why open hi hat on the right side of the kit?

georgeusa

at 0:44 he uses the right hi hat...that remains open i assume always?

is there a reason why though to have 2 hi hats in this case?

is it just not to cross hands?

Interesting, I guess it’s just x-hats set to “slosh” mode? Not sure of the benefits for this particular track other than consistency as he’s not playing double bass patterns…cool clip though. :unsure: :)(y)

Second hats are pretty standard in pop tracks. Often times its to add extra emphasis and stereo effect in the high and the play them doubled.

The hihat can be detrimental to the ears, so have different hats helps with that, as different hats will have different frequencies. Also, the second hat often has a clutch that can be dialed in precisely for different amounts of slosh. I usually keep mine with a little slosh. Something you wouldn't normally do with the hihat stand.

Another big reason for having a second hi-hat to the right - double bass drumming. This way he doesn't have to muck about with a drop clutch on his primary hi-hat stand. He can just set the hats on his right to the tension he wants them and play them at the same time he does double bass. I don't know how much this particular drummer indulges in double bass drumming, but it's not uncommon for those who do.

In other videos, it looks like he's playing a remote hi-hat pedal to his right-side hats and his left-side hats are fixed x-hats..

1693089154795.png
1693089175407.png
1693089215320.png

is there a reason why though to have 2 hi hats in this case?

is it just not to cross hands?
I think he's just going for a sloshy, more aggressive sound. Would have to see a few songs to follow his actual process.

I used to keep my right hats a bit open, too. I typically would use my left hats on verse, the right hats on pre-chorus or chorus, and then ride on chorus or solo. Just kinda depending on what the energy level called for.

I used to use an x-hat on the right side for double bass. They were always slightly sloshy. But also I used a completely different model of hats for a different sound (Zildjian Z Dyno Beats on the X-hat, Zildjian A Quick Beats as the main)

Then in one song, I used the right side hats as the main hat because I wanted that sound for that song, and well, they were already there, so why not?

I know Scott Travis also used an X-hat, slightly sloshy, for double bass. But on some Judas Priest songs live he'll play the X-hat instead of the main hats even when he's not playing double bass, for I assume a similar reason: They're already there, may as well use them.

While I'm not familiar with Randy, I notice in the photos he has hats on both sides, a ride cymbal on both sides, and at least one floor tom on both sides. I presume he's into having a symmetrical setup for playing both right and left-hand lead.

I use a left and a right hi hat stand, attached to left and right bass drums, and often a third effects hat to the left of the RH HH stand. I do it to increase my options playing open handed.

In the preface of Gary Chester’s book “A New Breed”, He said that he used 3 hi hats. 2 on the left and one on the right. He didn’t really elaborate on it much and the book doesn’t have any exercises that require 3 hi hats. He also had a floor tom on his left. The book is about independence. Just thought it was interesting. It is a difficult book for me.

Kerim 'Krimh' Lechner has a set of open hats on his x-hat as well.

I don't use a x-hat at the moment, but when i do i keep the hats closed on it. They're not closed tighly, but just have a slight amount of slosh. You know when you let your foot just rest on the hi-hat pedal (not pressing down) and then play the hats, just that kind of tension. Besides the difference in sound i see no use for having 2 sets of open hats on my setup; reason i use an x-hat is because i want to have the option of a closed hi-hat sound when playing double bass and i dislike drop clutches. But whatever floats anyone's boat :)

the only reason I don't put my extra sloshy/double bass hi hats on the right side is b/c my ride and tom placement won't allow for it.
drmssumr23setup3.jpg

the AAX's are my 2nd pair, and they just sit right above my main pair. I can play both open or crossed, so that is not an issue

While I’m thinking about it, there’s a guy on YouTube named David Goode who offers a great example of the benefits and great examples of using a hi hat on the right.

I use a set o 15" hats instead of a Ride when I play with the group FleishKrieg. It's industrial music, and Ride cymbals aren't featured much in that style of music. However you'll frequently hear multiple different Hi-Hat patterns and sounds at once. This was my solution for adapting the songs to the stage. I'll be on tour with them in the US from late September until the end of October should anyone want to see it in person.

In the preface of Gary Chester’s book “A New Breed”, He said that he used 3 hi hats. 2 on the left and one on the right. He didn’t really elaborate on it much and the book doesn’t have any exercises that require 3 hi hats. He also had a floor tom on his left. The book is about independence. Just thought it was interesting. It is a difficult book for me.
I've thought about that explanation for decades and still can't figure out why he had two on the left side. In the photo on the cover of the book it looks like one set is permanently closed (as you would do with the right side HH), but .... WHY!?

I've thought about that explanation for decades and still can't figure out why he had two on the left side. In the photo on the cover of the book it looks like one set is permanently closed (as you would do with the right side HH), but .... WHY!?
That’s a great question. I would say pre drop clutch but he didn’t play a double bass that I know of. I just sent that question to Chris Adams. He’s the guy that Co authored “ A New Breed 2”. Maybe he can shed some light on that. I will let you know if he contacts me back.

Back