Bands where NOBODY is an original member!

just discovered, and invested in, much like the bands of the 60s and 70s were discovered and then invested in.
My way of saying it was much more satisfyingly destructive though. That was the point. A label/corporation, business invested in and developed a brand, often time they continue to own and manage the content. It's their stuff, they can get whoever they want to play it. Whether it's the Pink Floyd catalogue or whoever. Underground bands don't have Lazer light shows in arenas.

My way of saying it was much more satisfyingly destructive though. That was the point. A label/corporation, business invested in and developed a brand, often time they continue to own and manage the content. It's their stuff, they can get whoever they want to play it. Whether it's the Pink Floyd catalogue or whoever. Underground bands don't have Lazer light shows in arenas.
Well, using that, then any band who's ever released an album on any label is a corporate band because even the smallest labels are legally corporations.

Bon Jovi, I think was much more right place, right time. Of course, the record company helped him immensely with resources, but much like Skid Row, he wasn't this experienced music business guy. He was just talented, with a band, and like lots of other bands, he was signed to a deal and given resources. I don't think he was created, just discovered, and invested in, much like the bands of the 60s and 70s were discovered and then invested in.

Aldo Nova quit the music business as a performer because he hated the record companies' influence on his album. So I certainly can't call him corporate rock. However he did flip the script and became part of the corporate scene in that he wrote songs and played on numerous, numerous albums. So, no, he was not a corporate creation as an artist, but yes, he was as a songwriter and studio musician for other mega artists. I was shocked when I heard the guy I used to rock out to in junior high was writing songs for Celine Dion.

The guy who wrote "Monkey On Your Back" is now producing soft rock for housewives? :eek:

Richard Marx, now, one could say, yeah. My understanding is he was initially rejected by all the major record companies. But a secretary at a record company pulled his demo tape out of the trash just to give it a listen herself. She liked it and kept playing it at her desk. But that doesn't exactly jive with the fact that he was a songwriter for other artists 1st, and then got his own record deal later. But was he created? I mean, he did write almost all his own material, unlike a Celine Dion type who has almost exclusively outside songwriters.

Asia is the only band I am aware of that was indeed assembled by a record company man who purposely brought together seasoned musicians to form a new band and were signed based simply on reputation rather than proving their worth ahead of time.

To an extent, the short live band "Bonham" was sort of a creation, in that the record company signed Jason Bonham to a deal to put together a band around him and make money off of his name. But it's not like the record company made him play with seasoned musicians, he was free to hire unknowns at the time. As much I love the very cheesy (and I admit it's cheesy) "Wait for You" I do believe that the band didn't last is it was assembled around Jason and not an organic band that came up through the club scene and had to fight for recognition.

But the fact is most bands that get accused of being corporate rock bands (Journey, Styx, Boston, etc) were not assembled by corporations. They weren't influenced by corporations any more (or less) than the Beatles or Rolling Stones were in the 60s.

I didn't think Bon Jovi had the band he recorded with? Probably heard that on Rock Line back in the day.

Bon Jovi, I think was much more right place, right time. Of course, the record company helped him immensely with resources, but much like Skid Row, he wasn't this experienced music business guy. He was just talented, with a band, and like lots of other bands, he was signed to a deal and given resources. I don't think he was created, just discovered, and invested in, much like the bands of the 60s and 70s were discovered and then invested in.
I don't know a ton about the history of Bon Jovi, the guy or the band, but it's hard not to suspect that having your cousin own The Power Station probably helped at least a smidge. In which case it'd be more like a wee bit of good old-fashioned nepotism rather than corporate construction.

I don't know a ton about the history of Bon Jovi, the guy or the band, but it's hard not to suspect that having your cousin own The Power Station probably helped at least a smidge. In which case it'd be more like a wee bit of good old-fashioned nepotism rather than corporate construction.
He recorded demos there in return for working as a gofer, and Tony produced their first album. But he didn’t get a deal for a couple years after making the demos. I am so not a BJ fan, but they made it due to hard work and music that connected with the public, and no other reason.

I didn't think Bon Jovi had the band he recorded with? Probably heard that on Rock Line back in the day.
I'm not entirely clear. I know Aldo Nova played some guitar on the 1st album. Like a lot of 1albums, it wasn't necessarily all recorded at one time.

Either way, nothing Bon Jovi did or didn't do is much different than many other bands.

Regardless, the band wasn't assembled by a record producer who came up with the idea first and then found musicians to fit the idea.

It's not like the Archies or Monkeys, or even Asia, who were indeed assembled.

Tim Pierce played all the guitars on Runaway. He has a great video that breaks down all the parts, including the lead. I always wondered why I preferred that track to most of the hits!

Dan

Well, using that, then any band who's ever released an album on any label is a corporate band because even the smallest labels are legally corporations.
Sure, but the big names are big because corporations, promoted them. Businesses, who by the way also own the rights to the work and choose who gets to play them.

The original title of ‘Nobody’ is tough… but if it was reworded to MOST OF THE BAND IS NOT ORIGINAL, then that focuses much more on struggles I find today with touring bands. I’m constantly raising my eyebrows when I see bands come into town with a THE band name vs. Tribute to the _________.

For instance, bands that I’ll have the opportunity to see, but won’t because they just don’t sound the same …
Little River Band​
The Guess Who​
Molly Hatchet​
The Marshall Tucker Band​
Chicago​
Great White​
Ozark Mountain Daredevils​

The original title of ‘Nobody’ is tough… but if it was reworded to MOST OF THE BAND IS NOT ORIGINAL, then that focuses much more on struggles I find today with touring bands. I’m constantly raising my eyebrows when I see bands come into town with a THE band name vs. Tribute to the _________.

For instance, bands that I’ll have the opportunity to see, but won’t because they just don’t sound the same …
Little River Band​
The Guess Who​
Molly Hatchet​
The Marshall Tucker Band​
Chicago​
Great White​
Ozark Mountain Daredevils​

Marshall Tucker came to mind. I was wondering how many origs are left.

The original title of ‘Nobody’ is tough… but if it was reworded to MOSTOF THE BAND IS NOT ORIGINAL, then that focuses much more on struggles I find today with touring bands. I’m constantly raising my eyebrows when I see bands come into town with a band name vs. Tribute to the _________.

For instance, coming to my town in the very near future…
Little River Band
The Guess Who
Molly Hatchet
The Marshall Tucker Band
Chicago
Marshall Tucker came to mind. I was wondering how many origs are left.
I‘m pretty sure it’s only Doug Gray, lead vocals.

Sonicflood does not have any of the original members. Peace and goodwill.

Like to get a Price Check on Tower of Power

maybe one or two of the horn players still original? Price check please
Somebody scan that item

Re: "corporate" band- I recall hearing the term starting in the late 70s or early 80s, and in hindsight, learned of several different scenarios to which the term has been applied:

-A band or group that was formed by a label exec or other businessman/Svengali
-A band signed to a label that was a subsidiary of a larger corporation ( ex. Atlantic after it became part of Warner Bros, Columbia after it became part of CBS, etc.)
-A band that was touring under a sponsorship deal (first that I was aware of was Journey)
-A band where only one or two members are the signed members, and the others are hired employees with little to no decision-making authority

Back