What is your workhorse snare from your collection?

RickP

Gold Member
Hey Folks
Since we have so much free time these days , what is your workhorse snare drum from your collection these days . The drum you had been playing most the last month or so before this health scare came up .

For me the pictured Noble and Cooley 6 x 14 Walnut SS - it is the 4th snare in the original run of 22. It does so many things well , supremely articulate and sensitive , rich and full sounding with great depth of tone .

Attachments

• FA3AC74E-9443-42B2-AA0A-DA844CA9074D.jpeg
    FA3AC74E-9443-42B2-AA0A-DA844CA9074D.jpeg
    86.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
I have a few snares. I picked up a LM 400 for 50 bucks at a pawnshop a year or two ago and that is my favorite snare. It’s not as pretty as it once was, but it sure sounds good.

Out of 112 snares, these 5 are in even rotation: Copperphonic, COB, '80s Supra (all 6.5"), 8x14 Black Beauty, 5x14" Raw Brass. My fave two are the Copperphonic and Black Beauty, I just like to change them up a little.

Bermuda

5knuckleparadiddle_50095671_293698994830286_1584770038429856615_n.jpg

this is the beauty thats getting the most use lately :) premier modern classic brass, 14x7 (made in UK!) :) fitted with an aquarian focus-x power dot batter, classic clear resonant, and pearl 42 strand bronze wires :)

I have kits set up in two different locations, as I'm traveling a bit for work. My main set up has a 1980s 6.5X14 Ludwig Supra. It is pitted and doesn't look like much, but she sounds great.

My other kit has a 6.5X14 2009 Ludwig hammered Black Beauty. I find this drum either sounds fantastic or has way too much honk. In the room I am playing it now, it sounds amazing.

Added a few snares in the last 4 months so there has been some rotation. My '76 6.5x14 NYC Bd of Ed Acrolite has been the workhorse over the last year, but the DW Bell Brass has moved near the top of the rotation since I got it in late Nov.

20191130_232649.jpg

I've owned a hand-full of snare drums over the years, all of which I truly cherished, however, my absolute pride and joy (and workhorse) is my Sonor SQ2, 10th Anniversary, Cast Bronze 6.5x14, which I purchased last year through DCP.

It will be my one and only snare drum to my name once I shed my last two snare drums in my collection.

P1010792 (2).JPG

Pearl Limited Edition Kapur 14x6.5". Was released in 2013 i believe and only in the US. Saw and heard a YouTube vid and i had to have it (so i have one imported via Memphis Drum Shop)! Great with a (coated) Controlled Sound on it, but with the (stock) coated Ambassador it sounds amazing. Must say that I'm leaning more towards a metal shell these days, so I might order a steel 14x6.5" steel Sensitone somewhere this year hehe

Out of about 2 dozen snares in my collection that include birch, maple, steel, aluminum, stave oak, and brass, I keep coming back to birch w/ die cast hoops in the 14x6.5" size. Most specifically, an 80s era Tama Artwood in Heather Metallic (typically considered a Granstar snare). I take this and an 80s Tama Superstar 14x5 in Candy Apple Red (as a backup/alternate) to gigs. These are stock photos I found online because I'm too lazy to go photograph my own at the moment.
1585033890297.png

1585034044158.png

Out of about 2 dozen snares in my collection that include birch, maple, steel, aluminum, stave oak, and brass, I keep coming back to birch w/ die cast hoops in the 14x6.5" size. Most specifically, an 80s era Tama Artwood in Heather Metallic (typically considered a Granstar snare). I take this and an 80s Tama Superstar 14x5 in Candy Apple Red (as a backup/alternate) to gigs. These are stock photos I found online because I'm too lazy to go photograph my own at the moment.
View attachment 91002

View attachment 91003

I have the same Artwood birch 6.5x14 but in black lacquer. But my current workhorse snare is an 80s Tama Artwood maple 6.5x14 in amber stain finish. I have the same maple one in red stain finish. (The Heather Metallic tom in the background is 8x11 in mint condition. Bought it with the intention to strip it and stain it cherry red or yellow amber. I could be persuaded to keep it as is if the other Heather Metallic pieces came together. But all that is up in the air with the current crisis.)

KtMxIAJ.jpg

I have 4 that are in regular rotation for gigging which are
*Mapex Deep Forest Walnut 14x6.5
*Tiki Maple Steambent 14x6.5

I bring the Acro prototype out for the odd jam night.

14 x 5.5 Pearl Bronze Sensitone with Remo reverse dot. Used it for the last ten gigs or so. Its tuned slightly firm, to be versatile for many styles.

My Ludwig 402 is currently set up for a deep, 70’s sound, so it only gets used for one particular band at the moment.

TBH, ever since I received my GW Studio Maple in 6.5x14, I've gotten rid of all my other share drums because they saw no use.

I 'might' pick up a GW Aero aluminum in the future, but the music budget is $3k a year and I have other pressing priorities.

My tastes change without notice. I go through periods where this one or that one is my favorite snare.

For the last 2 months, at home, it's been the segmented walnut snare. Prior to that it was a maple segmented.

Before that it was a cheapie Pork Pie iron snare.

Before that was my ash steambent.

I have a Carolina snare...birdseye maple steambent with walnut rerings that makes appearances between them all.

No reason or rhyme to it. Each snare goes with one mood or another.

My workhorse gig snare...my #1 gig snare...is the segmented padauk.

Back