What made you want to start drumming?

I was also lucky that way. No matter how much I played my parents never complained. Don't know how they did it. šŸ™‰

During one of her many times regaling my kids with stories about their dad, I overheard my Mum say anytime there was teen/youth trouble in our area she would ask the neighbours if they had heard me playing. She always knew I wasn't involved in anything bad. Well, nothing too bad :D

I would much rather have my kids, and their friends, bashing and thrashing in our basement or garage than roaming around bored. (y)

During one of her many times regaling my kids with stories about their dad, I overheard my Mum say anytime there was teen/youth trouble in our area she would ask the neighbours if they had heard me playing. She always knew I wasn't involved in anything bad. Well, nothing too bad :D

I would much rather have my kids, and their friends, bashing and thrashing in our basement or garage than roaming around bored. (y)

this is exactly what my parents said!!

Two people for me - Stewart Copeland, and XTC's Terry Chambers.

I always wanted to play n instrument and we had a very active band program in my K-12 system growing up. I started on trumpet and moved to sax, eventually taking 1st chair at All-state two years in a row... but then the second wave of British Heavy Metal and the mainstreaming of guitar-driven rock in the late 80s moved me towards rock bands. I took up bass guitar, but there was only one drummer in my very small town, so I decided to move to drums to have a better chance of being in a band. It worked! Over thirty years later, no regrets.

It just happened.

1984.....4th grade.....opportunity to join the school band and take lessons at school.......typical instrument options (no guitar/bass) just sax, flute, clarinet, trumpet and drums. Thought sax could be cool but Tim S. chose that and he was a dick so I didn't want to be with him and no one chose drums. I chose drums. They agreed with me over the years.

I always wanted to play n instrument and we had a very active band program in my K-12 system growing up. I started on trumpet and moved to sax, eventually taking 1st chair at All-state two years in a row... but then the second wave of British Heavy Metal and the mainstreaming of guitar-driven rock in the late 80s moved me towards rock bands. I took up bass guitar, but there was only one drummer in my very small town, so I decided to move to drums to have a better chance of being in a band. It worked! Over thirty years later, no regrets.
Thatā€™s a great story. You had a great background from a sheet music perspective which I imagine has been used thoroughly throughout your drumming years as well. Anyone still in school (or anyone wanting to play drums professionally) should learn as much as possible about reading music.

Thatā€™s a great story. You had a great background from a sheet music perspective which I imagine has been used thoroughly throughout your drumming years as well. Anyone still in school (or anyone wanting to play drums professionally) should learn as much as possible about reading music.
It certainly has made a big difference in getting and keeping gigs, writing music, etc.

What makes an 8 year old do anything? But , ya know, after all these years of playing with drums now I finally want to learn how- so Iā€™ll leave the why question alone and go with ā€œhowā€. One thing about drummers is either we have a collective consciousness or we all just steal cool licks and grooves and you see about everyone using it in their drumming vocabulary.

Whatever reason why it was Iā€™m sure glad I did because itā€™s been a constant longer than other hobbies, habits, etc. Itā€™s brought all of us together which unlikely we would have much in common considering our eclectic bunch. Well except our humanity but that doesnā€™t carry much weight nowadays cause everything is ideological so next thing ya know we are fighting or killing each other. If we ever had an in person DW forum party there could be no alcohol, drugs, or drum sticks because it would be like allowing guns in bars-and likely a blood bath lol. Just kidding- maybe?
I agree with you about 99% of the time and aboveā€¦but doubtful that a DW party would be a bloody mess, probably more discussion on gear superiority.

I agree with you about 99% of the time and aboveā€¦but doubtful that a DW party would be a bloody mess, probably more discussion on gear superiority.
I'd be thrilled! to speak with members personally. What a blast to meet you guys and see faces..hear voices and talk about life and drums. I think that you wouldn't know who I was unless I had a Bozozoid I.D. name tag. In many ways I'm different in person.

I'd be thrilled! to speak with members personally. What a blast to meet you guys and see faces..hear voices and talk about life and drums. I think that you wouldn't know who I was unless I had a Bozozoid I.D. name tag. In many ways I'm different in person.
Yes, now a DW Party would be something to behold and cherish! Like a wedding feast celebrating drumming

I tried to do it once at my place, a DW party.

Everyone is too far apart, so I got only one commitment, hyruleherojoe

The day the party was slated to happen turned out to be a beautiful day for an outdoor party too, sad face

I tried to do it once at my place, a DW party.

Everyone is too far apart, so I got only one commitment, hyruleherojoe

The day the party was slated to happen turned out to be a beautiful day for an outdoor party too, sad face
šŸ˜”

I *think* the spark for me was watching Mr. Hihat Max Roach doing a little solo on a TV special in honor of Eubie Blakeā€™s 90-somethingth birthday. I remember being fascinated by his playing and by his nickname, which my parents couldnā€™t really explain. There were musicians around me in childhood but they mainly played bluegrass, folk guitar, tin whistle, things like that. But they did listen to classic jazz too, so I heard the drumming on records at least. I just donā€™t think I understood or appreciated it til I saw Mr Roach in closeup.

I *think* the spark for me was watching Mr. Hihat Max Roach doing a little solo on a TV special in honor of Eubie Blakeā€™s 90-somethingth birthday. I remember being fascinated by his playing and by his nickname, which my parents couldnā€™t really explain. There were musicians around me in childhood but they mainly played bluegrass, folk guitar, tin whistle, things like that. But they did listen to classic jazz too, so I heard the drumming on records at least. I just donā€™t think I understood or appreciated it til I saw Mr Roach in closeup.
My stepdad Chuck who played professionally since the 1950ā€™s has an album Rich versus Roach which I used to listen to as a lad. It was instrumental in my interest in drumming to say the least, still love max roach!

Back