Upcoming Netflix Documentary on Drummers

I watched it last night. It was okay, a pleasant little diversion. I liked seeing and hearing Nicko talk affectionately about his beginnings. For a while I followed Emily Dolan Davies on Instagram, she’s cool, so I enjoyed seeing a bit of her excitement too. But it definitely floundered and flopped toward the end.

Finally got to watch this last night. It expressed many of the same feelings I share about being a drummer. As a drummer, I was also able to share in some of the more personal bits, like when kids get drums as a gift. Non drummers dont know how that feels.

I enjoyed the movie. Non of my personal heroes were in this film and I don't care. It still did a wonderful job of explaining why some of us like to hit things with sticks, myself included.

Lots of fantastic drumming in the film too if you are into that sort of thing.

It was ok - I made it through maybe 15/20 minutes while doing other stuff.

There's something about these general docs about drumming I don't find terribly interesting - now a specific drummer or album etc. maybe - but drumming as whole - eh.

I swear it's all the same cast of characters as Copeland's documentary, which I watched recently too. Copeland's book is kind of interesting BTW.

I haven't watched a ton of these documentaries, but I'm tired of hearing about Ringo and Keith Moon and Bonham, etc. They were hugely influential, but the people who were originally influenced by them are really old by now. I'm 50 and those dudes were old when I got interested in drums (influenced by Peart). And time has moved on, with the current generation (and old timers who are still at it) doing absolutely amazing things. I'd love to see a documentary that skimmed over some of the history to spend more time on newer stuff - you know, within the last 40 years or something.

There's something about these general docs about drumming I don't find terribly interesting -

That's how I feel about music docs in general, at least the ones I've seen on streaming services. If it's about a band, it's often 60-90 mins of people talking about how awesome the band was. That's nice and all, but it gets tiresome. I haven't seen this drumming doc, but it seems like it's basically drummers playing and talking about drums. This is something I can experience by spending a couple hours on youtube, and that way I can seek out the players that interest me. Just like a fictional movie, a doc has to have a story in order to be compelling, and for it to be really interesting, it needs some sort of conflict. I have seen some great music docs like "A Band Called Death" and "Searching for Sugar Man," but these seem to be few and far between.

That's how I feel about music docs in general, at least the ones I've seen on streaming services. If it's about a band, it's often 60-90 mins of people talking about how awesome the band was. That's nice and all, but it gets tiresome. I haven't seen this drumming doc, but it seems like it's basically drummers playing and talking about drums. This is something I can experience by spending a couple hours on youtube, and that way I can seek out the players that interest me. Just like a fictional movie, a doc has to have a story in order to be compelling, and for it to be really interesting, it needs some sort of conflict. I have seen some great music docs like "A Band Called Death" and "Searching for Sugar Man," but these seem to be few and far between.
+1 on Searching for Sugar Man. And you're right. There needs to be some conflict. More simply, some thesis that director is offering and then documenting the proof. If not then it's an aimless wandering pointless set of vignettes that goes on and on until it stops. Should follow the Three Act Model. Most good documentaries do.

My favorite music doc was Genghis Blues, about Paul Pena. It starts with a fascinating main character whose life to that point was already a good story; then it embarks on a literal adventure of a lifetime with him, while he was still alive.

My favorite music doc was Genghis Blues, about Paul Pena. It starts with a fascinating main character whose life to that point was already a good story; then it embarks on a literal adventure of a lifetime with him, while he was still alive.
Oh dude - +1 for Ghenghis Blues. I remember when that came out - we had an arthouse cinema that played these kinds of films in our town and we all went and saw it - pretty cool.

Later in life my jazz trio would work with throat singer Baatarjav Erdene Tsoght from Mongolia - we did a cultural exchange program where he came to the US and we did a show of his music and ours - then we had a couple of pieces we put together.

Then we flew into Ulan Bator, Mongolia and played the Giant Steppes of Jazz festival.

A lot of that all came from how interesting we thought Ghengis Blues way back in the day!

Back