When did jazz drumming become 32nd note linear funk?

DrumDoug

The other night You Tube’s algorithm offered up a small jazz combo video. I don’t remember who it was. At first I listened to the drummer doing the 32nd note linear funk thing, but then I started listening to the rest of the band. I realized it was just a standard jazz ballad sort of thing. They were all playing quarters, whole and half notes with slow chord changes underneath. I realized that if you take out the busy drums you could replace it with brushes stirring the soup and it would sound fine. A lot of modern jazz and jazz fusion is this way. Really complicated drum parts with the band playing simple underneath because the drummer leaves no room. Just something I’ve noticed. It made me wonder how a drummer or band leader decides which kind of drumming should go underneath a song like that. Either one would fit. I’m sure all y’all’s opinions will vary.

If it doesn't swing, it's not worth listening to. A lot of jazz I have heard lately sounds nervous. It's not for me. The guy who used to run cymbaholic sent me a tape of his jazz big band. It was very angular and didn't swing at all.

I've noticed more notes in every genre of music. People are getting busier and busier playing all instruments, not just drums. I think it's due to the online "look at me" phenomena.

32nd? or 16th..
Oh I know what you mean...the slow keyboard with the burning drums..
may be the drums are indicative of today's speed of communication
and the slow piano keyboard is the solemn "tough luck buddy can't escape Father Time" gets ya in the End
like both melancholy and manic at once kinda like modern life ...at once

😁

Last edited:
32nd? or 16th..
Oh I know what you mean...
This particular song was 32nds based and my perception of the rate of chord changes and what the rest of the band was playing. Then again, where is the line between fast 16ths and slow 32nds?

I know what you mean..
Keyboard is just staggering along -giving the drummer (if they're friends} open leash..
that's old school funk/ developed

the simple electric piano/ like two chords back and forth/ is like an old Gil Scott heron groove.
developed into - Drummers taking their pattern and multiplying it times infinity or as close to it..

what once was:
"give the drummer some"
becomes
"oh start to finish that cat owned it".

😁 it's an extension of give the drummer some
to "ok take the whole piece".

Last edited:
The other night You Tube’s algorithm offered up a small jazz combo video. I don’t remember who it was. At first I listened to the drummer doing the 32nd note linear funk thing, but then I started listening to the rest of the band. I realized it was just a standard jazz ballad sort of thing. They were all playing quarters, whole and half notes with slow chord changes underneath. I realized that if you take out the busy drums you could replace it with brushes stirring the soup and it would sound fine. A lot of modern jazz and jazz fusion is this way. Really complicated drum parts with the band playing simple underneath because the drummer leaves no room. Just something I’ve noticed. It made me wonder how a drummer or band leader decides which kind of drumming should go underneath a song like that. Either one would fit. I’m sure all y’all’s opinions will vary.
Because I'm of limited skill, I simplify my jazz playing as much as possible. If brushes work I'm all in on brushes. I sound a lot better with brushes and keeping grooves simple.

I keep wondering how stuff like that came to be. Obviously, to me anyway, this is that situation where someone says “I’m not into Bach”, and without ever having studied Bach, sets out to do his own thing oftentimes with disastrous results. I wonder how the band leaders even want that (unless the drummer is the band leader). I’ve already been berated by old school pro jazz players about how to swing a band correctly so I’m not sure where the decision is made to fill up every space and make it sound as nervous as possible comes from.

I've noticed more notes in every genre of music. People are getting busier and busier playing all instruments, not just drums. I think it's due to the online "look at me" phenomena.
I agree with this, at the risk of sounding like an old codger complaining about kids these days. All the instagram drummers constantly show off their speedy chops and offer lessons on how to be like them. They even talk about swing, feel, not overplaying, but then what they actually DO is teach linear patterns and how to build speed.

I'm totally ok with busy drum parts if it serves the song.

But overplaying while the rest of the band plays whole notes isn't really serving the song (most of the time.)

it just sounds like modern fusion to me...if I was into this style of music, it wouldn't bother me...but I am not into this style of music

Think it's Church/ Shed drumming about 20 years old..

..and it helps if you are around 20 years old
frankly I'd like to steal a few of the licks but can't say I've done so yet.

Gospel Chops.

Back