what other hobbies, interests do you have?

I love 80s hifi. I remember the marvel of these hallowed things arriving in our house. Even the smell of warm electronics they gave off. And who doesn't love an illuminated analogue level gauge? ❤
Story please:
In the mid 1970's, I actually went to a HS religious Boarding school...

( side: I liked it, learned how to play guitar there, which is my profession, today)

...which meant the first 3 years ( if you lasted there!), we slept in big dorm rooms with from 50-30 beds* ( fewer each year as kids left), sharing big locker room and shower/bathrooms.

*We all kept our cassette or transistor radios and headphones under our beds!

BUT, if you actually survived and made it to Senior year- you got to go to the Senior Wing!

About 10-12 semi-private rooms in a hallway, with a few big bathrooms, for about 22 total Seniors.
(by the time we made 3rd year, we would hang our with our Seniors in the wing- so we couldn't wait for Senior year!)

So you pick a roommate, get to furnish and decorate your room, which meant buy a Stereo!

This was always cool getting back together with your buddies in the Fall ( by now, all good friends), fixing up your rooms and checking out our new 'Stereo Components systems!'- who had the best?!

I never had much $$, so $239 in 1976, got me a 20-Watt Sherwood amp/receiver, a BSR turntable, and ( 2) Sony 8" speakers. I loved it, got to play my new and old records. ( later a Sharp tape deck AFTER college, 1980)

But other kids had nicer, Sansui, Pioneer, Kenwood, Harman-Kardon, Technics, Advent Large, and Bose 301 speakers....

I got my Stereo taken away from me, for 2 weeks!, by Seniors priest moderator ( he had apartment room next to the wing) for playing ABB Fillmore East too loud!

Just discovered Duane Allman, Dickey Betts, and this amazing band.
Butch and Jaimoe!

Last edited:
Travel, fine dining, computer work (I started my own web design business in 1995), playing with the dog/s, watching TV, listening to music.

Napping in the afternoon has become a recent fave. :)

Bermuda! I didn’t know you did web design. Did bring Al’s drummer help you get your earliest clients?

Since I’ve retired and moved to Florida last year, my hobbies have slightly changed.
Steampunk is still my fav… now focusing on turning things steampunk vs. cosplay. It’s too freaking hot to wear leather, long sleeves and pants, top hats 🤨.
Also did an Industrial Modern design to my new Man Cave/drum room. A work forever in progress.
And… getting into the flora and fauna down here in Florida. My wife and I are redoing all the landscaping with tropicals. The animals are amazing.
edit add: oh and now part of a weekly jam band in our community …. great group of folks and we really enjoy the occasional sit down with other musicians who show up

ha im regretting asking now... you all have much more interesting lives than me XD

Before we bought it, we lived in a dilapidated duplex with people next door who lived extra frugally. She worked as a caterer to music and corporate events. He wrote some stuff for the local alternative rag while freelancing.

After they moved away we heard from them via traditional mail. She was working as the band's personal chef for Dave Matthew's yet again, on location for months while they record (she got the album credit, too). Had worked personally with Jewel on international tour, with a group on tour with Bob Dillon, etc.. He was working for Food network in production and writing things such as episodes for America's Castles TV shows.

I worked at the phone company, she, for the State.

Military history, specifically the Civil War, WWI and WWII aviation, reading, various collections, cooking, vintage cars, photography. I collected 1940s Art Deco neckties for years, and built up one of the largest collections on the east coast. Then, I didn't have to wear ties to work anymore. I sold about 800 of them, but still have many left hanging in the closet that never get worn. I am going to a memorial service on April 20th for a deceased family member, and will wear a tie that day. Imagine trying to pick one tie from this collection, and what you see in the photo is a small part of what I have.

Attachments

• TieCollection#1.jpg
    TieCollection#1.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Military history, specifically the Civil War, WWI and WWII aviation, reading, various collections, cooking, vintage cars, photography. I collected 1940s Art Deco neckties for years, and built up one of the largest collections on the east coast. Then, I didn't have to wear ties to work anymore. I sold about 800 of them, but still have many left hanging in the closet that never get worn. I am going to a memorial service on April 20th for a deceased family member, and will wear a tie that day. Imagine trying to pick one tie from this collection, and what you see in the photo is a small part of the collection.
Aw damn nice tie collection…. Those are art and need to be shown.

Aw damn nice tie collection…. Those are art and need to be shown.
I thought about having some of them framed. I always called them wearable works of art.

When I was collecting, I used to lose Ebay auctions all the time to a guy in San Francisco, a rockabilly singer. I guess he didn't work a day job, because he won all the auctions that ended during business hours, when I was out making a living. He claimed to have 8000 ties, all on display in his apartment. My kids were small at the time, so displaying them was out of the question. He and I did a little trading here and there. I haven't bought a vintage tie in years, but would if I came across some nice ones.

Last edited:
Hunting , fishing( salt and fresh) , archery , vegetable gardening and landscaping. Spending time with the wife and my three daughters . Hanging with my dog , she’s my shadow and follows me everywhere.

I love amusement parks and specifically roller coasters . Gonna have to check with cardiologist moving forward though as I just had and am recovering from a heart attack with two stents put in . I start cardiac rehab tomorrow.
I’ve been meditating and researching relaxation techniques, ( surviving the widowmaker will make you do that ) so I guess the meditation is a new hobby 🤷🏻‍♂️.
New hobbies , interests and things I’ve always wanted to do/try will definitely be happening moving forward also . I’m lucky to be alive and appreciative of the second chance to do it ! 🙏

well...drumming is my job, so

my hobbies are:
Mountain/BMX biking (my 2nd love to drumming)
collecting sports cards - I have over 40,000 football, baseball and hockey cards from the 60's till now
camping, usually part of a mountain biking excursion
playing nerd games...Dungeons and Dragons and Magic: The Gathering are my 2 most favorite
reading fantasy books (hence my affinity to nerd games) and non fiction about sociology, history, archeology, etc...
Architecture: was actually my first declared major in college; i love studying the design of things and drawing buildings.

I am a burgeoning teardrop trailer camping guy. I have the truck, now just need the camper and the free time. That will be my retirement plan for sure. Lots of travel to National Parks etc

Hunting , fishing( salt and fresh) , archery , vegetable gardening and landscaping. Spending time with the wife and my three daughters . Hanging with my dog , she’s my shadow and follows me everywhere.

I love amusement parks and specifically roller coasters . Gonna have to check with cardiologist moving forward though as I just had and am recovering from a heart attack with two stents put in . I start cardiac rehab tomorrow.
I’ve been meditating and researching relaxation techniques, ( surviving the widowmaker will make you do that ) so I guess the meditation is a new hobby 🤷🏻‍♂️.
New hobbies , interests and things I’ve always wanted to do/try will definitely be happening moving forward also . I’m lucky to be alive and appreciative of the second chance to do it ! 🙏

oh man...I LOVE wooden roller coasters...one of our retirement trip plans is to ride as many wooden roller coasters as we can, while camping in the teardrop trailer

I watch my grass grow, then ride, captain, ride!

View attachment 144542

I also enjoy my chainsaws, stump grinder and cold beer.

soooo jealous of this.....should have bought land, instead of big car stereo systems, when I was younger....

Back