Upcoming Netflix Documentary on Drummers

I watched the whole thing and it was very well done... but not one mention of Neil Peart. Zilch. Nada. His name didn't come up once in 1 hour and 20 minutes.

It was like watching a documentary about US presidents with no mention of JFK. Utterly perplexing and more than a little disappointing.

I respectfully disagree. I don't think it needed Neil mentioned. Would have it fit in? Sure. But the content was great and I felt it pulling on the heart strings a few times.

I think this could have easily been a several part series though. But it was made for the general audience, not just drummers. So keeping a non-drummer's attention over several episodes may be a challenge.

Just finished it and I pretty much loved every second of it. I'm not really sure what its actual thesis was, though, other than Drums and Drummers Are Awesome. Which is of course true. I watch a fair number of musical documentaries with my kids, and while I think they would (and will) enjoy this, I'm not sure what they'd take away from it. Guess we'll find out.

I wonder if there's a director's cut out there of the drum jam. I'd surely love an hour-long version of that...

“ ‘Count me in’ comes out August 24. The preview features a frenetic Beatles performance and Abe Laboriel jr. raving about Ringo. Looked good! Should hopefully be 81 minutes of fun.

Really looking forward to this one - anyone else?
Danny Seraphine is featured…yes?

I wasn't a fan. Kind of boring to me. It really pushed caveman drumming IMO. Hard, loud, take no prisoners type attitude appeals to the young generations but turns me off. Still, it's nice to see drummers get some love, but IMO it only further aggravates the attitude that drummers are cavemen.

Some of the drummers not mentioned were noticeable to me, such as Peart, Watts and Seraphine, but to an average crowd, it was a pretty well rounded list of drummers.
Charlie Watts got plenty of mention in the film. I'm still blown away that Peart enjoyed a 40-plus year career as one of the most name checked drummers in rock history and his name didn't come up once. A stunning omission given how much screen time Taylor Hawkins (a fan) got.

Last edited:
I watched the whole thing and it was very well done... but not one mention of Neil Peart. Zilch. Nada. His name didn't come up once in 1 hour and 20 minutes.

It was like watching a documentary about US presidents with no mention of JFK. Utterly perplexing and more than a little disappointing.

This was the exact reaction I had.

It would take a Ken Burns type of rendering to be thorough enough to get all we'd like to see.
There were notable exceptions, Peart, Collins, Cobham, Appice etc but still well done with a lot of good stuff.
I'm appreciating what I did see not focusing on what I'd like to have seen, life's more fun that way.

Last edited:
I'm still blown away that Peart enjoyed a 40-plus year career as one of the most name checked drummers in rock history and his name didn't come up once. A stunning omission given how much screen time Taylor Hawkins (a fan) got
I think if Peart were still alive, he would have been one of the talking heads who got the most screen time. I mean, you’re right, Taylor Hawkins was on screen a ton, but nobody actually spoke about his drumming or his style or his importance.

The movie didn't seem to catch the essence of western drumming...I really didn't come away feeling drumming was portrayed as art...more as a pseudo-shamanistic bludgeoning subculture.

Blackman's playing was the most interesting shown of the 'current' drummers involved.

The movie smelled more of producer ego than an exploration of drumming.

I understood it's message and what it set itself out to be and I think it accomplished that.

I understood it's message and what it set itself out to be and I think it accomplished that.
So what did you take it to message to be? I’m not being facetious – – I’m genuinely curious. Because, as I mentioned earlier, while I very much enjoyed it – – I especially loved how seriously they took Keith Moon‘s drumming, and didn’t just focus on him as a wild man (although they did that too) — I really wasn’t sure what the theme of the documentary was beyond showing drummers loving drummers and drumming.

As moodman said it would take a Ken Burns type documentary series to do the subject justice. Kinda seemed like a piece of crap thrown together with a couple random name LA drummers to get some sweet Netflix money.

As moodman said it would take a Ken Burns type documentary series to do the subject justice. Kinda seemed like a piece of crap thrown together with a couple random name LA drummers to get some sweet Netflix money.
Nope.. the best documentary was already made it's called "the art of drumming", easily the best drumming docu i have ever seen..

Nope.. the best documentary was already made it's called "the art of drumming", easily the best drumming docu i have ever seen..
Where did you watch this in the US? I am unaware of any service that offers Sky. I would love to watch.

Where did you watch this in the US? I am unaware of any service that offers Sky. I would love to watch.
I have it on my Gdrive will PM you.. trust me.. it's amazing... i have watched it like 10 times (background noise when working)

I'll watch it, hopefully it'll be better than Stand Up For Drumming, the show they did featuring Fred Armisen, I had to turn that one of it was so painfully unfunny.

Oh man... i watched it too and can't believe i watched it until the end. I guess i was hoping it would become more funny :(

Back