What's your latest purchase?

Not a Gear purchase, but a drum related one inspired by Mr. C.M. Jones. A new ‘Unofficially’ branded Coffee Mug. I went with Paiste for this one.

Attachments

• 2FC35CE4-2926-4E67-9656-C3691ADA5138.jpeg
    2FC35CE4-2926-4E67-9656-C3691ADA5138.jpeg
    896.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 1679C3C0-CF7A-4438-A76C-D644A0A72254.jpeg
    1679C3C0-CF7A-4438-A76C-D644A0A72254.jpeg
    524.1 KB · Views: 3
  • 517BE42E-6773-4645-B782-59FA73326EAE.jpeg
    517BE42E-6773-4645-B782-59FA73326EAE.jpeg
    480.3 KB · Views: 3
I got nothing...yet...but I have a tom mount, new hinges and springs for my DW5000 double, new Ludwig genuine diecast hoops for the world's greatest snare drum, and some well-used Sabian AA Reg 14" hats coming starting tomorrow. Hopefully everything will be here by Wednesday.

What's the specs on the shell?
Cast bronze, 6.5 x 14, 3 mm w/ 5 mm "re-rings," 45 degree edges. I’m actually disappointed with the drum as I was wanting & expecting single-ended lugs. I didn’t know until it was completed that the shell is too shallow for those to fit. So this drum may be for sale once it arrives.

Swung over to DCP yesterday since it is only a 60mile drive for me and I wanted (ok needed) to get out of the house.

I wanted a thinner slightly dark crash option as an alternative to what I usually have over my floor tom. Narrowed it down to a handful of 19s and 20s and ended up with the new 20" Sabian HHX Complex Thin Crash.......fit the bill and was close enough to the sound I had in my head.

Hopefully the various Ks and Avedis discs won't get jealous and pitch a fit.......they can be fussy you know....

HHX1.1.jpgHHX2.1.jpg

Just got an Epiphone tobacco burst standard lespaul yesterday...

I'd like to believe this. But without photos it means nothing.
😀

Swung over to DCP yesterday since it is only a 60mile drive for me and I wanted (ok needed) to get out of the house.

I wanted a thinner slightly dark crash option as an alternative to what I usually have over my floor tom. Narrowed it down to a handful of 19s and 20s and ended up with the new 20" Sabian HHX Complex Thin Crash.......fit the bill and was close enough to the sound I had in my head.

Hopefully the various Ks and Avedis discs won't get jealous and pitch a fit.......they can be fussy you know....

View attachment 114905View attachment 114906
20" complex thin crash!?..dude!..you ain't messin around!. I'm gettin on YouTube tonight to give it a listen. Love! it.

This was a custom order. Brass 6.5 X 12, 8 lug. Using it as a side snare but would work as a primary as well. Still fine tuning. Sounds great and records real nice,

Attachments

• 6.5 X 12.jpg
    6.5 X 12.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 7
20" complex thin crash!?..dude!..you ain't messin around!. I'm gettin on YouTube tonight to give it a listen. Love! it.
Lol. Some folks like to ruminate and spend bandwidth on all the drums they want and spend their $ on shell packs.

I have a thing for cymbals & snare drums........I always say I hit the Kick, snare hats and ride more than anything else with the crashes and splashes not too far behind......so that is where my $ seems to flow..... at least that is how I will justify it if need be on a witness stand.

One word review.... "Meh." More words: I've been using a Gibraltar 6700 direct drive which feels much more solid playing than the SK, probably due to the one piece base plate. The SK seems to rock front to back unless I brutally crank the mounting clamp on the bass drum hoop. Also, the end of the foot pedal on the Speed King is long - it hits the muffler ring of the Evans EMAD head. My trip down memory lane has ended, I hate to say it but this pedal is not for me. :(

Last edited:
Another Hamilton. I just didn't feel comfortable wearing an automatic while drumming and worrying about it's movement- so I picked up this reasonably priced quartz model that can be either casual or dressy.

h32411735.jpg

Last edited:
One word review.... "Meh." More words: I've been using a Gibraltar 6700 direct drive which feels much more solid playing than the SK, probably due to the one piece base plate. The SK seems to want to try rocking back and forth unless I brutally crank the mounting clamp on the bass drum hoop. Also, the end of the foot pedal on the Speed King is long - it hits the muffler ring of the Evans EMAD head. My trip down memory lane has ended, I hate to say it but this pedal is not for me. :(
This lines up with another SK review I read the other day. They said it felt "janky" when played heel up as the sections sort of clacked together when applying forward pressure against the pedal. It would be nice to see Ludwig do an updated reissue that keeps everything that's cool about the Speed King but fixes some of its ancient flaws. They could call it the Speed King Mk. II or maybe the Speed Emperor...

Back