Thinking of getting my dream kit.

Jim Bob

I just got some extra cash from a lawsuit that's been going on for a few years. I still like my Renown but I'd like to get something really nice that's made in America. I play with a 24 bass 13 mounted tom and 16 floor tom but I want to go to two rack toms and two floor toms this time around. I'm leaning towareds a DW kit. I have about $6000 to mess with. Any suggestion on what's the best DW kit?

Collectors Series Maple. DW recently trimmed down their line since the Roland acquisition, so they're no longer offering some of the series they had. They got rid of the mahogany shell vintage style drums for instance,

Collectors definitely!

May I suggest an additional 10” tom - then you have a 3-inch spread 10/13/16 - nice tones. Anton Fig was the first guy I saw use these sizes. 12/13/16 is cool too if you’re a traditionalist though.

"SSC gives you full access to DW's tonal expertise. Artisans at the California Custom Shop will handcraft drums build you an instrument with John’s shell formulas.
Your kit will be a perfect blend of X-Shell™, HVX™, HVLT™, VLT™, and VLX™ shells.

Recommended sizing chart:
8”: X-Shell™
10”–13”: VLT™
14”–15”: X-Shell™
16”–18”: VLX™
Bass Drums: VLX+
Snare Drums: 11-Ply VLT™ "

"DW layers plies cut to different grain orientations—horizontal, vertical, and diagonal (X-shell)—to lower the fundamental pitch of shells, maximize resonance, and produce a complete instrument."

Last edited:
The Classic Series model ??
Yes, the Classic Series. I was shocked when DW unveiled their new website and found several lines gone.

This would be alright.

The OP said he wants a DW set. Why are you confusing him? ;) ;)

They must have morphed Classic into the Collectors Series. I didn't see that.

How are we supposed to read into your dreams? If you like the DW then go for it, and then if you don't like it you could sell it for something else. I'd go to a large DW shop to check out different wood configurations, too.

Last edited:
If you can find used in your configuration in great condition, potentially save yourself thousands. The savings allows for new cymbals or cases if needed.

Last edited:
Reactions: TJK
DW makes some great looking and well-made drums, but I can name a dozen drum kits that sound better than a DW Collector's Series. It's all personal preference though, and some people may disagree with me.

DW drums do the rock sound really well, but the tone is not as "clean" as I would prefer it to be. It's a muddy tone IMHO.

look simple Camco/Hayman -like

Nice.
don't look X-Shell™ VLT™ VLX™ VLX+
so maybe they are just normal?"

wait what John?

"DW layers plies cut to different grain orientations—horizontal, vertical, and diagonal (X-shell)—to lower the fundamental pitch of shells, maximize resonance, and produce a complete instrument."

ohhh.. but just normal..John right?
John? Where you going? Normal right? John? John!

I think they look nice. John! John?
I like that color!
I'll take em I'll take em! John where are you going?
I have a George Way poster in my practice room! John!

😁

Last edited:
look simple Camco/Hayman -like

Nice.
don't look X-Shell™ VLT™ VLX™ VLX+
so maybe they are just normal?"

wait what John?

ohhh.. but just normal..John right?
John? Where you going? Normal right? John? John!

I think they look nice. John! John?
I like that color!
I'll take em I'll take em! John where are you going?
I have a George Way poster in my practice room! John!

😁
The drums are great. That over-developed hardware had to go for me though. Too much weight. Their 7000 series or their 3000 series will do. Or their flat based stuff if you want a classic look. Or if you like modern super light, Yamaha Crosstown is the ticket!

Back