Bands where NOBODY is an original member!

If stuff before the 1st record counts, Roth and Anthony are not original members of Van Halen

But does it?

If a band is not worthy of being signed because it's not a completely good band, then they change members, the band gets better, and then gets signed, is it really the same band?

As for Van Halen, the brothers existed as a band in numerous incarnations. It was Roth who decided on the name Van Halen. Roth and Anthony are not members of Mammoth or the other names the brothers went by, but they were original members of the band named Van Halen, as the brothers never used that name as a band name previously.

I know. Bob Burns was gone before their real popularity occurred.
I wasn't alive then, but I would imagine they were pretty popular following the release of "Second Helping" which Burns played on.

It has:
Sweet Home
Curtis Loew
Swamp Music
Call me the Breeze
Needle and the Spoon

As a Black Country lad lets clear this one up.

Al Atkins is the guy who founded Judas Priest. He wrote a good chunk of the early stuff and still tours. My mate Mick Hayles was his drummer for years and might still be.

Ian Hill and KK were in the original lineage that the current band are on which makes Ian Hill the remaining original member. Bob Halford was with a band called Athen's Wood (my dad was very good friends with the drummer and guitarist late 60s/early 70s) He left these guys for Priest after Al Atkins left and the rest they say is history!
Al Atkins was the founder of a band called Judas Priest.

But he's not an original member of the band that made any commercially released recordings or became famous.
Though he did get songwriting credits on the early material.

I mean, if we want to get into every single person who was ever involved in a band before they became known, there probably isn't a single band one existence that has all original members.

Even U2 who are often pointed to as the most stable lineup in rock history didn't start with the same 4 guys when they were 14. Numerous other people came over to Larry's house to jam and were in the band for a minute before they whittled down the roster to the 4 men who became known as U2. But calling all the other kids who jammed with the guy's "original members" is a stretch IMHO.

Fleetwood Mac and Genesis didn't reach people in my circle until after bigger radio hits with later added members. My mind doesn't register the actual original lineup as being as pivotally important although some would disagree due to actual history.
F Mac without Nix/Buckingham? Ok, but not equivalent to me.
Journey without Perry is about the same to me sonically with Pineda. Weird, but his offstage antics bugged me.

Van Halen is easier since nobody but a few heard them prior to VH1.

A long ago friend, Brock-no, it was Grant, told me a story in the 80s of visiting his friend in Atlanta who invited him to lunch with a new band he was promoting. It was U2 before hitting so big. He never heard of them, but got a signed album.

Last edited:
Al Atkins was the founder of a band called Judas Priest.

But he's not an original member of the band that made any commercially released recordings or became famous.
Though he did get songwriting credits on the early material.
Because Wikipedia says so lol.

My dad knew Bob Halford when he replaced Al Atkins in the early 70s. I'll go with that 🤣🤣🤣

Granted they started releasing albums afterwards but that's like saying Stuart Sutcliffe wasn't in the Beatles.

Last edited:
The French/English band, Gong, underwent generational change as various members died. Not sure any originals members are left.

While King Crimson always had Robert Fripp, there was a constant flow of other musicians. There were also offshoot bands called King Crimson ProjeKcts, which had no original Crimson members.

I love Foreigner, but probably wouldn't even walk across the street to see their touring tribute band for free.
Lou Gramm, on the other hand, I'll pay good money to see Lou.
Foreigner is coming to our town this summer. I would go to that show, if I could, cuz they're touring with Styx, and John Waite. Alas, I have a gig that evening, so I won't be seeing the Styx show that night. Whatever version of Foreigner that plays that evening is an opener, as far as I'm concerned, and that's cool.

However.... Todd Sucherman is going to be doing a clinic that afternoon before his show, that I do plan on attending ;) It'll be done in time for both of us to make our gigs that evening :ROFLMAO:

Lets face it many of the AOR rock "bands" were fake corporate mouthpieces anyway created to sell car insurance on the radio. So, yeah having all non-original members, can't make them less fake. If that makes any sense. Though, being in one of those probably means they aren't getting as much corporate backing as they used to, so aren't producing more content.

Lets face it many of the AOR rock "bands" were fake corporate mouthpieces anyway created to sell car insurance on the radio. So, yeah having all non-original members, can't make them less fake. If that makes any sense. Though, being in one of those probably means they aren't getting as much corporate backing as they used to, so aren't producing more content.

What bands were fake corporate mouthpieces?

I always here there were corporate bands, yet no one can ever name a band with any proof that it was put together by a corporation.

Well, maybe outside of Asia.

I wasn't alive then, but I would imagine they were pretty popular following the release of "Second Helping" which Burns played on.

It has:
Sweet Home
Curtis Loew
Swamp Music
Call me the Breeze
Needle and the Spoon
Second Helping made it to 12 on Billboard and Sweet Home Alabama was their biggest single.

What bands were fake corporate mouthpieces?

I always here there were corporate bands, yet no one can ever name a band with any proof that it was put together by a corporation.

Well, maybe outside of Asia.

I know that wasn't directed to me, but wonder...
Skid row? Or was it just Sebastian that got corporate treatment to join?

I know that wasn't directed to me, but wonder...
Skid row? Or was it just Sebastian that got corporate treatment to join?
Given that Sebastian Bach was only 21 when the 1st Skid Row album came out, and the rest of the guys were also in their early/mid-20s with no previous music business success or experience, I'm not sure how they would be viewed as a band put together by a corporation.

They were rather lucky that Skid Row members were friends with Bon Jovi members, which helped them get the connections they might not otherwise have made. But still doesn't make them a corporate band.

I dunno, I was never much of a fan, but I did see them open for Van Halen in 94(?) and they blew me away live.

Given that Sebastian Bach was only 21 when the 1st Skid Row album came out, and the rest of the guys were also in their early/mid-20s with no previous music business success or experience, I'm not sure how they would be viewed as a band put together by a corporation.

They were rather lucky that Skid Row members were friends with Bon Jovi members, which helped them get the connections they might not otherwise have made. But still doesn't make them a corporate band.

I dunno, I was never much of a fan, but I did see them open for Van Halen in 94(?) and they blew me away live.

Bon Jovi, Aldo Nova, Richard Marx. Could any of them be considered closer to corporate creations?

Funny thing about so called corporate rock…a lot of it stiffed really badly. The acts that did well are the rarities. And even the ones that had success aren’t often able to repeat it. You would think corporate rock would imply that they have it down to a fine science, but those who did are by far more uncommon.

the choirboys (they sacked the only remaining original member)

and plenty of label-owned band names have a rotation of members in and out of them

Bon Jovi, Aldo Nova, Richard Marx. Could any of them be considered closer to corporate creations?
Bon Jovi, I think was much more right place, right time. Of course, the record company helped him immensely with resources, but much like Skid Row, he wasn't this experienced music business guy. He was just talented, with a band, and like lots of other bands, he was signed to a deal and given resources. I don't think he was created, just discovered, and invested in, much like the bands of the 60s and 70s were discovered and then invested in.

Aldo Nova quit the music business as a performer because he hated the record companies' influence on his album. So I certainly can't call him corporate rock. However he did flip the script and became part of the corporate scene in that he wrote songs and played on numerous, numerous albums. So, no, he was not a corporate creation as an artist, but yes, he was as a songwriter and studio musician for other mega artists. I was shocked when I heard the guy I used to rock out to in junior high was writing songs for Celine Dion.

The guy who wrote "Monkey On Your Back" is now producing soft rock for housewives? :eek:

Richard Marx, now, one could say, yeah. My understanding is he was initially rejected by all the major record companies. But a secretary at a record company pulled his demo tape out of the trash just to give it a listen herself. She liked it and kept playing it at her desk. But that doesn't exactly jive with the fact that he was a songwriter for other artists 1st, and then got his own record deal later. But was he created? I mean, he did write almost all his own material, unlike a Celine Dion type who has almost exclusively outside songwriters.

Asia is the only band I am aware of that was indeed assembled by a record company man who purposely brought together seasoned musicians to form a new band and were signed based simply on reputation rather than proving their worth ahead of time.

To an extent, the short live band "Bonham" was sort of a creation, in that the record company signed Jason Bonham to a deal to put together a band around him and make money off of his name. But it's not like the record company made him play with seasoned musicians, he was free to hire unknowns at the time. As much I love the very cheesy (and I admit it's cheesy) "Wait for You" I do believe that the band didn't last is it was assembled around Jason and not an organic band that came up through the club scene and had to fight for recognition.

But the fact is most bands that get accused of being corporate rock bands (Journey, Styx, Boston, etc) were not assembled by corporations. They weren't influenced by corporations any more (or less) than the Beatles or Rolling Stones were in the 60s.

Back