what other hobbies, interests do you have?

I love 80s hifi. I remember the marvel of these hallowed things arriving in our house. Even the smell of warm electronics they gave off. And who doesn't love an illuminated analogue level gauge? ❤

My love for music started at age 4 when I started listening to KISS. I didn't get my first real stereo until about 7-8 years ago when I was in my early 40s.

Nice! How's that kerosene heater? Any fumes with it?

Not really. When it gets knocked around and the wick gets unseated, it can really smoke it out. There can be a little bit of smell at the beginning, but it's fine. It REALLY pushes the heat out.

I have so many darn hobbies that I am indeed spoiled......

My wife and I are avid bikers and ride MTB and gravel whenever we get a chance during the seasons and when the snow is good we will enjoy riding fat bikes on the groomed single track.....

I also hunt bird dogs on grouse and woodcock....

Fly Fishing.....

Golf.....belong to a local club and we both play regularly.....not a really spendy club but a nice course....

With the weather being so variable in the winter now and outdoor snow sports being inconsistent I got back into racing Rc Cars.....yes a total dork activities but damn is it fun and intellectually captivating.

My wife also has 2 horses so her show season for dressage takes up some weekends and is her primary passion hobby. I have music, she has horses and we share many of the other pursuits as she will come out with the dogs and carry a shotgun as well when the weather is decent, and as I mentioned we chase the silly white ball around the course together in regular rounds of "dammit" better known as golf.

Life's too short, you need to try all the flavors out there.......

Last edited:
Not really. When it gets knocked around and the wick gets unseated, it can really smoke it out. There can be a little bit of smell at the beginning, but it's fine. It REALLY pushes the heat out.

Warmest heat ever. We had a small drafty place of about 900 sq ft with no insulation to speak of and a Kerosun brand heater made it blissful. Lighting and turning it off outside kept any smell out. I still use it about once per Winter.

I have so many darn hobbies that I am indeed spoiled......

My wife and I are avid bikers and ride MTB and gravel whenever we get a chance during the seasons and when the snow is good we will enjoy riding fat bikes on the groomed single track.....

nice to see other people who enjoy falling off bikes in the woods.....and SNOW!!!!!!!

These days I'm focusing on the following things for enjoyment:

Slowly "learning" bass guitar.

Tweaking a modest home studio.

Spending about four hours a day (weather permitting) with our Golden Retriever.

Landscaping. Not because I love it, but only because I love my wife. It's really important to her to have a beautiful yard. We have a number of people compliment us every season on our landscaping. I tell them it is my wife's "Taj Mahal."

Writing--at the speed of a glacier--a movie script.

Working through my entire LP vinyl collection and reliving the days of my youth.

Road biking whenever my back permits.

Last but not least we are expecting our first grandchild (a boy) this June. I immediately sent my daughter and son-in-law his first onesie (stock image from vendor below).

RUSH Onesie.png

Every drummer should have fundamental skills on the bass guitar. How many times have we played without a bassist? We all know that sucks.

Landscaping. Not because I love it, but only because I love my wife.

For decades I, too, despised working "in the yard". I've learned over the last five years that it helps one learn develop patience. Something I've been woefully short of in the past.

Writing--at the speed of a glacier--a movie script.

Action? Romance? Comedy? Give us a hint about the protagonist's character.

Action? Romance? Comedy? Give us a hint about the protagonist's character.
The storyline is that of a boy's journey into manhood through the influence and impact of an unlikely mentor.

I'm hoping it's a drummer!
Not so for the protagonist. But I am leaning towards developing one character as a drummer.

And riding a bike that makes an SQ2 seem "reasonably" priced lol

seriously!!!!

I ride full rigid steel - OG Green 2014 Surly Krampus - so my ride is relatively cheap compared to most others!!!
Last but not least we are expecting our first grandchild (a boy) this June. I immediately sent my daughter and son-in-law his first onesie (stock image from vendor below).

View attachment 144728

seriously, that kid is set for life!!!! That onesie and a g-pa that knows his s**t!!!!!

I watch my grass grow, then ride, captain, ride!

View attachment 144542

I also enjoy my chainsaws, stump grinder and cold beer.
Not a bad hobby. I owned a stumper and used to do it on the side as well as residential tree work for my brothers tree service for about 25 years. I could retire anytime I want from my full time job and splitting firewood will be one of my hobbies/activities when I do. I enjoy it. You're moving around, outdoors and not killing yourself. But it'll be 90% electric (chainsaw and splitter) and not gas - no noise or fumes. My dad retired at 61 and did it until he was 86 and only stopped when my mom got sick. I don't care if you're 8 or 80 the worst thing anyone can do is nothing.

Also, enjoy fishing, concerts, swimming, carpentry, hiking, birding, motorcycles.

Every drummer should have fundamental skills on the bass guitar. How many times have we played without a bassist? We all know that sucks.

I "played bass" at my singer's wedding; the songs couldn't have been any simpler, yet my timing was pretty bad. There was SO much pressure to nail those notes on the kick drum. You can't hide a missed bass note.

That day I gained a new level of respect for tight rhythm sections! Funny thing is on drums and even more so on guitar, I'm like a clock, so it might have been the unfamiliar feel of the bass, and the intimidation. Haven't touched another one since (2001).

Last edited:
I like watching football (or soccer as you Americans call it 😁), Liverpool and Rosenborg (Norway) are my teams of choice. And being a coach for the team of my 6 year old son, so trying to catch up on some fun exercises. Other than that, PC gaming (single player games mostly) take up most of my time after being a father/family man. Honestly I couldn't care less about upgrading the house, yard work (I do the bare necessities on my very small lawn) and things I maybe should at the age of 40... Luckily my wife does not care about that either, as long as things are working and look decent, everything is fine. Or so she says 🤔😄

I like watching football (or soccer as you Americans call it 😁), Liverpool and Rosenborg (Norway) are my teams of choice. And being a coach for the team of my 6 year old son, so trying to catch up on some fun exercises. Other than that, PC gaming (single player games mostly) take up most of my time after being a father/family man. Honestly I couldn't care less about upgrading the house, yard work (I do the bare necessities on my very small lawn) and things I maybe should at the age of 40... Luckily my wife does not care about that either, as long as things are working and look decent, everything is fine. Or so she says 🤔😄

same re yard work etc....i keep the house up in a structural/maintenance way...I don't want any water damage/electrical problems etc; we keep the outside clean; we have a lawn that I can mow in like 20 minutes; but I HATE yard work, and i hate the heat, humidity, and bugs, so you won't find me out there for whole weekends at a time with bags of mulch, clippers, etc. I don't rake leaves - I feel like that is natures way of mulching and insulating in the winter. No chemicals go into the yard...

Back