Upcoming Netflix Documentary on Drummers

Why are you shocked that people aren’t as enamored as you with something that equals a waste of time for those that really understand drumming?
I havent watched it yet, I thought I made that clear, ergo I in no way can be enamored with it. I was only making an observation about the number of drummers that didnt like the drummer movie. What wrong with that?

BTW you have insinuated that those who did like it dont really understand drumming.

I havent watched it yet, I thought I made that clear, ergo I in no way can be enamored with it. I was only making an observation about the number of drummers that didnt like the drummer movie. What wrong with that?
Okay thanks. So maybe you are enamored with the idea of a Netflix movie about drumming that IMO sucks. Once you have watched it (if you make it all the way through) then perhaps you should chime in. I was really looking forward to it but as is often the case, was sadly disappointed.

BTW you have insinuated that those who did like it dont really understand drumming.
That is a good point, I retract that statement. There are probably a lot of people who understand drumming better than me who like this movie. God bless em

Okay thanks. So maybe you are enamored with the idea of a Netflix movie about drumming that IMO sucks. Once you have watched it (if you make it all the way through) then perhaps you should chime in. I was really looking forward to it but as is often the case, was sadly disappointed.
I will once I watch it. I dont understand how I am enamored with it though. I neither like nor dislike the movie I haven't seen, nor have I given an opinion on it either way. At least I dont think I have.

I get what you're saying but then I'm reminded of Metallica's "Through The Never" movie where they actually thought it would appeal to a wider audience being released in theatres.
I've not heard of this film. My interest in Metallica kinda faded after the black album. I did watch Some Kind of Monster and wasnt impressed.

I've not heard of this film. My interest in Metallica kinda faded after the black album. I did watch Some Kind of Monster and wasnt impressed.
Well that suprises me a lot since Never was given a commercial cinema release while you had to track down an "indie" cinema to see SKOM at the time (might have been different in the US though).

Both totally different movies and good in their own way for very different reasons (but no-one's going to see either of these if they're not a fan of the band).

Well that suprises me a lot since Never was given a commercial cinema release while you had to track down an "indie" cinema to see SKOM at the time (might have been different in the US though).

Both totally different movies and good in their own way for very different reasons (but no-one's going to see either of these if they're not a fan of the band).
I have no idea if either were in the theatres here. I saw SKOM at a friends house.

I watched it. Didn't like it. Probably because the audience demographic they are going for seems to be millennials/ the under 40 demographic and that ain't me lol.

They made all drummers look like angry psychotics taking out the abuse they suffered as children by beating their drums. "Loud and in your face" was how they portrayed drummers and playing drums. You gotta be some sorta animal to be a drummer. Play them loud and fast and hard and loud and fast.

They played to the stereotype of what a "drummer is", and they made the documentary for a demographic of punksters under the age of 40 (and maybe aged seasoned punksters over 70 lol).

Disappointed. Offended. That's how I feel about the documentary.

Last edited:
I watched it. I was counting down the minutes until the ending because I at least wanted to see the whole thing through but I definitely wasn't entertained.
It was a mix of pseudo-cerebral nonsense combined with a healthy dose of Neanderthal without any coherent point except to repeat the pots and pans cliche over and over...

I'm not so sure I am put off by the inclusion or exclusion of any specific drummer.

I think I am put off because the presentation felt more 'advertisy' than documentary...or even 'entertainy'.

Afterward i was really curious about the flow of money in relation to the inclusion of some of the highlighted snippets given how far astray of the general tone they fell...felt like interjected commercials popping up at times.

"Art as expression not market campaigns" seems to have taken a beating here...and my imagination was not captured. (pardon the attempt to use the work of one of the more vocally missed drummers to illustrate the point)

Last edited:
I watched it, start to finish. I liked some parts. Overall, I'd say meh, mostly because of the way it was made.
*SPOILER ALERT*
They interviewed as many drummers as they could find (or afford) within their time constraints. They then grouped clips into half-a-dozen or so categories, based on the commonalities of what was said in the interviews. To give it a little bit of a narrative structure, and to keep viewers hanging on for a promised surprise at the end, they periodically interspersed segments of a drummer putting together a perfect kit (perfect for that upcoming performance, at least).
Given that the filmmakers were at the mercy of what people said, I think they did okay. It's just not my favorite style of telling a story.
My wife watched it, too, and gave the producers props for including more female drummers than usual. And given that she has been hearing about Neil Peart from her brothers pretty much nonstop for half a century, she didn't mind that omission.

I watched it. I was counting down the minutes until the ending because I at least wanted to see the whole thing through but I definitely wasn't entertained.
It was a mix of pseudo-cerebral nonsense combined with a healthy dose of Neanderthal without any coherent point except to repeat the pots and pans cliche over and over...

Exactly. And it didn't have any thesis or any sorta goal or objective. Fiction screenplays are in 3 acts and you put the protagonist in some kind of dilemma or conflict in act 1 that they spend act 2 trying to solve. Nonfiction or documentaries need to have a thesis something the writer and director are trying to show. This thing was all over the place.

I watched it, start to finish. I liked some parts. Overall, I'd say meh, mostly because of the way it was made.

They interviewed as many drummers as they could find (or afford) within their time constraints.
If Netflix has trouble finding or affording drummers then God bless the rest of us mere mortals. Meh is about the most positive thing I could say
They then grouped clips into half-a-dozen or so categories, based on the commonalities of what was said in the interviews.
Sounds like at least they attempted to pull it together into a cohesive denouement.

I only made it through ten or fifteen minutes. It just didn't interest me, right out of the gate, and I found that amazing, honestly.

Just finished watching . I didn’t hate it but as some others said , I was kinda looking forward to the end so that at least I could say I watched it all . I liked a few parts. It’s one of those things where if you’ve got nothing else to do you watch because…. well…….you’re a drummer 🤷🏻‍♂️. If I had set aside time to watch it I think I’d have felt cheated. Underwhelmed was my first feeling.

I just finished watching it. Some of it was entertaining (Nicko is always fun to watch and listen to, as well as Stewart Copeland), and some of it was Meh. But what caught my eye, was that it seemed to be an ad for DW drums mostly. I was half expecting John Good to get a producer credit.

Last edited:
Back