands was a secondary thing. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE playing in bands, but I honestly play more by myself than with others anymore.

Sometimes, I dream of being in a place where all I could do was drum. No life worries. No one texting me, or needing my assistance with this or that....just drumming.

my example: i like big and dark cymbals
15" meinl byzance jazz hats
18" and 20" istanbul agop traditional thin crashes
22" istanbul agop special edition jazz ride (i use mine as a big crash/ride)
22" paiste masters dark ride or dark energy mkii if you want more ping

I'm unlikely to play gigs or in the studio, but as a successful audio engineer here in Nashville, I know what good sounds like.
I have to ask: Why have a kit if you're not planning to play? Is it a studio investment for other players?

Back