what made you want to start drumming?

SomeBadDrummer

I tried to do it once at my place, a DW party.

Everyone is too far apart, so I got only one commitment, hyruleherojoe

The day the party was slated to happen turned out to be a beautiful day for an outdoor party too, sad face
😔

bongoman

I *think* the spark for me was watching Mr. Hihat Max Roach doing a little solo on a TV special in honor of Eubie Blake’s 90-somethingth birthday. I remember being fascinated by his playing and by his nickname, which my parents couldn’t really explain. There were musicians around me in childhood but they mainly played bluegrass, folk guitar, tin whistle, things like that. But they did listen to classic jazz too, so I heard the drumming on records at least. I just don’t think I understood or appreciated it til I saw Mr Roach in closeup.

SomeBadDrummer

I *think* the spark for me was watching Mr. Hihat Max Roach doing a little solo on a TV special in honor of Eubie Blake’s 90-somethingth birthday. I remember being fascinated by his playing and by his nickname, which my parents couldn’t really explain. There were musicians around me in childhood but they mainly played bluegrass, folk guitar, tin whistle, things like that. But they did listen to classic jazz too, so I heard the drumming on records at least. I just don’t think I understood or appreciated it til I saw Mr Roach in closeup.
My stepdad Chuck who played professionally since the 1950’s has an album Rich versus Roach which I used to listen to as a lad. It was instrumental in my interest in drumming to say the least, still love max roach!

bearblastbeats

Well let me just say that the girls definitely appreciate a guy with rhythm and a steady beat.
Yea. I mean guitars only got their fingers. We got the whole body in motion baby yea

SomeBadDrummer

Guitarists miss out on the most important stuff, we know what they really want and it ain’t little riffs, it’s Big Bangs

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

My stepdad Chuck who played professionally since the 1950’s has an album Rich versus Roach which I used to listen to as a lad. It was instrumental in my interest in drumming to say the least, still love max roach!

I have that on CD, and the Krupa versus Rich album from the same series I think...

SomeBadDrummer

I have that on CD, and the Krupa versus Rich album from the same series I think...
Back in the day when vinyl ruled these guys were gods. It took a monumental effort to get anything into production, compared to today when any bad drummer like me can upload a video.

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

Back in the day when vinyl ruled these guys were gods. It took a monumental effort to get anything into production, compared to today when any bad drummer like me can upload a video.

yep...I really wish I had the actual vinyl of those recordings...

and I feel the same about the current ways of "publishing" content. There used to be the "filter" of the expense of, and logistics of, recording that got rid of the "hobbyists" and let the legit players shine. Now, that filter - among many many others - is gone. And not to say that there were not tons of bad stuff that got recorded...but not as much as there is now...

Square

In 2019 I had a stroke... That led to me playing drums.

The back story:

I have played guitar for 40+ years and occasionally dabbled with drums. I even took a few lessons from some pretty high profile pros over the years. The truth is though, I could play basic beats, and do 16th note fills across the toms. You know, basic guitar player drumming...

The stroke left me with speech difficulty and my right arm/hand didn't work like it should. I thought that playing guitar would be my rehab for the right side. It worked but not as much as I had hoped.

On a lark, I picked up a practice pad and a set of sticks. I saw immediate, significant improvement. So I kept going.

Today, I have 99% or more of my pre-stroke right side ability (speech, maybe 98%) and I've really fallen in love with the process of learning drums.

I just started formal lessons about a month ago, and I'm seeing significant growth in my drumming vocabulary. Anyway, maybe my story can be of help to others overcoming difficult situations.

SomeBadDrummer

In 2019 I had a stroke... That led to me playing drums.

The back story:

I have played guitar for 40+ years and occasionally dabbled with drums. I even took a few lessons from some pretty high profile pros over the years. The truth is though, I could play basic beats, and do 16th note fills across the toms. You know, basic guitar player drumming...

The stroke left me with speech difficulty and my right arm/hand didn't work like it should. I thought that playing guitar would be my rehab for the right side. It worked but not as much as I had hoped.

On a lark, I picked up a practice pad and a set of sticks. I saw immediate, significant improvement. So I kept going.

Today, I have 99% or more of my pre-stroke right side ability (speech, maybe 98%) and I've really fallen in love with the process of learning drums.

I just started formal lessons about a month ago, and I'm seeing significant growth in my drumming vocabulary. Anyway, maybe my story can be of help to others overcoming difficult situations.
You are an awesome person and worthy of this most lofty pursuit. I want to know more as you recover fully to find how this story unfolds.
I also want to see a photo of your 1964 Slingerland, Modern Jazz 12, 14, 20 kit!

Square

You are an awesome person and worthy of this most lofty pursuit. I want to know more as you recover fully to find how this story unfolds.
I also want to see a photo of your 1964 Slingerland, Modern Jazz 12, 14, 20 kit!

Well I feel pretty much normal now. Thank you for the praise... Now it's just a matter of practice and more practice, as I'm sure it is for all of us.

Here's the Slingy. It looks a little golden in some of the pics but it is really much more silver in person. Similar to what the snare looks like.

IMG_0107.jpgIMG_0139.jpgIMG_0159.jpg

SomeBadDrummer

Well I feel pretty much normal now. Thank you for the praise... Now it's just a matter of practice and more practice, as I'm sure it is for all of us.

Here's the Slingy. It looks a little golden in some of the pics but it is really much more silver in person. Similar to what the snare looks like.

View attachment 108298View attachment 108299View attachment 108300
This is an awesome kit!! I would love to see it in person but if I don’t get the chance you should play it loud and proud!

I had always beat on things when I was a kid. I was lucky enough to have a dad that brought plastic drums home from work on occasion for various storage purposes. They actually had pretty good tone, lol. The more I hit things keeping in time the more I wanted to. My brother had been given a guitar and I also messed around with that. I enjoyed it but it was nothing compared to hitting those plastic drums with small pieces of firewood. Once I played a friend's drum set it was on then, I was hooked. I asked for a set of drums for years as my ONLY Christmas present before I finally got one. What a beautiful start and great journey it has been so far. Far from over...

Julia Browning

I was a pianist and had not even the slightest interest in drums, but at a school pep rally, I heard a rim shot on a marching snare, and I was hooked ever since. It sounds cheesy, but it’s true haha

jimb

Became bored with bass after three decades. Ive now learned drums good enough to play live but Im being drawn back to the bass again mainly cause a quality combo and bass is such an easy schlep. Packing away drums after a gig is too hard at my age..

Xstr8edgtnrdrmrX

I was a pianist and had not even the slightest interest in drums, but at a school pep rally, I heard a rim shot on a marching snare, and I was hooked ever since. It sounds cheesy, but it’s true haha

not too cheesy...I hung around Ohio State's MB practices as a kid, and that was helpful in sealing the deal for me too...the speed, power, and flashy movement was just as cool as anythign I had done on drum set

and it actually propelled me into my carreer as a band director /percussion instructor